Best way to slim down legs?

Options
I'm super self-conscious about my legs. I'm pretty slim overall, but I've just always had thick legs. Not necessarily muscular, and it doesn't seem like any of my workouts touch waist down.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• MeaghanAnderson
    MeaghanAnderson Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Running is one of the best things for slimming down legs. Best of luck :)
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    Running to lose the fat - weights/strength training to change the shape...I'm in the same boat - hate my legs!

Good luck!
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I agree. Running and walking are the best. I, too, have heavy legs in proportion to the rest of my body and I have the added problem of thick knees. I have been doing a lot of walking and running and squats ( to help slim my knees) I now weigh 145 and wear a size 4 jean, so it is definitely helping.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, but lifting weights will ultimately lower body fat % everywhere. Try that, and learn to love your body; you might be genetically predisposed to carry extra weight there, but that doesn't mean you're necessarily unhealthy or unattractive.
  • MamaBear05
    MamaBear05 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Ditto. I have always been slim and have no problem with muscle tone/growth from the waist up, but my legs have always been "healthy" (aka, thick). I finally found the perfect combination a little more than a year ago. Running (I did the C25k program) and circuits consisting of things like suicide sprints, box jumps, squats, tire pulls. I also did upper body training during the circuits. I did the circuits in the streets in front of my house.

My legs did not become super slim because they are just not built to be skinny. But they did slim down a lot and I finally became proud of my healthy, strong legs.
  • emilykg12
    emilykg12 Posts: 119
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I was tempted to just cut them off, but I'll keep them. Now, to learn how to enjoy running ...
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    cycling is incredible for it
  • MaggieKillNMaul
    MaggieKillNMaul Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Running (Couch to 5K taught me to enjoy running--I've NEVER been a runner), rollerskating--it actually burns MORE calories than running and works the larger muscles in the legs, and squats.