Got my wakeup call, time to get healthy

Options
2»

Replies

• lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    not to be a wet blanket, but your health is at risk while you try and fix the problem. I would suggest taking the medication WHILE you work toward your goal, then you can talk to your doctor about going off them. I have been able to reduce some of mine already with a goal of none oc
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You need to take your medications until you do get healthy dear. I was diagnose with high blood pressure at the age of 25. The problem with having it young is not that you'll have a stroke now but that many years (25 until whenever) of the extra pressure on your veins can cause a lot of problems later. Most people who get it in their 50s or 60s are only going to live another 20-30 years anyway. You need to prevent as much damage as possible. If you don't like the Ace inhibitors there are a lot of other options. I was on beta blockers (these are also the only type they want pregnant women taking, if you want to have children).

Once you get down to the healthy weight work with your doctors on getting off medication.
  • jbobb15
    jbobb15 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and and a LIFE decision. I'm 65 and had a heart attack, so I got the wake up call the hard way! Don't make the decision to NOT take the meds without talking to your doctor. Start your diet and workout program AND get a home blood pressure monitor. Once you reach a point of showing consistant lower than normal BP, then talk to your doctor about reducing the dosage or stopping. This worked for me. After I had 2 stents and a pacemaker installed I started a program of meds, cardio and weight training. After 3 months of consistent improvement my doctor cut the bp meds in half.

^^^ AGREE!!!!
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You should always take your meds!! Get re-evaluated after a few months and only stop taking them with your doctors approval. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • jbobb15
    jbobb15 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You need to take your medications until you do get healthy dear. I was diagnose with high blood pressure at the age of 25. The problem with having it young is not that you'll have a stroke now but that many years (25 until whenever) of the extra pressure on your veins can cause a lot of problems later. Most people who get it in their 50s or 60s are only going to live another 20-30 years anyway. You need to prevent as much damage as possible. If you don't like the Ace inhibitors there are a lot of other options. I was on beta blockers (these are also the only type they want pregnant women taking, if you want to have children).

Once you get down to the healthy weight work with your doctors on getting off medication.

^^^I've cared for 30 year old heart attack/ triple bypass/ stroke patients. It does happen to the young too.
  • crooked_halo0712
    Options
    HI! I also have very high weight loss goals (I'd love to lose 100+ lbs) many of my friends and their families have heart trouble or a history of it, so I know where you're coming from. Feel free to add me (:
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Take the meds while you wait for the test results. Better safe then sorry.

I got my wakeup call 10 years ago. Sounds so long ago now. Blood clot in left lung and a tumor in my pancreas. 1 month in hospital. Feeding tube to bypass stomach. Surgery was not fun. Could not eat food or drink water for 3 weeks. Ice chips and saline IV only. BP was 215/105. Was a walking time bomb that was ready to go off. Took the meds for about 6 months then got to go off them.

I started at another site and was doing ok, then came here and did Really well. Weight is off, in maintenece and never happier or healthier.

You Can Do It!!!
  • SyllyThings
    SyllyThings Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Considering your family health history, I trust you know when it is right to take meds or not. I'm not big on popping pills either if there are other ways to deal with it. Treat the problem, not the symptom. BTW, did you know that eating two stalks of celery is equivalent to one blood pressure pill? Celery was used orginally in the manufacturing of blood pressure pills. I thought that was interesting. Hubby had/has elevated blood pressure. Dr wasn't concerned and said he wouldn't treat until it was higher. Hubby at first thought the Dr was right until I told him "I'll wait until the engine light comes on in the car before getting an oil change." The light blub went on and the he started walking and dieting. He is half way to his target and feels noticably different but hasn't checked his blood pressure in a while. Anyway, good for you in waking up to make a change and hope this new year is your year for change.
  • tfitz12
    tfitz12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP...feel free to add me
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'd check with your regular doctor about your problems and the meds if you haven't started taking them and it was an unfamiliar doctor. The minute I was diagnosed with diabetes my doctor put me on blood pressure meds as he said high blood pressure is a side effect of diabetes. Hopefully I can get off all my meds by the end of 2013. Good luck on your journey to great health. *HUGS*
  • RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, i have been taking an ace inhibiter and beta blocker every day for over a year now after narrowly dodging a full blown stroke. I absolutely hate taking them but love my family more and dont want to not be there for them. The pills remind me of my mortality.

Do what you need to do for youeself but stay safe and healthy. Having experienced first hand the hidden effects of high blood pressure and nearly loosing the sight in one eye its not to be messed with... and I'd dropped two stone just prior! However dont think that work wasnt for nothing.. the doc said if I hadnt I may not be here.

I hope to come off them one day but we'll see :-)

Rockingdad
  • clumsymofro
    clumsymofro Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! Being a nurse myself, I've seen many patients lower their blood pressure through diet and exercise but I def think you should take those ACE inhibitors until you've lost the weight bc the high blood pressure can do damage to other vital organs along the way. Feel free to add me :)
  • Hoebilly
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the welcome, you're all so kind!!! And I decided to take my medication based on your messages, 2 hours in and I feel ok so maybe I got lucky to not have side effects. Still curious to see how the next few days go.
  • MarkKnoxx
    MarkKnoxx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I got mine too- I was recently diagnosed with type II diabetes and didn't even see it coming. Like you, I'm not going to take meds unless I decide I can't lose weight. My doc said if I dropped my weight I would essentially not be diabetic any longer, so that's where I'm heading. Good luck -feel free to add me but no pressure.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the welcome, you're all so kind!!! And I decided to take my medication based on your messages, 2 hours in and I feel ok so maybe I got lucky to not have side effects. Still curious to see how the next few days go.

Thank you... I think all of us thank you for taking your meds. *sigh of relief*
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and congrats to you for wanting to take control of your health and make changes instead of just depending on the meds. My hubby is 35 years old and was diagnosed with high blood pressure and put on medication 2 years ago. He just in the last year decided it was time to make some changes to his health, and he has now lost 40 pounds and is completely off the blood pressure meds. So it can be done!!
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Whew so relieved to hear you are taking your meds! I had a stroke at age 42 and it has changed my life. Some aspects are good (easier to find handicapped parking and think I am closer to my husband) but all in all my life is harder since I am partially paralyzed and can no longer do very much independently ( like drive). I would do almost anything to have my life back - it is totally not worth it to risk major illness. You do not realize how much the phrase " you have nothing if you don't have your health" is true unless the worst happens! Good luck - I know you can turn it around!