healthy side dishes?

Options
sabgoe
sabgoe Posts: 65 Member
Any ideas? I cook from scratch every day. I have many recipes for one-pot kind of meals, but when I make things like fish or chicken breasts, I struggle to find fun, creative and healthy side dishes. Help me out, please! :)

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I usually just do some veggies as my side dish.
  • harliqueen
    Options
    Any vegetables (broccoli, zucchini, bell peppers etc...) sauteed/roasted in garlic, salt/pepper, chilli flakes and olive oil.
  • CourtneyGetsFit_
    Options
    Green Giant: Garden Vegetable Medley. Its in the freezer section and comes in a bag or a box.
  • westeimer
    westeimer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is a great time of year to turn on your oven and roast veggies. I love Cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, green beans, eggplant, Pick one or do a mixture and drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle pepper and salt and roast for about 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven. I usually turn them once during cooking. Delicious!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    rice
    quinoa
    pasta w/ olive oil

or skip the carbs and just have a yummy salad.
  • dellalyn
    Options
    I've been really working on my salads. With the pre-washed tubs of greens it's easy to get creative!
    I love hard cooked egg in my salad. A sprinkle of cheese, maybe a couple of crumbled up crackers for crunch and then lots of veggies. Craisens, sunflower seeds, olives, garbanzo beans, black beans.

I agree also with previous posters on veggies but you can kick them up with lemon or orange zest.
    I"m currently roasting some potato parsnip, fennel, and carrot right now - about 145 cal for 1 cup.

roasted squash with rosemary - one of my favs

I'm getting ready to order the Mark Bittman book "how to cook everything vegetarian" and hoping to get more ideas.
  • dellalyn
    Options
    This is a great time of year to turn on your oven and roast veggies. I love Cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, green beans, eggplant, Pick one or do a mixture and drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle pepper and salt and roast for about 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven. I usually turn them once during cooking. Delicious!

This!! Yum!!!
  • appleloniahcharles
    Options
    Hi Sabgo,

You can roast vegetables like bell pepper, romano tomatoes and white mushrooms in the oven. All you have to do is wash slice and season with olive oil, Ms. dash seasoning, black pepper and a pinch of salt if you care. Roasting time is 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees. You can also do the same with sweet yams and squash or pumkin but watch the portion size.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Tomato and onion salad. Just get several types of tomatoes and some sweet onions, cut them up and put some FF italian or make some balsamic vinegrette on them and toss it all together.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    To my delight, hubby has fallen in love with oven roasted french fries sprinkled with NoSalt. I make a mix of light mayo and low sugar catsup for dipping sauce. My non-diet hubby is not the wiser.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    rice
    quinoa
    pasta w/ olive oil

or skip the carbs and just have a yummy salad.

FWIW: A salad is carbs, (unless there's meat on it), except the dressing, which is pretty much just fat. :flowerforyou:
  • brittrose33
    Options
    Roasted veggies are awesome. My friends all love my wilted spinach, which is one of my favourite side dishes. It's also really awesome mixed up with brown rice and some spices. :smile:
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Steam artichokes with lemon and a bay leaf and then dip them in a mixture of low fat mayo and balsamic vinegar
  • kayla554
    kayla554 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I get the frozen box of broccoli and cheese and just throw it in the micro, easy! ..sounds unhealthy right? But only like 130 calories for the whole box and It's meant for two or three servings so you probably won't consume the whole box.

Oh you cook from scratch only? Never mind then