What do I do now?

Options
Ok, so I have been at the same weight for about 2 months now about 5 pounds shy of what I set for my goal. I feel like my body is just not going to give me the last 5 pounds. I did recently have my body fat tested and it was at 20% which I was told was good. I feel good, I know I am more toned but I am unsure what to do now? I am bored with my routine, I am not logging my food and feel like I am on a downward spiral back to what I was.
I would like to step it up a notch and maybe get a little more toned but unsure how to really do that. I guess I am just venting because I'm not satisfied with what I see but don't know what to do or if I have the motivation to do it. Any suggestions?

Replies

• christinagriffith
    christinagriffith Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Look for a Body Pump class near you... It is an endurance weight lifting class. You might gain muscle weight but you will tone up for sure! My arms and back looked amazing when I was faithful to the class. Good Luck!
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'll say the opposite of Christinagriffith.

Go heavy on the weights. Preferably free weights. If you are uncomfortable on your own, find a trainer who will help you out. Don't fear the free weights!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    20% is very good for a female.

if you're looking to do some more body shaping, mix it up, figure out what you like to do and do variations. If you like aerobics, do some classes that are based on aerobics but encorporate other things like (the previously stated) body pump, body attack, or maybe Zumba.

If you enjoy more high intensity stuff, try some boot camps. Or you could look for local leagues if you like more team based activity, like volleyball or basketball.

There's lots of stuff out there, you just need to do a little bit of research and see what's available in your area.
  • amyfritz
    amyfritz Posts: 33
    Options
    My input is that you have put on some muscle weight and that is why the scale hasnt budged. If your body fat is 20% that is great. For toning you will want to do lighter weight, more reps; rather than heavier and fewer. All heavier and fewer will get you is bigger muscles. You could always try pilates for toning, I hear a lot of people swear by it
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    My input is that you have put on some muscle weight and that is why the scale hasnt budged. If your body fat is 20% that is great. For toning you will want to do lighter weight, more reps; rather than heavier and fewer. All heavier and fewer will get you is bigger muscles. You could always try pilates for toning, I hear a lot of people swear by it

Not entirely true, lifting heavy weights can build lean muscle, not necessary bulk, which will give you a toned look. Lifting heavy will only make you bigger if you are going extreme and are in a caloric surplus (eating more than maintenance calories and exercise calories).
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I lift as heavy as I can to do 3 sets of 10-15 reps (depending on the exercise). The heavier you can lift the more lean muscle you will build. Low weights and high reps is a good switch to do to change up your routine but if you want more intensity then go heavier. You WON'T bulk up and look like a bodybuilder. Not without the help of testosterone and a 3000 calorie/day diet filled with 100s of grams of protein and weight gainers.

Also try jogging, spin class, zumba, kickboxing, swimming.... I hear P90X is fantastic! Pilates is great too! And I totally recommend a boot camp!
  • mrsvezeau
    mrsvezeau Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I think I am going to look into Pilates. Isn't that what Madanna does - she is super toned. That was a good suggestion and worth a try. - Also review my weight lifting routine. :happy:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I think I am going to look into Pilates. Isn't that what Madanna does - she is super toned. That was a good suggestion and worth a try. - Also review my weight lifting routine. :happy:

well, I mean, that may be what madonna does, and pilates are a good routine, but I wouldn't limit yourself to that. Anyway, madonna is super skinny (not my cup of tea). There are lots of ways to shape up, and pilates is only one of them, and may or may not be the best way for you, I would suggest trying many different types, then deciding when you find something that works for you. Don't limit yourself before you've tried it.

Have you ever heard of crossfit? I'm not a crossfit instructor, and as such, this is not a way to advertise on my part, but it's a GREAT workout in a relatively short time period. That's just an example. Another would be P90X, another would be a boot camp, yet another would be doing some kind of a full body circuit of free weights and machines. All can be encorporated for an excellent routine that can get you trim and cut after the majority of the fat is gone (the situation you are in).
  • mrsvezeau
    mrsvezeau Posts: 30
    Options
    I have heard a lot about p90X but my one concern is that I have a gym membership. When you do that program do you ONLY do that or do you still cardio as normal?