Frozen Fruit for Smoothies When Allergic to Berries

Options
karenmi
karenmi Posts: 242 Member
After eating various berries (strawberries, black/blue berries & raspberries) as part of breakfast every day for the first year I did MFP I became allergic to them. Sadly I now cannot eat any berries of any kind without becoming extremely itchy.

I recently switched to a protein shake for breakfast and have been using frozen peaches, which are great, but I'm looking for suggestions for other unsweetened frozen fruits to use. I tried frozen rhubarb today.....yuck.

Anything but bananas....they are not my favorite and seem to have too much sugar for me.

Thanks!

Replies

• fusion777
    fusion777 Posts: 197
    Options
    How about frozen mango, they sell it in bags at the supermarket? It's yummy!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,084 Member
    Options
    pineapple, also, I like avocado in mine....granted you can't buy it frozen, but a couple ice cubes would chill the smoothie, and avocado is super healthy.

Fresh apples are good, or frozen grapes.
  • karenmi
    Options
    Yes of course, mango! I will buy some next time. I saw some frozen pineapple too, might try a bit of that (I'm borderline diabetic so an watching my GI foods).

Avocado is great in smoothies....I also put kale in mine - you can't taste it but it's really, really good for you.

Thanks!!!
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Wow you have it easy. I'm allergic to fruit... FRUIT! :grumble: It sucks.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Pears? Cherries? Anything you fancy, really.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    What is your secret on the peach smoothies? I have not managed to make a protein peach smoothie that was drinkable.

Cherry smoothies are great, especially with cocoa powder or peanut butter. I like oranges in my smoothies, but I've never had them without strawberries or bananas. I love tropical fruit smoothies. I made an apple pie smoothie with heated (and then cooled) green apples, cinnamon, non-dairy milk, protein powder, and stevia. It needed some tweaking but it was good. I wouldn't like it all the time.

I don't like pumpkin, but people that do promote pumpkin pie smoothies.
  • karenmi
    Options
    What is your secret on the peach smoothies? I have not managed to make a protein peach smoothie that was drinkable.

Cherry smoothies are great, especially with cocoa powder or peanut butter. I like oranges in my smoothies, but I've never had them without strawberries or bananas. I love tropical fruit smoothies. I made an apple pie smoothie with heated (and then cooled) green apples, cinnamon, non-dairy milk, protein powder, and stevia. It needed some tweaking but it was good. I wouldn't like it all the time.

I don't like pumpkin, but people that do promote pumpkin pie smoothies.

I don't know if I have a secret, but here's what my smoothie has in it: 1 cup water, 1/4 to 1/3 cup unsweetened light coconut milk, 2 scoops brown-rice protein powder (contains some Stevia), 1 TBSP ground flax seed, 1 TBSP hemp hearts, 1 cup frozen peaches. Very yummy...the peach is sweet enough that I don't need to add any Stevia. But then my former breakfast was fat-free, plain Greek yogurt with All Bran and raisins, so I am used to not adding anything to sweeten it.