losing too much weight

Options
hi everyone.

i weighed myself today, and i was shocked when i realized that i'm one pound away from having lost 30lbs since i started this lifestyle change back in november. i'm concerned because i don't feel like i'm going about my weight loss in an unhealthy manner, but everyone says you're not supposed to lose more than 2lbs a week, so i don't know what to think. i have a bodymedia fit, and i try to be vigilant about making sure that i have a 1000 calorie a day deficit. i always eat back my exercise calories and i'm never hungry. in fact, last week i didn't lose a lb, but this week i've dropped 6! i do an hour of cardio, at least 4 times a week, and i also do strength training 2 to 3 times a week. is losing this much weight so quickly unhealthy?

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I think you're lucky.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    How much in total do you have to lose.
  • angelacooper3
    angelacooper3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You're a guy, you lucky whotsits always seem to drop weight far quicker than women. As long as you don't feel hungry and are healthy then it shouln't be too big a deal. How many cals are you having each day?
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've just lost the two weeks together plus a bit of extra water weight. Could well be exercise caused you to store a bit of extra water and now you've lost it again. I wouldn't worry unless if happens over a few weeks in a row.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    This! The answer is different if you have a lot to lose vs only a moderate amount. Also, if you open up your food diary it would be helpful to take a look. Are you eating back exercise calories? You are right to be concerned with losing too fast. There are some negative consequences to doing that not the the least of which is excessive loss of lean muscle mass. The strength training will help with that but still.
  • Huzke
    Huzke Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You likely lost a lot of water weight. Don't worry, there will be plenty of frustrating weeks where you step on the scale and it barely or didn't budge at all because you're holding water weight as well. But it will flush out after another day or two. It happens!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your BMF might be wrong for you. Maybe set you calorie deficit a little smaller. 500 or 750. Also make sure you are lifting weights and eating enough protein. All these things will help minimize muscle loss.
  • Em7b5
    Em7b5 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

i started at 245, am now at 215, and would like to get down to 185.

i also opened my diary. i normally have more fruits in there, but i keep forgetting to buy more when i hit up the grocery store.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    1000 calorie deficit is too much. Aim for 500 and eat back the exercise calories. If you eat too little, you'll lose for a while, but it is hard to sustain and you'll gain back quickly later. At least, that has been what happened to me.
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    well done at losing so much , you seem to be doing every thing right OP .......wish i was you :) well not male obviously lol
  • jnp96
    jnp96 Posts: 163
    Options
    I wish I had this problem!
  • ljb82
    ljb82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

i also opened my diary. i normally have more fruits in there, but i keep forgetting to buy more when i hit up the grocery store.
    Your calorie intake is all over the place. Eat the same amount of calories daily for two weeks and see if weight loss slows down. I would start at your highest calorie intake (2500) and work from there. Don't change anything else but your calorie intake.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Congratulations.

Considering how much you've lost I asume you had a lot to lose. I hope you're exerciseing to keep everything toned as much as possible.

Reference to your name: As you lose weight will you become half diminished?
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    You're probably fine, but it's smart of you to check.
    First, since you're losing faster than the 2 pounds / week, maybe you should set your rate differently? If you said, I missed it... how far are you from your end goal? If you're there, set you rate to maintenance. If you're not there yet, try 1.5 or 1 pound per week.

The reasons to worry about faster weight loss are...
    1) It could be due to a medical issue. Your metabolism could just run a bit faster than average, but if you continue to lose more than the numbers would lead you to expect, check that there are no underlying issues with a doctor.
    2) Losing too fast is often due to extreme dieting or exercise which can cause health issues. As long as you are eating enough to get your nutritional requirements and not damaging your body by pushing it too hard, you're probably ok. Also, losing fast often means you are at so much of a calorie deficit that you are losing muscle rather than fat -- which is usually not so good.
    3) When people do extreme things to lose quickly, they are often thinking of what they do as temporary. They aren't learning a new way to eat and live, so when they go back to their old ways, they go back to their old problems (weight, etc.). Slowing down the weight loss gives you time to adjust. It also gives your body a chance to get used to new settings. Fast weight loss can lead to a very drawn look and loose skin, which many people would rather not have.

You don't mention any of these problems, so I hope you haven't encountered them. Congratulations on the weight loss! Now work on the adjustments to make it a permanent, healthier new you.

P.S.
    I went back and see on your counter that you're only about 1/2 there. That's terrific because you got here so quickly, and you still have plenty of opportunity to slow down and learn habits that will be sustainable over the long-term as you lose the rest. It's likely that your daily activity is just a bit higher than you thought. Many people in their 20s are doing active things with friends that they might not think of as exercise, but yes, that pick-up basketball game counts, or walking across campus, or taking a walk with a friend.
  • mkatetay
    Options
    It is really up to what size you are if you are a bigger person and male it will be a lot easy to loss weight fast and at\ end it will turn into the 2 to 3 lbs a week..
    Good Luck!! :happy:
  • Em7b5
    Em7b5 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Your calorie intake is all over the place. Eat the same amount of calories daily for two weeks and see if weight loss slows down. I would start at your highest calorie intake (2500) and work from there. Don't change anything else but your calorie intake.

i always try to eat at a 1000 calorie deficit, so on days that i go to the gym, my caloric intake will be 2500 because i'll burn 3500 for the entire day. when i don't go to the gym, i usually burn around 2700 calories, so i'll eat 1700 calories. if i ate at 2500 calories a day, my deficit would only be, like, 200 cals on the days i don't go to the gym. am i understanding you correctly?
    Congratulations.

Considering how much you've lost I asume you had a lot to lose. I hope you're exerciseing to keep everything toned as much as possible.

haha. i didn't think about my name that way! i just like that chord. :D
    First, since you're losing faster than the 2 pounds / week, maybe you should set your rate differently? If you said, I missed it... how far are you from your end goal? If you're there, set you rate to maintenance. If you're not there yet, try 1.5 or 1 pound per week.

1) It could be due to a medical issue. Your metabolism could just run a bit faster than average, but if you continue to lose more than the numbers would lead you to expect, check that there are no underlying issues with a doctor.
    2) Losing too fast is often due to extreme dieting or exercise which can cause health issues. As long as you are eating enough to get your nutritional requirements and not damaging your body by pushing it too hard, you're probably ok. Also, losing fast often means you are at so much of a calorie deficit that you are losing muscle rather than fat -- which is usually not so good.

what else can i do to circumvent losing muscle? i do strength training, but should i up my protein or something? also, when i entered my weight in today, mfp adjusted my caloric goal down 100 calories! is this correct?

thanks for all of the advice. it is much appreciated!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

i always try to eat at a 1000 calorie deficit, so on days that i go to the gym, my caloric intake will be 2500 because i'll burn 3500 for the entire day. when i don't go to the gym, i usually burn around 2700 calories, so i'll eat 1700 calories. if i ate at 2500 calories a day, my deficit would only be, like, 200 cals on the days i don't go to the gym. am i understanding you correctly?
    Congratulations.

haha. i didn't think about my name that way! i just like that chord. :D

what else can i do to circumvent losing muscle? i do strength training, but should i up my protein or something? also, when i entered my weight in today, mfp adjusted my caloric goal down 100 calories! is this correct?

thanks for all of the advice. it is much appreciated!
    Calories is king. It is suggested to consume 1g/lb to 1.5g/lb for protein. Regarding MFP suggestions. I would calculate your own macros. MFP goes by %'s and those are not accurate.