Weight loss stopped 2 weeks in - starvation mode?

Options
So a little bit of background: started 3 weeks ago at 265lbs, lost 4lbs in the first week and 7lbs in the second eating 1230 calories (or under) as MFP recommended. In the last week I went over one day by 300, but have been consistently under by one or two figures, sometimes as 'much' as 77 under. I haven't lost a lb this week. I've heard from several places that 3350 is how many calories you need to gain a lb, so I really don't think going over by 300 one day has caused me to stop losing weight.

Now I'm aware that there is a lot of unhappiness that MFP even allows a calorie goal of 1230 to be set, but it worked well for me at the beginning and I was happy to continue until it stopped working well. At 5 foot and now 254lb, I'm still very very overweight and I know a low calorie goal like that is only recommended for very short/thin women, and for very overweight people (which I definitely am!). I did expect the weight loss to stay similar or lower slightly a bit until I was less heavy, perhaps another 10 or 20lbs? But considering my weight and height, I'm very surprised that I've come to a standstill already.

Because I've been training myself to eat such healthy things (salads, soups, main meal is as healthy as possible, everything is low calorie, no drinks but water and calorie free fruit teas), I'm finding it difficult to even meet my calorie goal of 1230 some days. Some friends have suggested I go to 1300 to make sure I'm not in 'starvation mode', but it's 10.30 at night and I still have 300 calories left and I'm not sure how I'm going to fill them.

There seems to be a lot of debate over whether 'starvation mode' actually exists, so I'm not really sure what to do.

What would you recommend?

Sorry this is a bit rambled, I'm pretty confused.

EDIT: everything I've read on this site seems to say that very obese people don't suffer the same problems with 'starvation mode' like smaller people do. Even when really restricting calories, we have enough fat stores that we still lose the weight. And I'm not even eating under 1000 calories - I'm trying to be sensible and eat 1200. Hope you can all see why I'm pretty confused.

There's also no way at all that I'm 'kidding myself' about what I've eaten - I meticulously weigh and measure everything and have the tracker on my phone so I do it every time I add something to a recipe or eat anything.

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Try to eat a bit more... you are set at a very low amount of calories.

Starvation mode doesn't exist... and even if it did two weeks of eating low calories when you have a lot to lose won't hurt anything.

Otherwise, just give it time. You lost a lot the first two weeks. You will not lose weight every week no matter how hard you work and what you eat. THere will be weeks you gain and stay the same. It's just part of the way weight loss works.
  • gabiii1989
    Options
    Thank you for your advice :) Would you recommend I go up to 1300, or try to get it between 1230-1300? I should mention I have depression and always find I need quite a bit extra sleep so I don't have quite as long of a day as normal people have, and I'm also quite sedentary at the moment (revising for exams and I have a killer cold!).

I did forget that some weeks are not going to be great - I suppose I should keep reminding myself of that. It's quite disheartening at the start though!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    You said you were 200+ lbs?? I am 175 lbs and I eat 1672 cals a day, sleep a lot as well and get in atleast 150 cal burn a day... you NEED to eat more calories.. I would aim for nothing less than 1400!!
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    In my experience the only way around this is patience. It is pretty normal for weight loss to stop for a little while. One thing however: did you maybe not spend the week spending 10-12 hours just in bed, and the rest also in stillness (on the couch etc. for example). Not walking/working/going to school strongly reduces your actual calorie needs.

(I am asking this because 1200 is very low and you still did not mention being hungry which would be normal at this intake level.)
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I would find out what your BMR is and eat at that. I am 5' 5" and last week weighed in at 203lbs and I eat 1500 a day and exercise cals.

I would be eating more than 1300... If you undereat for far too long your metabolism will decrease after a while.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    You need to workout your TDEE and BMR (Google them) and this will tell you how much to eat you need to eat more to lose weight sounds silly but its true
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Don't get disheartened. Weight loss isn't always predictable and doesn't seem to follow set patterns at times. You may you lose a large amount the next week. Your body doesn't know your checking it weekly to see if it's behaving itself and shedding fat lol. It will dump excess fat when it's ready, if you've been eating at a deficit it will happen.
  • ParisKennedy
    ParisKennedy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When I do extreme dieting my weight loss stalls after two weeks just exactly as yours did and it is called a "plateau". Jillian Michaels says to eat above what you had been eating for about 2 or 3 days to break the plateau. And then go back to your low calorie plan.

What I believe has happened with you is that you lost carbs and water weight your first two weeks and now it is time for some fat burning loss which is slower to come off. I would do as Jillian says and take a couple days off and then hit it again to trick your body.

Another thing that could be happening is if you're a female you will gain water retention before your period and also during ovulation which is about 11 - 15 days after your period. Hormones play a factor in our weight loss/gain, etc.

Whatever you do, don't give up. Keep going, because EVENTUALLY you will start losing again. If you don't start losing after about another week, I would kick up my cardio or reduce my carbs (change something).

If you watch Biggest Loser, even THEY don't lose every week (even when they try). At least the women don't. It's just how our bodies are and as I said, "hormones" if you're a female (which I think you are by the handle, but not sure).
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I would find out what your BMR is and eat at that. I am 5' 5" and last week weighed in at 203lbs and I eat 1500 a day and exercise cals.

I would be eating more than 1300... If you undereat for far too long your metabolism will decrease after a while.

This^

Best of luck! :)
  • sherylfa
    sherylfa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think your calorie intake may be a bit low...maybe bump it up to 1300/day? Are you getting enough protein/carbs? Try to remember that you are doing an amazing job just by being aware of what you are putting in your body! If you add any exercise, like a 30 minute walk every day, it will make such a difference. Be patient and just keep on track...you WILL see results...maybe not as quickly as you would like...but this is your life, your health...YOU are worth the effort!
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Just did your TDEE and you should be eating 1852 calories without doing any exercise to lose 3lbs a week
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to live on salads and low cal foods. Fat doesn't make you fat, eating too much makes you fat. If you want to stay at the 1200 calorie mark it probably won't hurt you but start eating decent foods. Full fat yogurts, peanut butter, eggs, use oils, cheese, nuts, etc. It's not hard at all to eat your calories in those foods and you'll feel better as well as get the nutrition you need.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    At 265 pounds, eating only 1200 calories can make you feel like you're starving. That was my starting weight, and to lose two pounds a week, I was eating 1700/day.
  • ParisKennedy
    ParisKennedy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I replied earlier, but thought of something else. I read that we should cycle diet (you may need to Google this) and eat more on alternating days to trick our bodies, bc when you eat the same every day your body adapts so that you won't lose and it stores the fat. Most bodybuilders and fitness models do this sort of dieting to lose. It's hard to explain, but will make more sense if you Google and read up on it. I am not a "cycle dieter" but being that I just read about this, I am going to Google and try it too. I think this is along the lines of what I told you Jillian Michaels said to do with "eating more calories for a few days and tricking your body to break the plateau you're in.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have been 'stuck' at my weight now for nearly 2 months.. still losing pant sizes and increasing my exercise. I suspect it is muscle (I can only hope!). I decided to start tracking my body fat % as well as weight.

Be patient too. Been on a few long plateaus over the year of weight loss, and then dropped. Sometimes our bodies don't adjust to the pace we want!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I would say at 265lbs, you might need to eat a bit more.

Maybe eat 1400-1500 cals for one week and see what happens. It is really all trial and error until you find something your body likes.
    Also if you are exercising ALOT and you are sticking to 1230 cals per day you need more food.

I always eat 1250-1400 per day, and NEVER eat back my exercise calories but I cheat every Friday, so I think it makes up the difference :) works for me, again trial and error.

I would fathom a guess you need to eat more.
  • lisamariebennett
    lisamariebennett Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest you eat more. The link someone posted earlier (road map) is a good place to start. I am 195 pounds, eating 1800-2000 calories a day, and losing a pound a week.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough, I think. You need to know your BMR and TDEE numbers and eat between those 2 numbers. TDEE minus 20% of your TDEE is an excellent starting point. This is a great calculator to estimate your BMR and TDEE:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Keep in mind too, that weight loss doesn't happen linearly. It happens in chunks. There will likely be weeks that you don't lose anything and then weeks that the pounds just come off. Stick with it. You might watch your sodium, too. For many people (espec women) sodium triggers water retention that can mask fat loss.

Best Wishes!
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I replied earlier, but thought of something else. I read that we should cycle diet (you may need to Google this) and eat more on alternating days to trick our bodies, bc when you eat the same every day your body adapts so that you won't lose and it stores the fat. Most bodybuilders and fitness models do this sort of dieting to lose. It's hard to explain, but will make more sense if you Google and read up on it. I am not a "cycle dieter" but being that I just read about this, I am going to Google and try it too. I think this is along the lines of what I told you Jillian Michaels said to do with "eating more calories for a few days and tricking your body to break the plateau you're in.

Indeed, google Zig zag calories to read more if you are unfamiliar, OP.

There are a lot of things I haven't asked and the more I come back to the thread, the more I want to know (e.g. do you take measurements).

Sometimes weight loss stalls for a few extra days, I know I often lose weight around every 8 to 9 days.. not because I am not creating a big deficit but because of water weight, muscle gains, etc,. I know a lot of people posting are stating that you have hit a plateau but I do not believe this is the case. Eating 1200 cals a day for a person who weighs 180 let alone someone who weighs more is not enough. Most folks need atleast 2300 cals a day (no exercise) to maintain their weight.

I used calorie count by about.com to come up with my daily caloric intake for weight loss and entered it here. You can also google TDEE and go that route. I have been successfully losing weight, inches with that number for months also recently discovering that I have had PTSD for years undiagnosed. Don't throw in the towel, adjust your caloric intake - fill the extra 200-600 (or whatever you get recommended) calories with fruits, vegetables, legumes and high protein/fibre sources and see the lbs begin to melt off again. Don't forget to drink lots of water and watch your sodium intake!

Feel free to add me as a friend for support - would love to read updates on how you are doing!