healthy affordable sources of protein

Options
after posting thus thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/839401-hunger-holding-me-back
I did as all suggested and changed my goals :) my parents buy my food so what are some cheap and healthy sources of protein?

I want to succeed as I said in my introduction I'm recovering from binge eating disorder and purging. So I don't want the late night hunger pangs to trigger it again...

also please rate my journal from friday and saturday? how can I do better? thank you.

Replies

• blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Beans!!!!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I eat pilchards, chicken, beef, pork, any meat really...not sure how expensive they are where you live...

Also you need to address the psychological part of your disorder (what is causing you to binge and use food as a comfort/punishment, etc) before the food will fall into place...be warned...(yes I am a recovering anorexic/bulimic so I am talking from experience)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils are not that great as sources of protein, they contain far more carbs but are good sources of fibre and the carbs are slow release so an excellent substitute for processed wheat, potatoes and corn.

Depends where you live what is reasonably priced - any lean meat, fish including canned, seafood, eggs/ whites, reduced fat dairy, nuts and seeds are all good sources of protein. Many of these should be in your house anyway.
  • Fitstephy
    Options
    I eat pilchards, chicken, beef, pork, any meat really...not sure how expensive they are where you live...

Also you need to address the psychological part of your disorder (what is causing you to binge and use food as a comfort/punishment, etc) before the food will fall into place...be warned...(yes I am a recovering anorexic/bulimic so I am talking from experience)
    thanks. My mother and I are in the process of finding a new theapist. (let my old one go finally)
  • Jesmoko
    Jesmoko Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna? That's what I eat. Good protein (probably) and only a slight chance of getting a mercury poisoning.
  • virjenmarie
    virjenmarie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Can tuna,sardines,canned salmon,eggs,peanut butter and meat!!! All very cheap and you can fix them any way you like so much protein HTH
  • ebartholme
    ebartholme Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eggs are good sources of protein and a hard boiled egg is an excellent snack when you get the munchies. Also, beans! you can get them canned or dried, either way they're super cheap. I've been getting canned black beans and just adding cilantro and salt, it's very filling and very high in protein.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    canned tuna
    egg whites
    beans
    chicken (I get bags of flash frozen chicken breasts)
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    eggs, chicken, tuna, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, quinoa, almonds, peanut butter
  • JohnnyBravo64
    Options
    Albacore Tuna is great. I also take Whey Protein in a shake made with skim milk. They have several flavors but the chocolate is my favorite. Walmart sells a large tub which will last for months and it's affordable.
  • Fitstephy
    Options
    canned tuna
    egg whites
    beans
    chicken (I get bags of flash frozen chicken breasts)

I read that as "I eat bags of frozen chicken breasts" and I was like EW
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    There really shouldn't be a label on healthy and unhealthy sources of protein. Choose proteins that do not disturb your body due to digestion/tolerance issues and come with carbs and fats in amounts that help towards your total daily calorie goals. Eggs, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, various nut or seed butters, nuts or seeds, meats, tuna fish, green mung beans, protein powder, etc. If you are looking for the absolute cheapest, protein powder is a good option to fill in your remaining protein needs without adding extra fats and carbs.
  • gettingmeback2013
    gettingmeback2013 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the above...eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, chicken (all meat), fish. High fiber helps to stave off hunger, too, such as potatoes WITH the skin, apples with the skin, etc.