my body/mental transformation starting today

Options
Hello. My name is Kat and I have had a major battle with food and weight since I was a child. My parents did not teach me good eating habits, we were encourage to eat multiple servings and eat as much as possible at buffets to ''get our money's worth''. When I graduated high school, I weighed in at around 265lbs. I'm 5'11" tall and do have a larger frame (size 11 - 12 woman's shoe).

When I went to college in 2002, I decided I would lose the weight, but was afraid of food and the more weight I lost, the less I ate so I would lose it faster. In about a year, I had manage to lose 120lbs, but unfortunately became anorexic to do it.

I met my husband in college in 2003 and because I could no longer avoid food since he ate regularly, I quickly fell back into my childhood eating habits, which shot me up to around 200lbs in only a few months.

My husband doesn't have the portion issues I have, but he does like to go out to eat, which is even worse when combined with my binge eating.

When he is onboard to lose weight, I lose weight, but unfortunately for me, his motivation doesn't last long.

In 2006, my husband and I joined a local gym biggest loser competition and in 3 months we had lost a combined 55lbs(I lost 35lbs) but as soon as that was over, he fell into old habits and I quickly lost my motivation as well.

In 2010, my husband and I finally got married, and after about 6 month's of dieting and exercise, I got down to 190lbs, but when we came back from our honeymoon, he didn't want to diet and neither did I!

So here we are in 2013, another year older and still, in a body I'm not happy with. I've been going back and forth this past year, trying to get my husband motivated, because when he does well, so do I. But I've decided I can't wait around anymore, and maybe if I can find motivation outside of my husband, I might have a chance of making a permanent change for the rest of my life.

I don't have many friends here and whenever I talk to them about losing weight together, I can tell they aren't mentally willing to change and I need something or someone that is willing to stick it out.

I have learned a lot about myself and why I keep failing at my attempts to lose weight, and this is the first time I believe myself when I say ''I'm going to do it''.

I'm enrolled in PE this quarter at college and have a minimum requirement of 3 hours a week to make a 4.0

If none of my friends or husband are going to keep me in check or motivated, I'm leaving it up to you.

Post if you want, or just read along, I am going to try to post updates at least 3 times a week and my food/exercise log should be viewable to everyone, so feel free to leave comments on something I do right or wrong.

My overall goal is 170lbs
Today I weighed in at 247.9lbs.

I'll have my first update no later than Monday afternoon.

Replies

• me4sweetd
    me4sweetd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I went to Best Buy and bought a fitbit Aria Scale and a Fitbit One tracker. I really light the scale because I don't have to worry about logging my weight anymore since it syncs with MFP wirelessly. I'm still kindof iffy on the One Tracker. It seem to do a good job on my sleep habit, but I haven't had a chance to use it for a full day, or during a real workout, which I plan on doing on monday.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    That's good man...The scale and tracking my cals has made a big difference for me.
  • me4sweetd
    me4sweetd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    OK so week one with my new mental attitude towards food and exercise went pretty smoothly. I had a hard time saying goodbye to alcohol but did log anything I drank and limited my intake per night. Last weekend I did a good amount of research on how the body burns calories, net vs. gross calorie counting, and how to calculate accurate calories while working out at the gym. Monday, Tuesday, and Today I went to the Gym with my heart rate monitor and recorded the sessions including time per machine, Average Heart rate, distance, and speed, and recorded the calories burned based on online calculators rather than what the machine said.

I was doing well on weight loss, but I took Wed, Thus, and Fri off from the gym and went up a pound from yesterday when I weighed in this morning. My overall weight loss for this week is 4.6 lbs so I'm not beating myself up about it.

My friend and I have decided to do a 5K Zombie Run Obsticle Course in late August and I'm determined to be fit enough to do it when the time comes. I am not sure at what pace I should be pushing myself or realistically how long it would take to train to run a 5K at a pretty fast pace. I don't run right now and I need to buy some string closing pants, because the stretchy ones try to bounce right off my *kitten* when I attempt to run.

I'm going to see Lady Gaga in concert on monday so I plan to pack a bunch of small single serving snacks like cheeses, apples, and shelf stable nutrisystem meals so I hopefully won't deviate from my diet too bad.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You should make blog posts!
  • dsgoingtodoit
    dsgoingtodoit Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm on a similar journey... happy to be a friend as we both go down this path. Now I'm older...and have two children...but the weight loss journey is the same. I was told by a friend once that I was wanting my husband to be my co-dependent weight loss buddy...and I said "Yes, yes I do!". While that is funny in one way...I can't make my motivation his responsibility. So - here we are. I'm going to do this...and the weight loss friends on this wonderful site are how I plan to seek the support I need...along with the others around me that I trust. So...here's to your success!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I was just looking for couch to 5K plans on the internet and the one I found so far was starting at 30 minutes walking, then going up to 27 walking and 3 running, with each week swapping 3 more minutes from walk to run until you get to 30 minutes running and 0 walking. There were a few variations thrown in (go back from 24/6 to 27/3 one day and then return) and from what I could tell you were able to decide for yourself how to allocate the running times such as one 3-minute run, or six 30-second runs, etc. You run three times a week, in (obviously) 30 minute sessions every time. Apparently people do this in 9 weeks, so by August you could be more than ready if you put in the time. :)