Having trouble quitting Regular Soda

One of my main addictions is Regular Soda. Over the years I have drank TONS of Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Coca-Cola and Root Beer. So much that I'm amazed I don't have diebetes yet. I've tried to quit drinking this crap dozens of times, but I can't go four days without getting HUGE cravings for it. Not to mention the caffine headaches. Tried Diet Soda too but that never works for long.

I will never get this weight off if I don't stop drinking this crap. Can anyone give me advice on how to finally break this addiction? Something that can cut the cravings back?

Replies

• cara523
    cara523 Posts: 116
    Hello- I am probably not the best to give healthy advice since I have wayyyy tooo much weight to lose therefore not too healthy however I was that way too! I drank sooo much that I had dreams about my teeth falling out from all the sugar! On the advice of a family member, I tried COKE ZERO. Hesitant at first because me + diet soda = blah but I agreed and I was pleasantly surprised that it tasted a LOT like "The Real Thing"! After years of THAT, I figured time to take a nother step. Not being a water drinker, I tried Crystal Light to add to it. Not too bad but it wasnt my soft drinks! So I went some days Coke Zero some days Crystal Light on others and now I am on just water. It wont be easy but it can be accomplished! Good Luck!
  • Cocacoladdict
    Cocacoladdict Posts: 80 Member
    As you can see from my moniker, I have a similar problem.

The fact is that the only person who can give it up is you. The caffeine headaches will never go if you don't persevere for more than a week.

Someone here told me that generally it takes 21 days to work a routine. Whether for diet or exercise. Give yourself 21 days and if you cannot do that right away then tell yourself ok so you can have cola on the weekend IF you are good all week. That's what I am doing and I was worried that I would binge and just drink loads but I am not doing that at all! I think because I know I just want it and don't NEED it now.
  • Cocacoladdict
    Cocacoladdict Posts: 80 Member
    I don't like diet drinks at all. The sweetener tastes off to me so I have bought the cheapest bottled water I could find and just have that in the fridge
  • Keysted
    Keysted Posts: 21 Member
    Hi Iceman. I gave up all soda cold turkey because my doctor told me I was pre diabetic. I had been a Pepsi junkie for most of my life. I don't have any extra ordinary willpower other than I am scared of becoming diabetic! Now I drink black coffee, green tea, and lots of water. I can tell you that the cravings for sweets does diminish with time-at least it did for me. good luck to you!
  • julesan902
    julesan902 Posts: 79 Member
    I used to drink a lot of pop, too. However, I've switched to coke zero, which I find tastes exactly like regular coke and doesn't have the weird "diet coke" taste. Also, carbonated water. Perrier has a good selection of flavours. I discovered that I just like the carbonation as opposed to the taste. And lastly, try Zevia. It is a naturally-sweetened carbonated beverage (sold in health food stores/aisles). It's sweetened with Stevia. It's worth a google.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Hi Iceman. I gave up all soda cold turkey because my doctor told me I was pre diabetic. I had been a Pepsi junkie for most of my life. I don't have any extra ordinary willpower other than I am scared of becoming diabetic! Now I drink black coffee, green tea, and lots of water. I can tell you that the cravings for sweets does diminish with time-at least it did for me. good luck to you!

As much as people poo poo Dr Oz I have seen exactly 2 episodes in full - and one of them was about cutting down on sugar. One of the main culprits were beverages - I love Coke Zero as it is a once-a-day-treat that has no calories but I know it is not a healthy choice over all, so feel your pain. I am also a HUGE tea drinker so know something about cravings.

PP are talking some sense. Quitting anything is hard. There are ways of doing it - like cutting it back over time, or cold turkey, or substituting - which can all work depending on what works for your personality. I find that cold turkey on food items is hard because it is all a ritual - but one thing about it is that if I don't have it in the house it gets to be a nonsense to think about going out and getting it. Maybe another route to approach it is by seeing if your family doctor can refer you to a nutritionist who could give you advise about cutting it out in a way that makes sense for you. I would say the caffeine thing can be pretty significant given the amount it sounds like you are drinking - maybe some coffee of tea with caffeine but no sugar and low fat milk would help you with the worst of that.

Best of luck - in the end it will be worth it - great for you smile and great for your health!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    I found making the switch from regular to diet easier when I drank flavored sodas instead of just plain diet. Diet Dr Pepper, Diet Dew, Wild Cherry Diet Pepsi, etc. I used to drink diet soda exclusively, but now typically just drink one in the morning (love caffeine, hate coffee) and drink water the rest of the day.

There's also Dr Pepper 10 and Pepsi Next that have calories, but less than regular soda.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Here are many ideas for other things you can drink: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/water-265761

It's generally easier to get rid of one habit when you replace it with another. Because of the caffeine withdrawal and because for me it's usually easier to change a bit at a time (your mileage may vary), I'd suggest gradually replacing the soda you drink with something else. So for example, once or twice a day, replace a soda with flavored, carbonated water. Drink tea or coffee instead of another glass. Try other drinks... find the ones you like and drink more of them. Have the drinks you want to switch to more easily available. Over time drink more of the alternatives, and you may not even have to try to eliminate the regular soda because you won't be drinking it anymore.

Good luck!

P.S. Diet sodas weren't really an option for me. Some of the artificial sweeteners have such an awful aftertaste for me that I'd end up eating and drinking more of other stuff to get rid of the taste, and others give me headaches, migraines and other icky symptoms. So, I prefer the carbonated water, or when I have room for the calories, fruit juice, but that's just what works for me.
  • pdickey928
    pdickey928 Posts: 2 Member
    DR Pepper 10 once a week on sunday works for me
  • taliar93
    taliar93 Posts: 111 Member
    Hi, I don't know if this will help but this is how I did it, 2 years ago I was ADDICTED to coke, I was pounding down a 1.25L bottle a day by myself, and sometimes I could start on another bottle, I'd tried giving up a few times but the caffeine headaches always had me crawling back to the delicious red label. Finally I had enough, I bought cans, and limited myself, after a couple of weeks I completely stopped coke, I would have a coffee in the morning and then Powerade throughout the day until I completely went to water, it was a really easy transition doing it like that ;) Hope my story helps you a bit, even if it just gives you ideas.
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    It sounds simple- but if you don't buy it, you won't drink it. Just avoid that aisle in the grocery store, and avoid the coolers at the gas station. It can be done. Through high school, I drank probably 5 cans of soda a day- if not more. Your body will go through withdrawals from the lack of sugar and caffeine, but it will pass. Good luck!
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    I drank a ton of Coke. I was able to go cold turkey and stop soda. IStopped bying it and switched to water. One thing I d drink is unsweetened Ice tea. Its very good I i now drink tea instead.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    The ONLY way you'll quit is if you really want to. That's really gotta be the first step. You can't drink it if it's not around. Adapt by drinking better options.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    make yourself look in a mirror as you drink it and ask yourself if it is worth it
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    One of my main addictions is Regular Soda. Over the years I have drank TONS of Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Coca-Cola and Root Beer. So much that I'm amazed I don't have diebetes yet. I've tried to quit drinking this crap dozens of times, but I can't go four days without getting HUGE cravings for it. Not to mention the caffine headaches. Tried Diet Soda too but that never works for long.

I will never get this weight off if I don't stop drinking this crap. Can anyone give me advice on how to finally break this addiction? Something that can cut the cravings back?

For caffeine headaches take painkillers regularly until they subside, assuming you are otherwise healthy it's not harmful to take over the counter stuff for a few days. If you can do four days you are probably not addicted to the sugar, cravings alone do not denote addiction there are strict criteria. Look at the rest of your diet: work to keep your blood sugar stable by eating very low glycaemic index foods and low glycaemic index meals (combine ALL carbs with protein and fat, eat little and often).

At the end of the day a lot is up to your willpower, why are you allowing cravings to take over? How are you getting hold of the soda, are you putting temptation in your path by keeping it in the house, entering stores that sell it with spare cash in your pocket, walking past vending machines when you are hungry? Write down the trigger places/ people/ situations/ sights/ smells/ times/ moods and work out how you will sidestep those, do not have money on you when you don't NEED it, have drinks and healthy foods with you at all times, change your routine and routes.
  • cattracy0829
    cattracy0829 Posts: 177 Member
    I am working on this now...slowly but surely. I try to stick to one coke a day and some weeks I try to have it every other day. Some weeks are better than others. But I know it is getting better and I am working towards a final goal. My advice is to try and wean yourself off if going cold turkey would be too difficult. Best of luck to you in your journey! I am finding I can still have some coke and still lose weight...but being healthy is my ultimate goal so I know it cannot stick around forever!
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    I feel your pain!!! I LOVE pop. Coke and Mtn Dew are my faves. I have switched to diet Pepsi. After awhile you get use to it. i would say though that the best pop that doesn't even taste diet to me is diet Sunkist.
    What really did it for me was just adding up all the empty, unhealthy calories that are in pop. And I was drinking at least 44oz a day. It was like 600 calories. Me exercising doesn't even get rid of that so I just realized that it's not worth it.
    Good luck!!!
  • tendumom
    tendumom Posts: 17 Member
    Since quitting cold turkey isn't working and diet sodas are not an option (and not a healthy choice either), begin weaning yourself off. Treat it like a medical issue.

How much soda do you drink in a day? If it's normally 4 cans or glasses (for example), allow yourself 4 for a day for a week. Next week, you are allowed 3 a day and so on. When you get to the end, you can taper even more. Your body will slowly adjust. If moving down a level is too hard, stay on the current one for a while longer.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    You must just hate your fat more than you love the soda.
    I don't know what works for other folks, but that's how I broke all my unhealthy addictions.
    What I saw these things doing to my body disgusted me to the point where I grew to resent the very presence of soda in the world.
    I even rant on diet soda :grumble:
    No matter what tips you get, it still boils down to you.
    DECIDE!
    Good Luck...
  • mrsna
    mrsna Posts: 195 Member
    I drank a ton of Coke. I was able to go cold turkey and stop soda. IStopped bying it and switched to water. One thing I d drink is unsweetened Ice tea. Its very good I i now drink tea instead.

^^^^^^ This is it.
    Cold turkey is the best. I was having at least 1 or 2 cokes a day. I made up my mind to stop and I haven't had a coke since July 20th. I have had a couple of unsweetened teas but I really just drink water. Use a pain reliever to help with the withdrawal headaches, they will only last for a week or two. And I always try to "drown" my headaches with lots of water. Good luck! This will make a huge difference in your health and how you feel.