Cycling question

Options
Week one on here so be gentle.
I am a keen cyclist so this week as well as aiming for under 1800 on most days I've done quite a few miles, about 130 actually. Should I be eating the extra earned calories or is ok to be in major deficit several days a week. When I commute to worki burn about 3700 extra and am currently only adding in another 200 to 400 on those days but not sure what the long term impact will be?
Many thanks!
Steve

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800 to 2000 cals per day... I cycle everywhere, I also lift heavy three times per week...I do not eat back my exercise cals, but if you feel you have less energy because you are not, then eat them all up...try it out, see if you still lose, gain or maintain, experiment...that is what I do all the time...
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, then you should eat healthy food. It's pretty simple! No long term effects.
  • madone7
    madone7 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Is you morning cycle to work around 35 miles? 3700 extra cals seems a lot unless you are riding circa 70 to 80 miles..
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    This site is designed with the intention of you eating your exercise calories since they are not included in your calorie goal. So eat them. There is no need to have a huge deficit and it will likely become counter productive in the long term hindering your ability to continue.

The other option you have is include your intended exercise calories in your calorie goal and have a fixed amount you eat every day using this approach. Frankly, I think it might be the better approach for you. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • cambtrip
    Options
    Nearly, it's just over 50miles round trip but I'm 270lbs.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Is you morning cycle to work around 35 miles? 3700 extra cals seems a lot unless you are riding circa 70 to 80 miles..

This is not necessarily true. The amount of calories you burn depends on a lot of factors. I am 62 years old and weigh 237. According to my HRM i have burned up to 1800 calories riding 25 miles.
  • madone7
    Options
    I wouldn't look too closely at your HRM for a cal count. I used a garmin cycling in france and it said on a day i cycled 150 miles that i burnt 12000 cals. I would base it on 1000 cals per 20 miles or per hour of training pace cycling. I would think that you are more likely to burn up to 2500 cals
  • orangelobster
    Options
    Nearly, it's just over 50miles round trip but I'm 270lbs.

50 miles a day on a bike!! Wow! Respect!
  • cambtrip
    Options
    Those aren't the measure from my garmin they are from the app and match what other websites say...

But they do feel high!
    Thanks for th replies.
  • madone7
    Options
    Okay. Just saying that your calorie deficit may not be quite what you think it is.

I would eat 3000ish cals a day when you cycle that much. Lots of protein!
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Huge deficits aren't gonna kill you as long as it's not a chronic thing. But if your cycling is somewhat moderate I'd probably eat some back. If it's very laid back and not intense (let's assume <60% max heart rate), then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • cambtrip
    Options
    Yeah think you might be right! might aim for a bit more on riding days.
  • wgoux
    wgoux Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    In spite of cycling burning a lot of calories, the numbers calculated on this website are bunk. It depends on speed and ultimately joules output. You can convert joules to calories burned, 4.2 kiloJoules = 1 kcals, which is what is actually what most of us familiar with.when we say "calories". On a hard ride I usually burn around 550 "calories" per hour. This is in the lab. On the road I typically ride in the 16-19 mph range and I think the lab numbers are about right at that speed. But that can change depending on what the terrain is, whether you are drafting and the conditions. So in spite of what the calculator says you typically would burn 500-600 calories per hour, less if you ride slower. You should only eat as much as you feel like eating. Don't go overboad trying to make up for lost calories by forcing yourself to eat more. Yesterday I was at a 900 calorie deficit . For me, hard exercise deadens my appetite. Hope this helps.
  • cambtrip
    Options
    It's more than 60% of mhr and I always ride
    upwards of 100 miles each week sometimes 200 so I need something sustainable.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Huge deficits aren't gonna kill you as long as it's not a chronic thing. But if your cycling is somewhat moderate I'd probably eat some back. If it's very laid back and not intense (let's assume <60% max heart rate), then I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree in terms of the big bugga-boo of the so called "starvation mode", but in terms of compliance to ones calorie goal larger deficits can cause issues. That is why I suggest including exercise calories in the daily calorie goal then average it over the week. On non-exercise days the deficit would be a little smaller, but on exercise days it would be a little (not a lot) bigger.