Former addict....of diet coke.

Options
I started drinking diet coke everyday when I was 15 years old, I am now 22.
What inspired me? A character from a book! xD
(If anyone is curious, it's Morgan Rowland from the Wicca/Sweep series, awesome books for young teens.)
So she would have a can or two a day and I ended up thinking, "I wanna be like her, she's so cool, I'm gonna drink diet coke just like her!" well...it was something along those lines.
But I didn't end up having only one or two cans a day, I ended up having 2 to 3 litres a day for years!

Well last year I kicked that addiction right in the face, and I am proud to say I am now 10 months free of diet coke!
Can I ever have it again? Sure, if there is literally nothing else to drink and I'm very thirsty. But otherwise, no thank you!
No thank you to the sweeteners especially.

No miracles happened, my skin wasn't any better, my hair wasn't any glossier. But! I did gain this; control.
Control of what I put into my mouth and feeling good that it was nutritional/beneficial instead of messing my body up.

So how did I do this?
-Distraction is a blessing, you feel a craving for the diet soda crap, sip some water and watch something online/tv or read a book/draw/write, whatever distracts you.
-Replace with yummy drinks that are not going to send your insulin up! I chose natural squash and pomegrante juice (yum!)
-The money you save from not buying any of it, use to treat yourself to something non-drink related. I bought a pretty dress ^_^
-Get that *kitten* out of your house! I know this is impossible in some family situations, but if you can inspire your household to kick it out the front door it'll be awesome for you.
-Out and about? Invest in a decent water bottle. (I actually got mine for free when searching online, sadly the deal is over now but check around!)
-Most importantly; educate yourself. Read on why it's bad for you and keep it in your mind when confronted with temptation. If you are an addict right now, you took the first few steps just by reading my post and for that I want to say WELL DONE YOU CAN DO THIS!

I thought it was going to be impossible to beat, but I promise you it is worth every squirm and whine you're going to go through when trying to kick it out of your life.

Good luck and don't forget - you have the control here.
Feel free to message me if you want to talk about it or some support.
Toodles! ^_^

Replies

• ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    if only you had stuck to regular coke you wouldn't have to diet at all now.

interesting fact: the original South Beach diet was cocaine. that's it. eat what you want but do a lot of cocaine.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I started drinking diet coke everyday when I was 15 years old, I am now 22.
    What inspired me? A character from a book! xD
    (If anyone is curious, it's Morgan Rowland from the Wicca/Sweep series, awesome books for young teens.)
    So she would have a can or two a day and I ended up thinking, "I wanna be like her, she's so cool, I'm gonna drink diet coke just like her!" well...it was something along those lines.
    But I didn't end up having only one or two cans a day, I ended up having 2 to 3 litres a day for years!

Well last year I kicked that addiction right in the face, and I am proud to say I am now 10 months free of diet coke!
    Can I ever have it again? Sure, if there is literally nothing else to drink and I'm very thirsty. But otherwise, no thank you!
    No thank you to the sweeteners especially.

No miracles happened, my skin wasn't any better, my hair wasn't any glossier. But! I did gain this; control.
    Control of what I put into my mouth and feeling good that it was nutritional/beneficial instead of messing my body up.

So how did I do this?
    -Distraction is a blessing, you feel a craving for the diet soda crap, sip some water and watch something online/tv or read a book/draw/write, whatever distracts you.
    -Replace with yummy drinks that are not going to send your insulin up! I chose natural squash and pomegrante juice (yum!)
    -The money you save from not buying any of it, use to treat yourself to something non-drink related. I bought a pretty dress ^_^
    -Get that *kitten* out of your house! I know this is impossible in some family situations, but if you can inspire your household to kick it out the front door it'll be awesome for you.
    -Out and about? Invest in a decent water bottle. (I actually got mine for free when searching online, sadly the deal is over now but check around!)
    -Most importantly; educate yourself. Read on why it's bad for you and keep it in your mind when confronted with temptation. If you are an addict right now, you took the first few steps just by reading my post and for that I want to say WELL DONE YOU CAN DO THIS!

I thought it was going to be impossible to beat, but I promise you it is worth every squirm and whine you'e going to go through when trying to kick it out of your life.

Good luck and don't forget - you have the control here.
    Feel free to message me if you want to talk about it or some support.
    Toodles! ^_^

That's awesome!
  • kittenbobitten
    kittenbobitten Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I am currently having a VERY hard time kicking the diet coke, but this gives me hope!! YAY!!
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Did you do anything to replace the caffeine, or just learn to live without it? I don't like the taste of coffee and diet coke is my only caffeine source. I've cut my intake dramatically, and am planning to cut it in half again in the next couple of months.

But when I wake up tired, it's tough.
  • DraoMhaigh
    DraoMhaigh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Did you do anything to replace the caffeine, or just learn to live without it? I don't like the taste of coffee and diet coke is my only caffeine source. I've cut my intake dramatically, and am planning to cut it in half again in the next couple of months.

But when I wake up tired, it's tough.

Awh caffeine is a b*tch.
    Well, I am a lover of tea but I prefer green and white tea, so I drank those (about 2-4 cups even up to today for the lovely antioxidants!)
    The amount of caffeine in those is so small compared to soda but it was more than enough to make me feel alert throughout the day. The first week was hell, I had a lot of headaches BUT I had more headaches daily when I was drinking diet coke everyday compared to now. Now it's rare I get a headache and when I do it's down to my stress levels not my food and drink =]
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Vegan...

Great job!!!

I did the same thing! I was addicted to it since I was a teen and I quit at 44!!!! January 2012 I decided to give it up. And I do NOT miss it! I did have a break when I was pregnant with my son, but other than that, I had to have my diet coke! I also gave up ALL caffeine products. I actually drink 99.9% water now. It's a treat if I drink something else, ok, ok, when I go out w/friends and have alcohol - so maybe it's 90% or a little less (jk). :laugh:

Point being, if others think that they have been addicted to caffeine products for soooooooo long and just can not give it up, well, I did. just sayin'

Good luck to you and thank you for posting this inspirational message! :drinker:
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I am seven days diet coke free! I went from drinking 3-4 cans a day to one, then to one every other day, then just when I was out.....I figured I could give it up completely.
  • kristintavares
    kristintavares Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    OMG... I have a very strong addiction to diet "fountain" soda. I drink 2-3 a day. Any tips on how to make it easier?
  • DraoMhaigh
    DraoMhaigh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    OMG... I have a very strong addiction to diet "fountain" soda. I drink 2-3 a day. Any tips on how to make it easier?

I never heard of a fountain soda I'm guessing it's the one from the machines?
    Well, if it has aspartame and caffeine, you're in the same boat as any diet soda.
    Best thing you can do for yourself is not be around it.
    Thirsty? Have a glass of water first. That not tickling your tastebuds? Chew a mint. Still not satisfied? Mix some natural squash with soda water. You get fizziness without the sweetener and caffeine.
    Good luck, screw those damn machines! =]
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I gave up soda on April 16th, 2012 and haven't missed it since. I drank it for years, since I was a young child and never thought I'd be able to give it up. One day I took a drink and I was sick throwing up within an hour. I know it's just me reading too much into it, but I swear I got a bad batch or something! I drink mainly all water, some juice on occasion, tea and milk. I am guilty of using flavoring packets to change up my water, but still a million times better than soda!!
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    if only you had stuck to regular coke you wouldn't have to diet at all now.

interesting fact: the original South Beach diet was cocaine. that's it. eat what you want but do a lot of cocaine.

:huh:
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I gave up my 40 year addiction to diet coke on Christmas Eve. It has been hard. I replaced it with sugar free drink mixes, then realized they have the same sugar substitute. Now, trying to kick those and go to lime water instead. It's a hard, HARD habit to break for me. I also quit eating chocolate bars on the same night. What was I thinking? I have managed to go to the store twice and not break down for either. It's good for me calorie wise and money wise to be without both.

IF I can do it, anyone can.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Wonderful news!
    I hope others can do as you did. I had a strange experience with diet drinks after giving up sodas which I was addicted to.
    There is nothing really definitive or scientific to my dislike for diet drinks.
    I just feel bad drinking them.
    It's not something I can even explain except that my body had a bad reaction.
    When I first started losing weight, I switched from sugar soda to diet.
    I experienced anxiety and a racing heart.
    It's probably just me.
    I gave that toxic stuff up, and all I drink these days are teas, ice water with lemon and fresh juice.
    Good luck to those of you working through this issue.
    Follow the OP's example :drinker:
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    This'll be a hard, hard habit for me to break. I drink probably 5-6 cans a day.

I've started drinking water (2-3 bottles a day) but diet coke is just more satisfying with meals!
  • Quiggs1982
    Options
    Good for you on cutting out the diet coke. It's hard to do.
  • PrincessNikki131
    PrincessNikki131 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your accomplishment!!!! That is awesome!!!

Today is Day 2 for me without Diet Coke. I'm only drinking water and Lipton's diet citrus green tea, I don't know if the un-diet version is better for me but I can't get past drinking stuff with calories that is not milk or alcohol. (The only think I learned from Jenny Craig was not to waste my calories on drinks)

The headaches haven't been terrible, the caffeine in the green tea seems to be helping. Tomorrow I go back to work and I"m worried I will slip.

Keep up the hard work!
  • threeonethree
    threeonethree Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 2-3 diet sodas a day. Coke Zero mainly. But around Christmas someone said it tasted like battery acid. I went and took a sip.... yep, it actually does taste like battery acid. lmao Havent had one in almost 2 weeks now and feel great.

Im shocked I broke the habit so quickly! 0_0

good job!
  • coulibalymuso
    coulibalymuso Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That's great - you serve as an inspiration! I have been drinking diet sodas now for the past 12 years and usually have 1-2 about 5 days a week. Not too bad, but I definitely crave them while I'm at work (I don't buy them for the home) & also when I go out to eat. I'm hoping to stop drinking too....just need to be better organized and bring tea with me to work :0)
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all of you who have kicked the diet soda habit! I wish hubby had stopped sooner as I'm pretty sure all that aspartame contributed to him developing non-Hodgkins lymphoma.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    bumping for a friend :smile: