Working out at night, using the cals the next day instead...

Options
I don't workout until about 9pm. Do you think it will mess things up if I work out at nine and log it for the next day? My concern is that if I use the calories assuming I will work out, and then can't get to it...I end up eating over. I'd rather earn first, eat second.

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    That could be a vicious cycle. If you eat over one day, no biggie. Just be careful the next day. :)
  • sweetrevenge
    Options
    I personally don't think this a great idea. I would hate to see this mess you up. Is there anyway you could work out in the morning?
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evenings too after work. I allow myself to eat a little extra during the day, so that way it motivates me to work out. I hate seeing red in my calorie counter! I would just budget your workout calories during the day, but don't go overboard so that if you don't get to it, you can adjust your dinner and still make your calorie goal.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    The whole point of using those exercise calories is to burn them the same day to help your metabolism. Let's say you don't work out the next day but eat 400 extra calories that you earned the day before, those calories are just sitting there, not being burned off. Best to use them the same day they are earned, but you'll have to find what works best for you and your schedule. Good luck!
  • scottjaqua
    Options
    I promise myself to workout every day. Sometimes that happens at noon, other times not until 9:30 pm.

I do my final calorie tally as of when I go to bed. That is when our bodies make fat, cholesterol, rest, so that's when you should be at a balance between calories in and calories out.

If you go to bed without a workout and you are 500 calories over for the day, then your body is not going to be burning those calories as you sleep as much as it would if you workout 30 minutes before you go to bed. The metabolic rate that you create by exercising stays with you for 6 hours!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I promise myself to workout every day. Sometimes that happens at noon, other times not until 9:30 pm.

I do my final calorie tally as of when I go to bed. That is when our bodies make fat, cholesterol, rest, so that's when you should be at a balance between calories in and calories out.

If you go to bed without a workout and you are 500 calories over for the day, then your body is not going to be burning those calories as you sleep as much as it would if you workout 30 minutes before you go to bed. The metabolic rate that you create by exercising stays with you for 6 hours!

I don't know if all this information is entirely accurate but I agree with the general concept. I feel best when I work out at night because I know my metabolism is still revved from my work out.
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    If it was me I would eat over or pretty darn close to what I hope to burn, well maybe under estimate, then make sure I work out. It should be a motivation to make sure you get it done if you know you are over. If you go over and don't get your exercise in then the next day I would work extra hard in my workout.
  • werebeetle
    Options
    Only problem with working out at night is that it can affect your quality of sleep. If you exercise too close to bedtime, your body will be jacked up, causing you to have difficulty falling asleep or having reduced sleep quality.-Danielle, RN
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    well in some cases its easier for a person to work out at night. but i dont think it would be best to count your calories burns for the next day. its should go under what it is in that day. that what i do sometime when i cant get a work out during the day i do it at night. and i count it as of it is today. cause tomorrow may never come. so i do it on the day. that what keeps me going. :) i hope you find what works for you best. but in general logical idea the best is to count for the day not the next day.
  • tutujoli
    tutujoli Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the lucky, I guess, where I don't seem to have sleep problems working out late. But I've also been doing it since high school, so maybe I've just adapted. LOL

Here's my thinking....if I work out today but don't eat it, I'm about 400 under. If I eat it tomorrow and dont workout, I'm over 400. Isn't that a lot like calorie cycling? I guess the real question is, does your 24 day have to go from midnight to midnight? Does your metabolism set it's clock that way?