How to stay on track on a cruise?

Options
How do you stay on track on a cruise?

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Don't go on cruises, fill your plate and stomach with lean protein, fruit and veggies before other stuff, practice portion control, only have the unhealthy foods you truly adore, exercise, old fashioned willpower.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    LOL I don't think you do! Not completely. I'd suggest picking one meal each day to be your 'indulgance' meal, that one meal is when you let yourself overeat and let yourself have some of the more decadent foods. The other two meals that day have to be much more healthy. Also, use the ship's gym or walk/jog around the deck a few times. You're on vacation, enjoy it. Cruises have amazing food and you shouldn't completely deny yourself of the experience. Just don't completely go off the rails. Or ...don't go overboard, bah dum chhhhh!
  • dutchess42856
    dutchess42856 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The cruise I went on was all about choices. Every meal had alternatives. I did splurge some, but I knew it was a choice.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Another thing is to at least have dinner in a dining room. The portions are usually reasonable and there should be delicious, but healthy choices. Stay away from the buffets as much as possible! Also, don't worry about it, too much. Have fun!

Use the gym, walk the deck before meals, take the stairs, and indulge yourself a little, too. I've been on three cruises since joining MFP and it really hasn't set me back much. If you gain a couple of pounds you know how to get back on track.
  • janice775
    janice775 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! That's kinda what i thought too we will be doing alot of walking and swimming and i plan on hitting the gym too!
  • janice775
    Options
    Thanks!! I will make good choices!
  • janice775
    Options
    LOL!! Thanks!
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself but don't go crazy. Hit the gym up or the outside track, or do at least one active thing a day, and then forget about it. Just because all that food is there doesn't mean you have to eat it, but you can try it!
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I joined a boot camp on the cruise I just did :) If there are any fun classes on your ship, go for it! Don't go crazy, of course, but just kind of make good choices. What ship are you going on?
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    never ever take the elevator. go to the gym. do active excursions (on my alaskan cruise we did a 2 hour kayak excursion and walked into town in each port). try a little of everything on the cruise (I'm a picky eater but one day they had an alaskan food buffet with reindeer and a few other native foods. I had a bite of 2 or 3 things during the dessert extravaganza). The buffet was not all that fabulous but the sit down meals were great and were not large portions.

above all, enjoy!
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I started on Dukan, but I didn't like that I couldn't have veggies on my protein days, and went from alternating to ALL protein/veggie days and look at me now almost a year later primarily low fat raw vegan. I have left the days of meatful plates behind and eat primarily veggies and fruits, all because I came to love and crave them so much from the Dukan diet.

www.me-on-dukan.blogspot.com
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Walk a LOT! Take a walking tour or two around the boat a few times a day and eat in the fancy dining room rather than any of the buffets so that you just get the one simple, portion controlled meal rather than heap on lots of junk at the "serve yourself" areas. Swim, walk, avoid too many desserts.

When it comes down to it though, screw all the advice and just have fun!
  • janice775
    Options
    royal crib mariner of the seas
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I love Royal Caribbean. I went on a 7 day RC cruise several years ago and loved every minute of it. Especially the buffet area! It's a very nice cruise line. I'm ready to go again, we've been talking about it actually.