coffee question

Options
Good Morning MFP family!

I love my coffee. Black coffee- no cream, no sugar just good ole plain black coffee.

When I do my food diary I am seeing basically the same thing with different nutritional values.

For example:
coffee-Brewed from Grounds 1 cup has 2 calories ( this doesnt have the * so that means it was not added by a member) then a brand name,brewed from gounds added by a member (has the lil * thingy) has 0 calories

I buy a big tin of Tim Hortons coffee grounds and make at home and according to what a member added, it has 0 calories. It is coffee-Brewed from Grounds so according to the above, it should be 2 calories.

Bottom line, does black coffee have calories or no? (please say no) :)

Thank you!

Replies

• hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I use the one with calories in my food journal. I only drink 18 to 24 ounces a day, so it's a negligible addition to my calories.
  • b_stroke
    b_stroke Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    yes black coffee has calories and the caffine will cause you to be dehydrated so make sure your drinking plenty of water.Also its Only 2cal per 250ml
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I have seen more than one study - including those published by MFP members - that indicates the "dehydrating" effects of coffee are a) minimal and b) generally only affects people who are not in the habit of drinking coffee regularly (which the OP apparently is).
  • cara523
    cara523 Posts: 116
    Options
    thanks everyone! I do love my coffee and would never be able to give it up ( well, I shoud never say never) but I really enjoy it and I dont want to give it up!
    I guess on the bright side, since I dont use all my calories every day anyhow and I do drink at least 8 glasses of water daily, I should be ok :)
    It would be different if coffee had 100 calories per cup! :-}~
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i was wondering the same thing. i added coffee brewed from grounds the other day and had calories but today i barcode scanned my k-cup package and it came up no calories????
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat the little things. The calories and effects from dehydration from coffee is negligible.
    Enjoy your coffee.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21450118
  • b_stroke
    b_stroke Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have seen more than one study - including those published by MFP members - that indicates the "dehydrating" effects of coffee are a) minimal and b) generally only affects people who are not in the habit of drinking coffee regularly (which the OP apparently is).

Caffine is a natural directic which will if you are not consuming enough water can and will dehydrate you, and i would question studies made by non doctors or nutiritionist.
  • FredDoyle
    Options

Caffine is a natural directic which will if you are not consuming enough water can and will dehydrate you, and i would question studies made by non doctors or nutiritionist.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19774754
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    And I question blanket statements made by people repeating old wives' tales that have been disproven rather than researching the topic.

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12834577 the diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

"...nor does it cause significant dehydration or electrolyte imbalance during exercise."

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12187618 the diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

"The literature indicates that caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health"

"Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume."
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    doesnt matter!

i LOVE LOVE LOVE my coffee

jumpjumpjump!
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    And I question blanket statements made by people repeating old wives' tales that have been disproven rather than researching the topic.

the diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

"...nor does it cause significant dehydration or electrolyte imbalance during exercise."

the diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

"The literature indicates that caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health"

"Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume."
    My links were ignored, I don't know why yours won't be... :tongue:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    My links were ignored, I don't know why yours won't be... :tongue:
    "If the facts do not conform to the theory, they must be disregarded." :bigsmile: :tongue:
  • ursus_maritimus
    Options
    I am a hardcore coffee guy, in fact, my usual goto drink is a quad Americano (4 shots of espresso topped up with hot water) I used to take one cream and one splenda, but lately switched to black with splenda and don't miss the cream at all. I don't know if it has 2 calories or 0... but I figure it's negligible so I won't worry about it. :)
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Yes there's an itty bitty amount of calories in coffee, some people don't even bother to log it.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Are you really worried about 2 calories a few times a day? I'm sure arguments can be made that coffee will speed up your metabolism, thus cause you to burn more. I've never read anything that implies you'll wind up a raisin from drinking coffee anyway. You need a minimum amount of water daily anyway so as long as you're drinking that you should be fine. Now there are studies I've read up on that say you should drink coffee before working out. The caffeine aids in blocking pain receptors which mean you should be able to work out harder.

K-cups are slightly different than a brewed cup of coffee, but if the argument is over 2 calories, you can always stick with the 2 calorie cup log so you don't feel guilty or like a cheater on your log.
  • cara523
    cara523 Posts: 116
    Options
    yes, sorry to say but I am. 2 calories is not a lot so I would tell myself "heck! I can drink 5 cups- thats 10 calories I should be good!" then I find something else that is only a couple of calories and do the same thing and before you know it, my 2 calories could turn in to a whole lot more! I am really trying here to lose the much gained weight so I am counting every calorie, small or not.
    Thank you everyone for your input! As always, it is much appreciated! :)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    0 calories is just 2 calories rounded down.
  • drgmac
    drgmac Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    The amount is so negligible that if you do not log it, I don't think it will make a dent in your weight loss. BTW, I am an avid espresso drinker, straight up black, with no sugar or milk and I don't bother logging it.
  • samlankford
    Options
    yeah think I logged my coffee when I first started keeping track of everything (kinda important when your trying to figure out what is triggering IBS stuff) I don't bother tracking coffee anymore... I drink between 1-5 cups a day.. depending on what I am doing that day... I am a "black, no sweetner" like the flavor of coffee but can't do that with black tea, it makes me want to puke.. :blushing:
  • WalkerPop
    WalkerPop Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    2 calories/6 oz according to http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4183.