MFP, Machine, or HRM... Which is right!?

Options
So according to the elliptical at the gym (which allows me to put in my weight and height) says I burn 500 calories in 50 minutes. MFP says over 1000 in that time. I don't have a HRM, but the metal one on the machine says I stay between 164-180 for my workouts.(Depending on the song on my playlist) So when I put that info into websites like calorie count and another calculator website, they are also giving me over 1000 burned.

I do have a BFM device but haven't used it because I don't want to pay the monthly sub price just to be able to upload data. The device was over $100! The website should be free. Anyway, I can't go back and look at previous workouts to see what it was reading.

My thing is, I don't want to eat back too many exercise calories and I don't want to eat too little either. I will most likely get a HRM when my taxes come in to give me a good number.

I'm also 5'11 and 308 pounds. So I know I'm burning more than someone who is 150 pounds but 1000 calories seems super high.

Replies

• lilteeraw
    lilteeraw Posts: 261
    Options
    HRM is the most accurate for sure.
  • lilteeraw
    lilteeraw Posts: 261
    Options
    Oh & I would invest in an actual HRM... great investment right there.
  • choface
    choface Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I guarantee you that it's probably less than the machine. A heart rate monitor is the only thing that will tell you the true amount.
  • CourtneyGetsFit_
    Options
    I would say the HRM is most accurate. I have the Polar FT4.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'11 and 308 pounds. So I know I'm burning more than someone who is 150 pounds but 1000 calories seems super high.
  • MissTattoo
    Options
    *bump*
  • cupcakesnomore
    Options
    I think the BodyMedia Fit is by far the most accurate, but I understand not wanting to pay the additional costs. For me, MFP overestimates up to 45% vs what BMF says. The other day my burn in 90mins was 652 and MFP said 1189...yowch, huge difference!! Go with either the machine or a HRM.
  • cupcakesnomore
    Options
    And if we're talking about eating VS not eating...find out your BMR and cycle calorie count.
  • MissTattoo
    Options
    Bmr is 2170. Bfm says I should be burning 3000 on workout days a school about 2700 on non workout days. Mfp has me eating 2200 for a pound loss every week. Bfm says I should be eating 2500 on workout days.