Binge Eater

Options
Hello Everyone!

I'm currently trying to lose over 100 lbs, but I'm such a huge binge(I do not purge) eater, so I over eat a lot. I'm only 3 days into my new lifestyle, and I'm already having trouble. I'm trying to occupy myself with other things, but nothing seems to work - even after a long period of time. Do you have any tips??

Thanks

-Jade

Replies

• apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Me too. Would love suggestions! You are not alone!! :)
  • the_new_robin2016
    the_new_robin2016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    can't eat things you don't have in your house! So don't buy things that are unhealthy! And the things that are healthier are usually less in everything so it's not so bad to binge! When it comes to bread (my weakness) try keeping it frozen and just take slices out to toast. And only buying one loaf at a time! This gives you a less chance of eating a loaf in a day (i can easily do that!). I myself LOVE the taste of soft bread, doesnt matter the type.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Some people do pre-planning on their foods and it works for them.

What I do is log the food just before I eat it. That helps me re-evaluate whether or not I'm really hungry or just on an emotional/bored/stress eating spree.

Chewing gum - not only good for nicotine cravings but food cravings as well.

Get in your water.

Have healthy snacks available and try to make a conscious decision to turn to these versus the other stuff. My favorite are frozen grapes. Not saying you can't have that chocolate, candy, etc...but wait until you get things in control and you know you are on your way with good habits with moderation.

Measure out/weigh your food. This is a pain at first, but honestly - it has really helped teach me about portion control.

Make sure you are at the correct TDEE. If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.
  • theresam2013
    Options
    I am right there with you! I love to eat (especially chocolate!). I also have over 100lbs to lose. I try to go outside or dance around when I want to eat. Or I go for a bike ride. And drinking water when I am hungry helps too. I am also giving up chocolate unless it is part of something healthy that I am ony allowed to eat once a day as something to keep me from being so hungry ( like protein bars)
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    i am a binge eater myself but those situations are becoming farther apart so i can say i am progressing.What i do is not feel guilty over it and try to balance it out over the week.
    For ex I had a huge binge two days ago..My daily goal is 1900 and i ate close to 4000 that day!
    So the rest two days look like this..900 cals..1200 cals(its very hard to eat the next day cuz u are already so full)
    So the total cal intake for three days is 6100 which is just 400 calories above my daily goal(1900 *3=5700)
    So i am pretty sure i will stay the same weight if i check in tomorrow :)
  • Arianaml
    Options
    I do the same thing but where I don't eat much all day then at night I can't stop eating. My mom suggests having foods around like celery, carrots, etc. to snack on whenever without worrying about it. I know this doesn't sound exciting, but sometimes after I eat and notice I'm starting to binge I can 'switch over' to the veggies, and it does help.
  • littlecrystal
    littlecrystal Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am a terrible binge eater myself.. to the point where I am thinking that I probably want to kill myself with food! I had lost to 89.6kg in August 2012, lost control after my holidays in August, weighed 91.5kg in October and 98kg today! I have undone all my hard work with bingeing and have to start all over again. I cannot even maintain my weight. It is a deep emotional problem. Everything works only temporary, and the binge eating comes and goes in cycles. This is what I am. I don't think it wil ever go completely. I think I just have to find that peace with myself and stop hating myself so much. It is a terrible feeling.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yep, i pre plan, and that is it, I STICK TO IT!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    hard work

self control

discipline
  • lwdllc
    lwdllc Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Go to Amazon.com right now and order The Beck Diet Solution by Judith Beck. It is a cognitive therapy program NOT A DIET - it teaches you HOW to be successful and how to answer those nagging thoughts about binging in your head. The most valuable book I have EVER read, I my starting weight was 217, I read the book and got down to 160, that was 6 years ago, I have not gained more than 10 lbs back. All because I learned to change my life with the guidance provided through the book.

GOOD LUCK!!!
    Laura
  • wanttobehealthy6
    wanttobehealthy6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used to binge myself. Although the calling/desire/temptation comes creeping in - I prepare myself for it.
    I journal my thoughts/hopes/fears and goals each and every day. I wake up and re-evaluate my determination. I, in a way - start each day with a 'pep talk' from me! I know my strengths, I know my weaknesses. Most important, is for you to know that you are in charge of you, not food, not sugar. You. When you do have the power to walk away from - whatever it is - the feeling is incredible.

I literally talk myself out of it. Sometimes - out loud. I do not keep 'bad' food/snacks in the house. But if one of the kids brings something home or makes something - there it sits, on the counter - calling my name. I will walk by it - and say out loud, my newest goal. Right now - it's 149. So, I'll tell myelf - with determination - no, I want 149 more than I want that pan of brownies!

If I were to cave - the guilt, shame, anger would just add to the heartache of not seeing 149.

I then turn to my favorite healthy snacks. 100 calorie popcorn -- 2 sugar free hard candies -- PB2 mixed up on some celery - a cup and 1/2 of fresh steamed vegetables. Anything to curb that need to feel food in my mouth.

You can do this. You can overcome the temptation. The strength you have is right there, inside of you!!! Good luck!!!
  • SerenityPhoenix
    SerenityPhoenix Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone! You have no idea how much this helps!