How many oz cooked?

Options
Hi, I read somewhere that the ratio of how much something gains when cooked is 3-4.
Can anybody help me with this? Say I cooked a 1.5oz (raw) chicken breast, how much will it have gained cooked?

Replies

• mazecraze30
    Options
    Anyone? Im kind of in a hurry to get an answer on this! =(
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure chicken decreases in weight because it loses water. Rice, pasta and other grains will swell when they cook because they absorb water. For example, a quarter cup of dry rice will swell to about 3/4 cup.

My best advice is to log the chicken by it's cooked weight. There are cooked entries in the data base.
  • mazecraze30
    Options
    I don't have a scale?
    Thats why I am asking if anybody knows what a 1.5oz boneless skineless chicken breast would gain.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Chicken shrinks did the calks last night, started out with 4oz ends up like 3.5
    I use my scale to weigh out. Also it is in data base several ways. Gives Raw & cooked
    Hope that helps
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale?
    Thats why I am asking if anybody knows what a 1.5oz boneless skineless chicken breast would gain.

Chicken breast does NOT gain when cooked. It stays the same calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Chicken shrinks did the calks last night, started out with 4oz ends up like 3.5
    I use my scale to weigh out. Also it is in data base several ways. Gives Raw & cooked
    Hope that helps

.....and this is true, but it loses water, not calories. Choose raw or cooked from the database.
  • mazecraze30
    Options
    I don't have a scale?

Chicken breast does NOT gain when cooked. It stays the same calories.
    THANK YOU! =)
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You can just log it by its raw weight if you don't have a scale. It will equal the same calories, just a different size, when it is cooked :wink:
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Hi, I read somewhere that the ratio of how much something gains when cooked is 3-4.
    Can anybody help me with this? Say I cooked a 1.5oz (raw) chicken breast, how much will it have gained cooked?

Pasta and rice swell as sweetnlow30 says, so 1oz usually ends up weighing about 2.5 - 3 oz, depending how long you cook them. The extra weight is water absorbed in cooking.

Other foods tend to dry out when cooked - if you roast, bake, grill or dry-fry. Less water in it means that your 1.5 oz chicken breast (that's one TINY piece of chicken - go for a whole one!) may well end up only weighing 1.2 oz, again depending when you stop cooking, but the calories in it will be the same as all it's lost is calorie-free water. If you stewed that same piece of chicken it would still weigh 1.5 oz if you took it out of the stew, wiped it down and weighed it as no water is lost if you cook it in a sauce or gravy containing water.

Vegetables often contain more water than meat does, so if you take a raw 6 oz potato and bake it in its skin it will probably weigh about 4.5 oz when it's done. It still contains the same calories as all it's lost is water.

With some foods (grains, pasta) it's important to determine whether the information you're looking at is for raw weight or cooked weight.