Can I Eat This?

Options
Okay well I was under the impression the whole time that to not eat/drink bad food/drinks. I have found out I can eat whatever I want as long as it fits in my "Food Diary". Is this true? Or should I just stick to eating grapes and stuff, because I would love to drink this Mountain Dew right next to me.

Edit: I am fine giving up soda, it's just what else should I drink instead of water?

Replies

• Hey__Im__Krista
    Options
    if it fits in your calories, drink it
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Total BS. For overall health nutrition is just as important as calories. If you fill your diary with junk calories, you may lose weight but you could still be undernourished. Plus, junk food is addictive and can be very hard to eat in moderation.
  • cllmetatrsld
    cllmetatrsld Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well it is different for everyone. Some people find it difficult to stick to the diet if they give in to their cravings...if I eat M&Ms...I can't eat just a quarter cup and not crave more. BUT at the same time if you hold back from EVERYTHING you love to eat, then it's also hard to stick to a boring bland diet. I stay away from candy and sweets but eat the other foods I love like macaroni and cheese. Soda has about zero nutrients though so if you must have it...at least go diet soda.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want. Some people follow a 'if it fits within my macros, I'll eat/drink it' method. Others won't touch it if it isn't inherently 'healthy'. You need to work out what YOU want from this.
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    Technically speaking if it fits into your daily intake you can have it... But for me it is about making better choices and still having things I enjoy....

I love wine, and I will find a spot in my daily calories to have it, but do make better choices over all... Sorry if I seem to be rambling...
    I just think personally for me it is all about balance...
  • TylerLtd
    Options
    I want to drink it so bad, but I guess I will just drink Water :( I can't really drink anything else except Water.
  • emilykg12
    emilykg12 Posts: 119
    Options
    Nope, just grapes. All day, every day.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating whatever you want within your calorie budget for sure.

Is it a good idea to eat all junk all the time? Not really. I'm not a fan of the "eat clean or fail" mentality though. It's not sustainable or realistic for many people. If you're eating well most of the time, a few indulgences that fit your calories are fine.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'd try for mostly healthy, nutrient dense foods. But if you're doing that and hitting your macros, and you want to have mountain dew then just fit it in your calories and enjoy. :)
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Getting ALL your calories for the day from Mountain Dew and other junk = very bad idea. Having the occasional Mountain Dew within your calorie goals along with generally healthy foods = not a problem.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    If it fits into my macros and calories.. Because I am focusing on health and weightloss.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    it really depends what works for you, personally if I completely deprive myself of junk food, like snacks, and ice cream, then I will periodicly get a huge craving and give in, especially if I'm at a party or something and there's something there, I will not resist. So I have "healthy" junk food around, like skinny cow ice cream bars, only 100 calories (and yes not healthy) but that way I don't like build up these cravings. Some people can't have any or they'll eat it all, and some people just don't really miss it too much. If you're one of the people that opts to not have anything bad usually, then occasionally having some stuff won't kill you.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I want to drink it so bad, but I guess I will just drink Water :( I can't really drink anything else except Water.

If you really want it, have it. Your plan needs to be sustainable for your real life. If you can't imagine never having Mountain Dew again, then don't cut it now.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight and you are on a lowered calorie plan, that 200 calorie Mt Dew is not going to fill you up, and it's going to cause you to crave more sugar.

Your choice, as always. Grapes are pretty sugary, too, so how about some cheese and eggs instead? It will fill you up and give you a lot of good protein. Have a slice of toast, too. Live a little.
  • TylerLtd
    Options
    What else is good to drink?

Before I have drank:

- Water
    - Gatorade
    - Mountain Dew
    - Monster Energy
    - Arizona Iced Tea
  • MusicInMyHeart
    Options
    if it fits in your calories, drink it

^^^This. I don't deprive myself of the simple pleasures in life. I can't give up my red wine!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Okay well I was under the impression the whole time that to not eat/drink bad food/drinks. I have found out I can eat whatever I want as long as it fits in my "Food Diary". Is this true? Or should I just stick to eating grapes and stuff, because I would love to drink this Mountain Dew right next to me.

yes, you can eat that entire stick of butter you've been eyeing.

cheers! :drinker:
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I know some people who can drink 6-8 sodas a day. If this is how you are/were/don't want to be, then cut back slowly.

The headaches will kill you if you don't.

I personally don't take in anything with caffeine in it. (Drs orders) But I do take in chocolate. Every now and then I will have a iced coffee and risk the headache the next day because I simply NEEEEEEDDDD one.....LOL

It's all about limiting the foods that are not good for you. I don't think any one will last long if they abolish all sorts of yummy foods from their diet. I know I can't. Moderation is the key.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If I really want it then I make room in my calories for it.....probably should not have that MD every day but once in a while is cool!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Do you know what fish do in water?
    Go with something germ free: moonshine :drinker: