Sugar... I dont want it anymore! ha ha

Options
OK, I still do. I just joined a couple of days ago. I was curious, when any of you get a sugar craving, what do you do to get it to subside? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Replies

• 3boysunder3
    3boysunder3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Haven' really got a useful reply. But am curious to any you get =) Got awful sugar cravings. Good luck.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,811 Member
    Options
    Im making fruit leather, its in the oven now, im hoping it will be a good alternative to candy. also cherry limeade water flavor mix helps me, I get great value brand
  • GetN2Shape22
    Options
    Hum, never heard of fruit leather before. Am I being Punked? :) hope it works for you!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,811 Member
    Options
    I found it on pintrest haha, its also known at homemade fruit roll ups, just google it, but its basicly make fruit puree then dehydrate it
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Have something with Splenda, fruit ... sometimes protein. If your body has had lots everyday, one possibility is to step down (instead of 45 choloate bars, just 35 for a few days, then 30, etc.) Part of it's psychological, though. I had tons of cravings, too! But don't worry - you can muscle through!
  • frogprincess05
    frogprincess05 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've given up sugar for months at a time. The longest I went was 9 months with no sugar. The first two weeks are always the most difficult. I get headaches, extreme craving, etc. But honestly, the longer I go without sugar, the less I crave it. And when I do have sugar again, I feel awful. My stomach hurts, I get headaches, I even have bowel irritation. TMI maybe.
    To help curb the cravings, I found sugar free jello, sweeting things with honey, sugar free gum, and other naturally sweetened things were helpful. Nothing really tastes like real sugar does, but I found my tastes change, and I enjoy the naturally sweet things more.
    Keep going! I went sugar free again from August to Christmas Eve. Ugh, and what I ate was not worth the headache and tummy hurts. :sad:
    Anyway, back to sugar free now, and loving it. :heart:
  • munzaga
    munzaga Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the appropriate solution is to curb sugar cravings, as I am an addict, myself. However, I listened to something interesting on a youtube video (I don't have the link to give credit) and a journalist was telling a doctor that he had spoken to Michelle Obama's cook and asked where sugar was on the food pyramid. His reply was, "why would something be listed that has no nutritional value in our diets." That got me thinking. It is not really valuable to my body- so why keep on eating it. For some reason that resonated with me. If anything it fuels cancer and a myriad of other problems. I only wish I knew an easier way to break my addiction, than suffering through the next week cold turkey. I know that increasing protein intake helps a bit. Hope you find the answer. :)
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I don't think I will ever be able to give up sugar completely, but when I have a craving for something sweet I do get some relief from the Extra Dessert Delights gum. They have so many flavors and they are wonderful!
  • 1KiwiChick
    1KiwiChick Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Hi,i have been on a no sugar diet for 11 weeks now. I eat plenty of veges, limited fruit (only before week two and after week 8 but usually stone fruit or berries try not to eat too many apples , oranges or banana) i eat whole grain breads , pure butter, streaky bacon!! dairy with very low sugar , nuts etc. Its hard for the first few weeks but then the body, energy and skin changes start to kick in and its worth it! I have found eating no sugar is much easier than trying to limit it!!
  • Kimberly126
    Options
    I got a food dehydrator . I made my own banana chips out of really ripe bananas . I eat it with raw almonds and a few dark chocolate chips . It satisfies my sweet, crunchy and chewy cravings all at once.
  • wazzanz
    wazzanz Posts: 78
    Options
    I see sugar as an addictive substance (like nicotine). When i first started on MFP i went without refined sugar(chocolate, candy, slices, biscuits) . After a while fruit (the real stuff from plants and trees) became my sugar hit and started to fill the cravings.

However, over the last few months I've been eating and drinking too much (as our summer holidays) and the misses has both very sweet tooth and love of baking.

So time to knock it on the head again!

Once i go a week or two without it (chocolate, candy, slices, biscuits) i don't really miss it and have fruit instead (yes i know is sugar but not refined only 2 pieces a day)

Like soft drink. Used to have a can a day (diet or normal) but now just have water or long black coffees and if someone put a can of coke in front of me would not even want to drink it.
  • wazzanz
    wazzanz Posts: 78
    Options
    I have found eating no sugar is much easier than trying to limit it!!

So true. Even artificial replacements are not the answer because you never break the addiction. Find alternatives rather than something to replicate the sugar rush!
  • emr0034
    emr0034 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I feel like I want something sweet, I eat a piece of fruit like an orange and it seems to help me out a lot! Feel free to add me as a friend! I am here to help! :)
  • barb_32
    barb_32 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    flavored water packets in a glass of water helps or sometimes a little salsa on something (turkey taco meat)
  • GetN2Shape22
    Options
    I'm glad that this subject sparked some conversation on here! :) I honestly thought that it wouldn't produce anything more than some generic responses, but I am please with a couple of suggestions that I never considered. Thanks, and the more suggestions the better, so keep them coming!