Trouble adjusting to the change in size...anyone else?

Options
I started my weight loss journey back in March and have lost almost 30 lbs now. Since I am only 5'1" it's resulted in some pretty substantial changes to my body and overall size. I'm now about 6 lbs from my goal weight. I am pretty happy with my results so far but the one thing that has been really hard for me is adjusting to the size change. I have had to replace almost all of my clothes, but when I go shopping, I still automatically look for larger clothes than I need and whenever I do races and order my shirt sizes I always end up ordering too large of a size. I know, it's not a terrible problem to have, I'm just curious to know if anyone else is having problems mentally transitioning to the changes.

Replies

• lemanuelthelazy
    lemanuelthelazy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I went from a 22 to a 10, and I still find myself holding up pants and just the distance between my hands makes me feel like they won't fit. I spend waaaay more time in the dressing room, and I usually have to take 3 or 4 different sizes of each thing with me. When I was big, at least I knew my self. I could go shopping successfully without even going into the dressing room haha.

Do you find it's the same with pictures, like you look at photos of yourself on a day you felt fat and realize how thin you've gotten?
  • blossom7onice
    blossom7onice Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes! Like today...I feel totally bloated, and I feel like I am still my old size. I swear I see changes in the mirror every day, like some days I look huge and others I look fit with no weight change or minimal.

The hardest thing for me is with the 5K races I started doing most offer free shirts or jackets and I have to estimate my size and of course not seeing the actual item I know that sizes vary alot, so I always end up getting too big of items. I went from a womens XL/ some times Large in clothing and now I am a medium in most things. I just entered a race and ordered a women's medium jacket and I have been panicking that it won't fit, even though every women's large shirt I have gotten so far is too big for me.

I think sometimes I just look and see the fat me no matter what is in the mirror.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure most people have this problem.

If you order a larger size and it doesn't fit, you have an unwearable item.
    If you order a smaller size and it doesn't fit, you have an unwearable item.

So either way, you're stuck with a useless piece of clothing.

However .... You know you're smaller than you think so.....
    Teach yourself to stop using your eyes as a measuring tool.
    You'll soon catch on. And you can high five yourself every time a smaller one does fit!
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    Same! i'm down to size 10 but i still keep picking up or looking at size 16s without realising it. i shop online and ive had to sent countless items back because ive automatically ordered a 16. I look down at myself and still see size 16, its only when confronted by a mirror thaty i realise what ive lost
  • Quiggs1982
    Options
    I do this all the time. Especially with buying clothes. I'll pick up things that are way too big and shock myself when I end up buying the smaller size. You'd think by now my mind would catch up, but it hasn't.
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Me too. My wife bought me new shirts for Xmas. Size 16 1/2 slim fit. I saw the words slim fit and my heart fell to my toes I was so sure they were not going to fit and felt bad knowing they were not going to fit.

They fit great, I was shocked and had to try them all on because I was sure the first one was sized wrong. I hope over time I can see myself where I really am instead of where my brain things I am..