Alternatives to Squats - Weak right knee

Options
I've been reading up on the Stronglifts 5x5 program and am interested in doing it, but am hesitant to do the squats even with a light weight because I have issues with my knees. Specifically, my right one.

I know that once I start losing weight, it will help relieve the pressure off the knees, and I usually wear a knee brace on that knee while exercising, so I'm just wondering if there is an alternative exercise that I can do or if I should just wait till I have lost a few pounds to do that.

Right now, my only exercise regimen is stretching and the elliptical for about 45 minutes. I'd like to add some strength training, but not at the expense of my knees or some other injury. Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• Cocacoladdict
    Cocacoladdict Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was about to post about my weak left knee!!

Seriously, a few days of exercise and it aches like a mofo. I thought I was just being a wimp lol
    I am tempted to concentrate on swimming until I lose a few lbs to ease off the pressure
  • MamaBear05
    MamaBear05 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Have you tried wall squats? That might help take some of the pressure off of your knees. Or stand next to a chair or bar and use that to support yourself, without using it to pull yourself up.
  • jeffsweightloss
    jeffsweightloss Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    yes,wall squats are a great exercise. just lean against a wall and slide down into a squat position. keep your feet away from the wall enough to keep your lower legs aligned. hold for how ever many seconds and do how ever many sets. increase time as you do more. they really help.
  • jeffsweightloss
    jeffsweightloss Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    also, you can use a chair or a box for squats. make sure the box is high enough. just squat down and rest on the chair or box. then stand up like you are getting out of a chair. it takes the pressure off your knee in the down position until you build strenght up. people who lift use this tecnique to gain power for the down position. bo body weight until you feel comfortable adding weights.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Spend some time working on the knee. Think rehab/prehab work. Step-ups onto a 4" platform, 1 legged leg extensions, lunges. Strengthen the knee prior to any strenuous exercise. It might be worth your time to see an actual physical therapist and get some stretches and exercises you can do.
  • Stevearoonie
    Stevearoonie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    After posting this I did a search for weak knees. Turns out there are lots of people who have similar issues. One posting said to ride a stationary bike and another said working on building your quads would help your knees. Any comments to either of those suggestions?