Whelp, that plan didn't work

Options
Been on Phentermine for a month. It helped a lot with my snacking in between meals. Ate a lot less but not too little. Couldn't exercise this month as I'm recovering from surgery. Yeah, nadda. No weight loss. I hate how stubborn my body is. I can kick it's *kitten*, eat nothing, and it still insists upon staying this weight. Stupid body.

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're doing it all right by your ticker. Surgery is a valid excuse to put exercise on hold as your body is trying to recover. Its been 3 months since I lost anything but I'm still doing because what I was doing before just made me fatter. You could just give up. Or you could keep kicking @ss. Its up to you.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're doing it all right by your ticker. Surgery is a valid excuse to put exercise on hold as your body is trying to recover. Its been 3 months since I lost anything but I'm still doing because what I was doing before just made me fatter. You could just give up. Or you could keep kicking @ss. Its up to you.

My ticker's my net weight lost from my highest point. I actually haven't lost a pound in over 2 years now :noway:

I'll keep kicking *kitten*, though. I have another Tough Mudder coming up Ha!
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

My ticker's my net weight lost from my highest point. I actually haven't lost a pound in over 2 years now :noway:

Well that's curious.

What are your stats? Exercise plan? All that good stuff.
  • taramaureen
    Options

Well that's curious.

What are your stats? Exercise plan? All that good stuff.

Right now since I'm not exercising I keep pretty strict at 1,200 cals, when I am exercising about 1500 cals, maybe a little more depending on the day then I'll cycle them to no more than 2,100 depending on how close I am to an event and what kind of training I'm doing at the time. I keep my macros at 15% protien, 45% carbs, 40% fat and make sure I stay within them. I'm also completely gluten free (celiac disease). I've experimented a LOT to see what will work best for me in terms of energy and weight. I value energy over anything and I try not to starve myself. But if I am not exercising I have to be strict or I'll blow up like a damn baloon. I've tried doing more cals, less cals, starvation cals, paleo, vegitarian, high carb, low carb, high fat, low fat. fast food diet (that was fun!). It's why I keep my diary closed, When I'm trying something new, I stay on it for a month or two see no change, decide I was better off the other way and go back to my standard.

I normally run 3 days a week. 2 days are 3 miles, 1 day is 7-10 miles and one day a week I do cardio kickboxing and an hour with a personal trainer. I kick up the exercise depending on what I'm training for. Right now I'm looking at Hal Higdon's half marathon for novice training program for my second half marathon.

Oh and I'm 180lbs.
  • Healthygirlforlife
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked?
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are eating too little and you may want to change your macros to be heavier on protein and lighter on carbs. Also measure success in other ways - inches lost, better fitting clothing, strength improvements, endurance improvements.
  • taramaureen
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked?

Yep, it's fine. I don't have ovaries though. I'm going to talk to my doctor about HRT at my post surgery check up on Friday.
  • taramaureen
    Options
    Sounds like you are eating too little and you may want to change your macros to be heavier on protein and lighter on carbs. Also measure success in other ways - inches lost, better fitting clothing, strength improvements, endurance improvements.

Oh, don't get me wrong I do. It's why I got into running because I can see the improvement in endurance. I've been at the same size for 2 years as well, no improvement in inches lost or better fitting clothing except at the very beginning (went from a 16 to a 12, maintained 12 for a good year and a half now).

I could go heavier on the protein, something I'm actually looking into how to make work right now. But the calories, nope. Won't increase them. I've found I operate within a very strict caloric range or I get heavy, fast. I tried doing the whole TDEE thing last year for a few months (I think from March to May?) started seeing my weight slowly creeping up and put the cabosh on that.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster that said your calories are too low. I think you've probably done some metabolic damage with long-term restriction, and may need to accept the necessity to gain a few lbs and do a "metabolic reset". The weight will come back on once your metabolism comes back from the crypt, and then you be able to lose the rest of the weight and eat more, especially since you said your doctor ruled out thyroid problems, etc. I'm sorry for the trouble it's been causing you- I think it may take some time to repair, especially since you've already gone the phentermine route.

If you're unwilling to try that- and really try it, correctly, where you don't quit because you gain a couple pounds, I don't know how to help you. Good luck.
  • taramaureen
    Options
    I agree with the poster that said your calories are too low. I think you've probably done some metabolic damage with long-term restriction, and may need to accept the necessity to gain a few lbs and do a "metabolic reset". The weight will come back on once your metabolism comes back from the crypt, and then you be able to lose the rest of the weight and eat more, especially since you said your doctor ruled out thyroid problems, etc. I'm sorry for the trouble it's been causing you- I think it may take some time to repair, especially since you've already gone the phentermine route.

If you're unwilling to try that- and really try it, correctly, where you don't quit because you gain a couple pounds, I don't know how to help you. Good luck.

Yeah, I can't do that. I have REALLY tried it. I tried it for months. Not only did I gain weight RAPIDLY (10+lbs), it never came back off.
  • taramaureen
    Options

Yeah, I can't do that. I have REALLY tried it. I tried it for months. Not only did I gain weight RAPIDLY (10+lbs), it never came back off.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    What is your bodyfat percentage, have you calculated your BMR from that or even had it properly tested? Yes you will gain coming back from chronic undereating, you've probably reduced your metabolism. Hormonal issues will affect the amount of muscle you naturally maintain, physical activity should boost that but won't if you are undereating and/ or overexercising. Definitely get all your hormones checked and every nutrient level they will do - I struggle to see how you can meet the macro AND micro nutrient requirements given your exercise level and calorie intake. Sometimes it's the combinations people have not tried, they will do increased calories OR nutrient dense OR different macro split/ macro types. Many nutrients play key roles in energy production and in weight management.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Oh, don't get me wrong I do. It's why I got into running because I can see the improvement in endurance. I've been at the same size for 2 years as well, no improvement in inches lost or better fitting clothing except at the very beginning (went from a 16 to a 12, maintained 12 for a good year and a half now).

Have you thought about getting into lifting? Maybe check out Stronglifts 5x5 or New rules of lifting for women.
    I could go heavier on the protein, something I'm actually looking into how to make work right now. But the calories, nope. Won't increase them. I've found I operate within a very strict caloric range or I get heavy, fast. I tried doing the whole TDEE thing last year for a few months (I think from March to May?) started seeing my weight slowly creeping up and put the cabosh on that.

If you don't want to increase calories, trade out carbs for protein. Maybe start slow and set your macros at 25p/35c/40f. The increase in protein will keep you feeling fuller longer and the decrease in carbs will show on the scale as water weight. Over the long term, diets high in protein has shown to preserve more lean body mass and have a slightly higher ratio of fat loss.

Were you eating at your TDEE? That might explain the creep up in weight if you were estimating a bit high. Raising your calories will definitely show on the scale in the beginning.
    When I'm trying something new, I stay on it for a month or two see no change, decide I was better off the other way and go back to my standard.

Seeing no change on the scale does not necessarily reflect improvements or the lack of. Did you notice a change in your performance when eating more? Energy levels? Attitude?

How tall are you? If you're (I'd guess) taller then 5'6, you're probably at a point where you'd have to put your setting at 1/2 to 1 pound of loss a week. Being within 50 pounds of your goal, it's going to take a lot more time.
    I normally run 3 days a week. 2 days are 3 miles, 1 day is 7-10 miles and one day a week I do cardio kickboxing and an hour with a personal trainer. I kick up the exercise depending on what I'm training for. Right now I'm looking at Hal Higdon's half marathon for novice training program for my second half marathon.

Oh and I'm 180lbs.

This is A LOT of exercise. You're easily burning 500-750 calories on the days you run 10 miles. If you are eating 1500 calories, that only gives your body 1000 calories or less to do its daily functions like make your heart beat.
  • taramaureen
    Options

Have you thought about getting into lifting? Maybe check out Stronglifts 5x5 or New rules of lifting for women.

If you don't want to increase calories, trade out carbs for protein. Maybe start slow and set your macros at 25p/35c/40f. The increase in protein will keep you feeling fuller longer and the decrease in carbs will show on the scale as water weight. Over the long term, diets high in protein has shown to preserve more lean body mass and have a slightly higher ratio of fat loss.

Were you eating at your TDEE? That might explain the creep up in weight if you were estimating a bit high. Raising your calories will definitely show on the scale in the beginning.
    When I'm trying something new, I stay on it for a month or two see no change, decide I was better off the other way and go back to my standard.

Seeing no change on the scale does not necessarily reflect improvements or the lack of. Did you notice a change in your performance when eating more? Energy levels? Attitude?

How tall are you? If you're (I'd guess) taller then 5'6, you're probably at a point where you'd have to put your setting at 1/2 to 1 pound of loss a week. Being within 50 pounds of your goal, it's going to take a lot more time.

Oh and I'm 180lbs.

This is A LOT of exercise. You're easily burning 500-750 calories on the days you run 10 miles. If you are eating 1500 calories, that only gives your body 1000 calories or less to do its daily functions like make your heart beat.

I'm 5'2. I do lifting with my trainer. I hate lifting haaaaaaaaaatttttttteeeeee it. I need her to motivate me :D Also on the longer runs they're NORMALLY around 7 miles unless I'm training for an event. Since I haven't ran in a few weeks I'll probably start my "long" runs around 5 miles as my endurance has taken a beating over the last month for sure. I do try to cycle my cals for my long run days. Those are normally my cheat days where I don't even count so IDK how much I'm eating those days.

I was eating at my TDEE which, I think, was like 2,500 cals. So maybe it was too high? I was just disturbed by the rapidness of the gain and the fact that I was told it would eventually start going away but never did. I gained like 10 lbs the first month then just stayed there, after 2 months of that I was like screw it. I do take notice when I'm experimenting how I feel/energy, etc. If I find something feels great, I adapt the habit for the long term. Like throwing spinach into practically everything.

I'll try the higher protien for sure!
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Ok, i am no expert but i would suggest a few things if you havent tried them. Eat small portions every two to three hours, raise your lean protein and reduce carbs like higher sugar fruits. Whole grains only, modify/ slow the effect of carbs by only having good carbs by havng protein with every meal. Only eat what can be used in two hours. I too think you are not getting enough food for what you did or do and your body is storing everything you eat. Have you talked to a nutritionist?

Get enough sleep. Drink lots of water, then drink more.

Stop running, your body has adapted to it. Change to eliptical, cycling, aerobics, roller skating, whatever.

I agree with others that your metabolism is out of whack.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You may not have found a strength training program that fits you. They aren't all the same and if you really want to see changes in your size, I highly recommend reducing some of the cardio, eating more, and doing weight training 2x per week. I really loved Butt Bible, NROLFW, and NROLFA.