I need some help................

Options
Ok, here goes

I started my diet on 2nd January, did really well until yesterday when I really pigged out and felt terrible afterwards.
I'm also sick to death of my work colleagues either (1) saying I need to lose weight, they have never been fat and therefore do not know how I feel and (2) them then saying oh I've brought chocolate/cakes/etc. in so help yourself.
Yes I know it's down to me to say no but it feels like they deliberately do it and I didn't take anything the other day from them, I said no. I feel like they can actually be quite horrible to me at times when I'm trying my hardest to get myself together.

Does anyone have any tips on the best food, drinks to have to start losing the weight?
Much appreciated,
Amelia

Replies

• z2bn3sec
    Options
    I constantly have co-workers bringing cookies/cakes/doughnuts to work while I am trying to eat healty. The things I have done to control myself is 1) drink lots of water and 2) bring healthy snacks to work as subsititutes. If I drink 3 glasses of water, not only am I staying hydrated but I'm also getting full, which makes me not want to eat the stuff they bring in. And if I have my own snacks, then while everyone else is eating their weight in cookies, I'm having something good for me like grapes or an orange, which also taste good!

Stick with it and don't give up. Everyone has bad days, but those are individual days and don't define every day. Good luck!
  • IMSOFEELINGMERIGHTNOW
    Options
    Well from my experience, i started drinking way more water and tea and cut out soda. That was the hardest thing for me to do, because i went thru caffine withdraws( tea has caffine in it so it helped a little). Once you get over that hump its smooth selling. As far as foods, I didnt stop eating the things i enjoy, i just ate less of it. I dont do the diet thing because i feel its easy to slip up, but eating smaller portions of the things you already eat is ok. When i did get hungry I ate more fruit and veggies in between meals. A year ago I weighed 260lbs and just by doing the things i said and excercising also I am down to 207lbs. Its hard and some days I wanted to quit, but my biggest motivater was GOD. So when you are struggling just pray, I did and it helped.
  • a778c466
    a778c466 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I started my diet on that day also! I have stuck with it really well, but I had to do some major research and planning. I stick to or slightly under what MFP has allotted for me and I go by what the Nutrisystem plan goes by. I don't buy their food because it is too expensive so what I do is have 350 calories for breakfast, including a dairy and fruit, 100 calorie snack at 10 am, 300 calorie lunch with a salad, another 100 calorie snack that is a protein, so a boiled egg is what I do. For dinner I have another 300 calorie meal with a salad and I have a 100 calorie or less yogurt for my dessert because I LOVE sweet stuff so that is my sweet thing for the day. I am VERY busy so for lunch and dinner I just have lean cuisines. I know that isn't the best but right now, I am trying to teach myself portion control. When I cook food I just eat it until it is gone. For breakfast I have a protein bar and coffee and a cup of pineapple. It has been the easiest thing for me to stick with, I lost 50 lbs doing it in 2009. I hope this helps! I also drink 4 to 5 bottles of water a day.
  • athjd07
    athjd07 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I work with the same kind of people I think they bring stuff in to save themselves - one little serving and then they give the rest away. I founf the only time I can resist that stuff at work is when I'm doing a diet that totally forbids junk - like Atkins or Thrive or Ultrametabolism (Hyman) Pam Peeke has a new book out about Food Addiction and even Al Roker - stopped eating processed foods - He has a specila on Dateline tonight at 7 pm and a new book about keeping weight off - even 10yrs after bypass, he has issues. Hang in there. I would love to have you as a friend
  • teresalynn53
    Options
    How rude for co-workers (or anyone) to tell someone they need to lose weight. No one knows that more than the person themselves!! I know it seems like everyone is watching what the other is doing/eating, etc.
    Hang in there, it isn't easy. I've battled weight forever....Last year I was so tired of thinking about what to eat, when to eat, how to eat that I gave up, ate everything in site and, sad to say, put on 30 lbs!! Already being obese, I now feel even more miserable!!
    I think if you can find a support group, even if it's a group of two, you and a bud, it would be helpful to share ideas, recipes, etc. My family is my support group. We are all dieting!!!
    Good luck to you
  • Kristineduerr
    Options
    I had the exact same problem with my co-workers at my previous job. For me, my weight issues are all food related, and if I start eating the sweet snacks I just can't stop. My two cents are:
    1) Find a friend in the workplace that you can confide it, or have a friend that you can call/text whenever they bring in snacks/make comments. I have an eating addiction, and I treat it like any other addiction. You need support to get through it.
    2) If your co-workers are constantly making comments about your personal appearance or what you do during your breaks (eating habits, clothing, etc), that is workplace harassment. Start a journal (written) and record their comments, when it happens and how it made you feel. It can be very cathartic, and it is also proof you can bring to your supervisor if it is something that really upsets you. You should never feel bad about your body or what you are doing to get healthier.
    3) DON'T EAT THEIR CRAP! I am exactly the same - I work in an environment where cookies and pastries are a daily freebie. If you're anything like me, that small piece of cookie that you break off at 10am will become 5 whole cookies by 3pm. Have a daily plan with a daily cheat, and stick to it as best you can.
    4) If you fall off the wagon for one day; a) Don't give up! You can still do it! b) Don't cheat yourself. Record it so that you know how many calories you did eat. That 5000 calorie day really helps you realize how much each and every day matters. c) If you ate it, work it off. Do extra time at the gym. Go for a 3 hour walk around the mall with friends. Just get off the couch that day. It won't get rid of the extra calories, but it can really keep your spirits up and keep you working towards your goals.
    d) Don't use just your calories as a benchmark for what you eat. Even if you ate 5000 calories worth of crap at the office, have a healthy and balanced dinner (salad with lean protein). If you don't, you will get sick. Stay healthy, it sounds like you are doing GREAT! :)
  • courtneysmummy
    courtneysmummy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your kind words. So many of you have made me think and think again.

I just need to stop letting small things get to me so bad and get the kickstart back again.

I'm glad I'm not the only one in the position of colleagues bringing cakes/sweets/etc. into the workplace and that you can also relate to it. I just feel under pressure.

For instance, my granda has always told me since I gave up smoking, that I need to start losing weight as I don't want to be heavy all my life, which I can take as it's family telling me, and he is only trying to help me. It's the fact that it's my colleagues (who are not main friends) that are telling me which makes me feel terrible, if it was my best friend or someone who had been in a similar situation as me then I'd take it better.

Starting tomorrow again I'm taking note of all my calories (whether or not I have bad day) and also exercise more.

Do any of you have a diary that you write in every day (what you eat, exercise, etc.). I was planning on doing this so I can look back easily although not 100% sure if it's worth it?
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your kind words. So many of you have made me think and think again.

I just need to stop letting small things get to me so bad and get the kickstart back again.

I'm glad I'm not the only one in the position of colleagues bringing cakes/sweets/etc. into the workplace and that you can also relate to it. I just feel under pressure.

For instance, my granda has always told me since I gave up smoking, that I need to start losing weight as I don't want to be heavy all my life, which I can take as it's family telling me, and he is only trying to help me. It's the fact that it's my colleagues (who are not main friends) that are telling me which makes me feel terrible, if it was my best friend or someone who had been in a similar situation as me then I'd take it better.

Starting tomorrow again I'm taking note of all my calories (whether or not I have bad day) and also exercise more.

Do any of you have a diary that you write in every day (what you eat, exercise, etc.). I was planning on doing this so I can look back easily although not 100% sure if it's worth it?

I keep all my food and exercise on my MFP diary. And for me, it has been definitely worth it.
  • a778c466
    Options
    We always have sweets at work, it is so easy to get off track. Ugh. I do keep a little journal in my purse at all times, but it has gotten easier for me because I carry everything I am going to eat at work that day, in my purse. I also tell myself if I do happen to eat a cookie, that that cookie does not define me as a person and people make mistakes. It helps me anyway.
  • courtneysmummy
    Options
    I might keep a wee journal myself. I have started to take everything I am going to eat to work with me too. It's so much easier as then I don't have to keep money on me to go buy myself anything and therefore I'm less tempted to buy any sweets, crisps, etc.
    Do you know what you are going to be eating the next day/week
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    just say to them ," u know im trying to lose weight , dont offer me an please "

and if they laugh , move away from them if you can
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have a little bit of the food, and log it.really, all I need is a tiny bit of cake to taste it, not like I'm going to waste away without it ;) I also get on well with the people I work with, so I joke with them about trying to lead me astray, that might work, just to make them realise that it makes it tough on you.

To start out find some foods and meals you really like that happen to be low calorie, and go from there! I plan my meals for the week, but always leave myself a couple of hundred calories "just in case" of cake emergency!

EDIT: if you do have a cake emergency and eat some, have it on a plate with a fork, for some reason it seems to trick my brain into thinking I've had loads.
  • jensnewstart
    jensnewstart Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Brain power will help you, it takes time and a lot of practice!!

Example, coworker has full candy dish on her desk (I think it's to attract people to talk to her, but whatever LOL)! I just look at the people stopping by stuffing their faces and think "do I really need that?" You can also reprogram your brain to think that the candy or baked stuff tastes yucky (I know it doesn't, but it gets easier once you lose the sweet tooth!)

Also, as you're losing weight.....they're gaining it.....who will have the last laugh!
  • ChristiMightGetFit
    ChristiMightGetFit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I had problems with co workers bringing in temptations and sitting them there in front of me, I had a really hard time with it...I couldn't say no all the time, but what helped me was sipping crystal light whenever I got the urge to take a cupcake or chocolate chip muffin that was sitting on the main desk. I also brought in little packs of deli turkey, small portioned packs of trail mix and fresh fruits to snack on throughout the day so that I could be munching on small bits of healthy food all day. That tended to help me keep my hands out of my coworkers cookies and other sweets they brought in to share.
  • samlankford
    Options
    I am getting ready to do Les Mills Combat for the next 60 days, so I know what I will be eating tor the next week... after that I just stick to eating super clean (vegetables, low GI fruits, lean protein, whole grains, healthy fats)... people I work with always have chocolates and things like that at their desks... they bring in bagels, cakes and what not but I rarely bother with it... just keep some fruit at your desk...
  • deannaturnbull
    Options
    Amelia there are many great food out there.First of all pay no mind to your co workers.That is mean to say to anyone.What I found is cutting out the sweets alone and you will find a big difference within a week.Take one step at a time.It is hard but you'll do it.....
  • a778c466
    Options
    I write out what I am going to eat in advance in my journal in my purse and when I eat it I just check it off the list and add it to my journal on here. You can go look at my journal, it is basically the same every week.
  • courtneysmummy
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has replied, this has helped me so much to kickstart my healthy eating to lose weight again.

Today, I have brought in everything that I am going to eat and if I get tempted, I will instead take one of my pieces of fruit.

I feel so happy today now that I know in my heart I (1) have to do it and (2) have the willpower to do it.

Thanks again to all. Feel free to add me if you want.