trouble with steel cut oats

Options
I always have issues getting steel cut oats to cook right. I'm not so good with a stove.

Any who in my pinning yesterday I stumbled upon a crock pot steel cut oat recipe.
1 cup steel cut or regular oats (NOT Quick Oats!)
4 cups water
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 TBS butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon

Combine all in crockpot and cook on low for 8hrs. Serve with milk & cinnamon sugar.

Variations:

Add up to 1 C raisins/dried fruit before cooking.
Add 1 chopped fresh apple before cooking.
Top with fresh fruit (in season) or canned fruit (drained).
Add a pat of butter or a dollop of jam/preserves.
Drizzle with honey.

I omitted the butter. It was amazingly good. I am starting the 30 day challenge this week and plan on making it again but omitting the brown sugar. I did some searches and found that grade b pure maple syrup is a good sub for brown sugar. I also chopped up an apple into it.

Replies

• angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • AlexPflug
    AlexPflug Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sounds amazing. Is this for 1 serving?
  • Christy175
    Christy175 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Molasses might be good too! I like Agave also.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    That looks really great!

Have you tried overnight oats? That's a really simple, easy way to go too.
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Might try this... I skip steel cut oats some mornings because I don't have the time to wait for them to cook. I keep meaning to just cook some up to reheat in the mornings, but I forget by the time dinner is cooked, eaten, and cleaned up after. But I'll have to find a smaller crock pot first! My regular one is HUGE!
  • omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Personally I like to have some kind of nut butter and a little unsweeteened cocoa powder (or chocolate protein powder) with my oats...it's to die for. Oh and I will sometimes add a banana or walnuts as well. I eat oats at least 5 times a week, it's probably one of my favorite foods.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! I love oatmeal. I've cooked the steel cut oats before on the stove, but added some extra water and extended the cooking time. They do take a long time to cook. Using my slow cooker, I could put that recipe on at night and have it in the morning.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Would be very interested to know the serving size of the recipe? Was it for just one serving?
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm not the OP, but I think that would be 4 servings since one serving of steel cut oats is 1/4 c dry.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Looks more like 4 servings to me.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    I love steel cut oats! My crockpot is in use right now (vegetable stew) or else I would be trying this out tonight. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Also, I have subbed maple syrup and it works great!
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 grain oat mix and 1/3 cup dry is a serving size. I would count this recipe as 3 servings. I always cook it on the stove, (dad taught me this as he made it when I was a kid).
  • foss44
    foss44 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • MissbusyLizzie
    MissbusyLizzie Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Bump! :)
  • arnie32
    arnie32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I live in Southern California and we have a chain of stores called Trader Joe's. They put out quick cook steel cut oatmeal. It is NOT instant oatmeal. Cook it like this: bring 3/4 cup water to a boil. Add 1/4 cup steel cut oats. Turn flame down as low as it goes. Set times for 7 minutes. Stir oats occasionally. In 7 minutes it is done. I add some chopped pecans to it and just a but of salt for more flavor.

It is delicious.

arnie32
  • xoyasminxo
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    sounds good! watch our for maple syrup though, tends to be high in carbs, calories, and sugar.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I eat them most mornings. I make enough for the week, then heat up single, one cup servings.
  • MizzDoc
    Options
    I'm not the OP, but I think that would be 4 servings since one serving of steel cut oats is 1/4 c dry.

Thank you!
  • MizzDoc
    Options
    Looks more like 4 servings to me.

Thank you!