Suggest good salad dressings please!

Options
1235»

Replies

• 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm new to this site and have a question for you successful dieters!
    Dinner time is my problem time of day. I'm going to try cutting down on dinner portion sizes and adding a salad most nights. I don't like the non-fat dressings I've used in the past; so many seem either too artificially sweet or too acidic. Can anyone suggest a good brand of non-fat or very low-fat dressing? Or a simple home salad dressing recipe you like?
    I am a Honey Mustard lover. Best I have found
    1/2 C non fat or reduced fat Mayonnaise
    1/4 cup honey
    1/4 cup yellow mustard
    2 T lemon juice
    combine all ingredients in small bowl whip together well
    store in fridge several hours to chill.
    I double recipe, use an old dressing bottle to store it in. Stays good for months.
    per Tablespoon) calories 21 ) Fat 0.2 g ) fiber 0.1 g ) protein 0.2 g sodium 119 mg
    Like any dressing use sparingly . ( I used to drown my salad in it, I started cutting back & realized salad actually has flavor without so much dressing ;)
  • HerbieMomof9
    Options
    Try using salsa instead of dressing. It comes in all kinds of flavors and is very low is calories and naturally fat free.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm new to this site and have a question for you successful dieters!
    Dinner time is my problem time of day. I'm going to try cutting down on dinner portion sizes and adding a salad most nights. I don't like the non-fat dressings I've used in the past; so many seem either too artificially sweet or too acidic. Can anyone suggest a good brand of non-fat or very low-fat dressing? Or a simple home salad dressing recipe you like?

Walden Farms Sugar Free Thousand Island Dressing -- Delicious - Zero Calorie -- Zero Carb
  • merapp9
    merapp9 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Waldons Farm is sugar free...calorie free....carb free and glueton free...some are kind of "diety" tasting but tge Italian dressing is yummy!
  • kellie1055
    kellie1055 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The BEST ranch dressing Ive ever eaten is the Boathouse Ranch made with yogurt. Its in the fridge section and only has 45 calories for 2 TBS. My whole family refuses to eat any other dressing.
  • LDricoll
    LDricoll Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hindrickson's sweet vinegar and oil. 70 cals for 2 TBSP. But a little goes a long way and it is all natural
  • tinamfiore
    Options
    I don't like dressings that taste fake and I've found a keeper with the Bolthouse Farms Creamy Yogurt line. The Caesar Parmigiano dressing is only 45 calories for 2 tsps. They also have a Chunky Blue Cheese one for only 35 calories that my boyfiend loves.
  • Annerrc
    Options
    Wow! You are all awesome - thanks for your great suggestions! I can't wait to get to the grocery store and buy some of the recommended dressings, and I'll definitely try some of the home recipes too. All these ideas will make having an interesting salad each night a real pleasure. I didn't realize how many good dressings were out there, and most of those brands are available where I live. Again, thank you to all who anwsered my question!
  • lmkuhn596
    lmkuhn596 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was never a fan of fat free dressing but I LOVE Kraft fat free rasberry vinagrette!
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes has a cilantro dressing that is really good.
  • NatashaCeeLow1
    NatashaCeeLow1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I am being good, I make my own salad dressing. Something I would have turned my nose up at before probably. It is simple, some olive or canola oil, vinegar, and parsley or basil seasoning. Simple and easy. My kids even like it now.
  • LuckBeWithU
    LuckBeWithU Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Maple Grove Farms of Vermont (Grocery Store)

Honey Dijon
    Balsamic Vinaigrette

Both Fat Free with an amazing taste...
  • myidiotbox
    myidiotbox Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    the walden farms zero calorie dressings have saved my butt many times over. i've tried all of them expect the brand new flavors and i'll admit some of them are disgusting (calorie free bacon ranch? no thanks), but the italian sun dried tomato, asian, jersey sweet onion and honey dijon are always in my fridge. here's a link to order online if you're interested in checking them out - http://www.waldenfarms.com/products/dressings.html
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    My fav is Kraft Zesty Italian, it is even good marinating chicken breasts in, and it is only 5 cal per tbsp
  • Ashley578
    Options
    I make my own ranch dressing and I LOVE it! Here's the recipe:

1 cup Dannon Oikos plain nonfat greek yogurt
    1 packet hidden valley ranch (dressing, not dip)
    1/2 cup 1% milk

Whisk together in bowl and chill for 1 hour before serving. This fills a canning jar. There is a lot of talk about HOW much milk to use, to get the right consistency and I found this dead on for 'regular' ranch or any other creamy dressing.

The best part....the ENTIRE jar of dressing, is only 255 calories, 1.75 grams of fat, 42 carbs and 34 protein. That calculates to 8pts on the new points plus system. For an entire jar of dressing. I would hazard a guess that this would yield about 20-24 servings.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will used balsamic vinegar sometimes dark sometimes white.

Other times I might say to hell with it and go for a full fat option and use it as a treat. I eat very few processed foods so my view is I can treat myself to this sometimes. I like Briannas Honey Mustard or Ranch.

Paul Newmans does phenomenal dressings but we don't have so many over here in the UK.

We have something in the UK called salad cream. The only way I can describe it is a tart sort of mayonnaise. It;s a lot thinner than mayo.... it's just so difficult to describe! LOL There is a light version which is pretty low in cals.

Sometimes I will make a dressing out of 2% Greek Yoghurt with mustard, Worcester sauce, pepper, garlic, lemon and sometimes a touch of oil.

Failing that a good old fashioned squeeze of lime. :)
  • PaulaPalooza
    PaulaPalooza Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    bump. Been craving salads with lots of veggies, tomatoes... Mmmm. sounds damn good.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I use the juice from the jar of yellow pepper rings and a few spices.
  • SlinkySpencer
    SlinkySpencer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't like most light dressing too much either, so I usually opt to use a different food instead, like light cottage cheese or salsa, or even a tablespoon of guacamole (avocado is just full of good fats).