This doesn't work!

Options
I have read so many posts over the past several months that all say something like-

"I tried this or that and it didn't work. I lost weight, but then I put it all back on, so therefore it doesn't work, so don't do it"

If you did whatever diet plan you tried, with the hope of losing weight, and you did indeed lose weight, then the plan worked.
If you then went back to sitting on the couch and stuffing your face, and gained it all back, then it can't be blamed on the diet plan.

Whatever way you choose to lose weight- low cal, low-carb, diet pills, weight loss surgery, medifast, working out in the gym, etc.
You must have a maintenance plan in place and make permanent changes to your lifestyle.

If I worked out 2 hours a day in the gym for 6 months and lost 50 pounds, then quit going to the gym and didn't lower my calories, I would gain all the weight back. But I can't say that going to the gym doesn't work.

Find something that you can stick with that works for you to lose the weight. Have a plan for maintenance that you can stick with for the rest of your life.

There are no miracle quick fixes. Whatever you use, it requires commitment and consistency.

What works for someone else might not be right for you, and vice versa.

YOU have to make it work.

Replies

• cowgirlsrope
    cowgirlsrope Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well said !!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Amen!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You got it. :happy:
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! I've lost and gained numerous times and it's because I stopped doing what was necessary to lose weight. I've made some lifestyle changes this past year, i.e. not eating red meat. Most recently I stopped eating wheat, after reading "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis. I've watched "Forks Over Knives" and I am eating a lot cleaner, but I have not given up animal products totally other than the red meat. But the bottom line is calories in vs calories out. That's why I need to track what I put in my mouth---I hope I stay motivated enough to keep tabs on my eating!!
  • pichild
    pichild Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I couldn't have said it any better...for me a modified Adkins style diet works...but I'm not giving up the pasta this time I just eat less of it...I truly believe tracking is going to have to be away of life for me...even once I achieve my goal....for me the secret to success is as simple as MFP...the best thing that's ever happened in my life....with the addition of the support provided from my awesome pals.It doesn't get any better than that...
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Excellent posting
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I say this a lot about weight loss surgery when people ask my advice and want to talk about my experience. Weight loss surgery is great at helping you lose a great deal of weight very quickly. It does very little to help you maintain that loss. I tell people that they better develop some skills for maintaining while they're losing, or it is likely that they will gain most or all back.

No matter what you choose to lose, you'd better figure out how to maintain as well. Great post!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    When IMMEDIATE results don't happen for some, then they blame the program.

ATTENTION: It's not going to happen for a few MONTHS. You can lose FAST on some "diets" but 95% of the time weight regain is going to happen. STOP THE MADNESS and take the correct approach.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    so true!
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Well said. I try to say this, but I am not quite as eloquent! Good job
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I couldn't have said it any better myself. I have lost and put back on 40-lbs three times because once i`ve reached my goal, i went back to eat like i was before MFP and slowly gave up working out.
  • junerbooner
    junerbooner Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You are so right!!! Most of us have been on several diets that may have pulled off some pounds, but when we revert back to the "old eating habits", we blame the diet. A life-style commitment is what we must realize has to take place and keep in place. The old ways of junk food and being a couch-potato is gone forever for me!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't work, your likley doing it wrong. Something is off. Over estimating calories burns. Underestimating intake. Those are the 2 most common.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Too true. It doesn't matter what your immediate plan is to lose the pounds and how you go about doing it. But you have to have a long term plan that you can live with to keep off the pounds once they are gone.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Exactly! I get so frustrated with people who insist "I tried all these diets and they didn't work". Well...of course not if you're expecting a quick permanent fix without making changes in your normal approach to eating and fitness. Whatever you decide to do...you have to do it consistantly or don't even bother. Sure, you can lose some weight on that cabbage soup diet, but unless you're willing to eat that way forever, and not go back to Big Macs two weeks from now, its a purely temporary thing. I would rather not be on a "diet" but focus on living better....and sometimes that can include a Big Mac if I want. (No...not often)
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Waiting for "but ima special snowflake " crowd
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Eat Less .. Move More! It works!
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    me likess
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Very well put. I've lost and gained the same 100lbs a few times. This time, I plan on making it permanent. The last time it was on Adipex, which cut my appetite to nothing and gave me energy that masked the mild starvation I was experiencing from the Adipex. I didn't exercise, and I didn't watch what I ate or learn better habits. So when I quit taking the Adipex, it all came back. And then some. To make matters worse, I lost a bunch of muscle mass. So now I'm at 45% body fat and terribly out of shape! No more pills, just hard work. I want to be fit. For the first time and for the rest of my life!