Can I Eat This?

Options

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Soda usually tastes gross to me now, even real sugar soda... but if you like it, drink it. Just stay within your goal calories. I will have a quality ginger-ale on occasion, and Guinness is at least once a month!!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    If it's right next to you you have clearly already made your decision and just seeking attention or permission.
  • lisitabonita
    lisitabonita Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything, but what is your goal? Are you trying to develop healthier habits? Have general over all well being? Or just lose weight? A pop won't kill you once in awhile but it will take years off your life if it is a daily thing. Everything in moderation.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    If you have room in your calories, drink it. Just don't only drink sodas....one every so often won't do you harm.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    And scotch, I love me some Lagavulin or Laphroiag!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Soda usually tastes gross to me now, even real sugar soda... but if you like it, drink it. Just stay within your goal calories. I will have a quality ginger-ale on occasion, and Guinness is at least once a month!!

Guinness should be once a day. It has lots of vitamins!
  • TylerLtd
    Options
    If it's right next to you you have clearly already made your decision and just seeking attention or permission.

No, I meant next to me as I could go and get it whenever. & Yes pretty much asking permission.
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Now that all depends.... I had 2 donuts yesterday that was well within my calorie goal and I was up 3 lbs this morning.... Of course its water weight from the sugar and carbs but still.... Thats more I have to work off. However, I do usually allow myself a soda or two a day and it doesnt effect me....
  • becki1815
    becki1815 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey giving up my Pepsi for about a month. Then when I allowed myself soda again, it was diet. I can't stand regular soda anymore.

But I almost don't like soda at all anymore, so I need to just quit it. But if I allowed myself a little, sometimes, I'd eat the whole thing. So if you have the ability to drink a small amount of Dew and stop there - then go for it. Log the calories and move on. But if the small glass will be your downfall, just don't do it!
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know about the "eat whatever you want" question of your posting lol - but I thought I'd share with you why I don't drink Mountain Dew anymore. (I live in GA - Mt Dew is like the redneck apple juice - grew up on that stuff! lol but do not drink it now)...

I was just curious and looked at the ingredients list on the bottle one day and saw "BROMINATED VEGETABLE OIL" - I'm thinking, "Huh?! Oil in my soda?? In my drink? How so?"

So I looked up what brominated vegetable oil is....
    ...It's a flame retardant for plastics.

***PIKCHOW*** (that's the sound of me blowing your mind lol)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Okay well I was under the impression the whole time that to not eat/drink bad food/drinks. I have found out I can eat whatever I want as long as it fits in my "Food Diary". Is this true? Or should I just stick to eating grapes and stuff, because I would love to drink this Mountain Dew right next to me.

From my very first day on MFP (April 10, 2011) I've eaten ice cream, pizza, jelly beans, cake, cookies, burgers and fries. (and all regular versions - not 'diet' versions). I lost 66 pounds really easily and have been maintaining that loss since early June.

I wholeheartedly believe that you can eat whatever you like, so long as it fits in your macros.

That said, I eat very little processed/convenience food. If I eat a cupcake, it's handmade and normal-sized, not a supersize bakery cupcake. If I eat candy, I used my food scale and measure out a single serving. If I have pizza, I make it myself from the crust to the sauce.

I also am very active. I'm not saying I kill myself at the gym, but I'm always busy and walk everywhere.

Different people will have different experiences. This is just what has worked for me. :smile:
  • Olivia1977
    Olivia1977 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you want it and it fits in your daily calories, eat it. Salt and sugar are my weaknesses but if I don't eat these at all, I am miserable. So I do eat some chips, and cookies in moderation. Portion control is the key for me :)
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    regular tea is good to drink, like unsweetened, you can have soda or diet soda and all that stuff just don't overdo it, and gatorade and stuff have that before working out when you do a hard work out
  • wolfpack77
    Options
    Soda has zero nutritional value and is extremely high in sugar. It wont kill you but if your goal is to get healthier, its not going to help you either. Probably a good idea to start cutting these out in favor of healthier choices. Developing these habits is crucial to your long term success.

But as the Hodgetwins say, its just advice. Eat whatever the *kitten* you wanna eat!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Okay well I was under the impression the whole time that to not eat/drink bad food/drinks. I have found out I can eat whatever I want as long as it fits in my "Food Diary". Is this true? Or should I just stick to eating grapes and stuff, because I would love to drink this Mountain Dew right next to me.

If you are young and healthy, you can probably get away with it. But you must always be aware that it is taking up room in your calorie allotment that would be better spent on something that will not have a deleterious affect on your health (soda pop is one of the worst "foods" imaginable, on that score). I am a smallish person (don't have a lot of lean body mass) so in order to lose body fat healthfully, I must make EVERY calorie count. I never eat sugary foods and I especially never drink soda pop---as tempting as they are. My friends and family don't even offer those things to me anymore because they know the answer will always be "no, thanks" :smile:
  • blue696
    blue696 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I usually allow myself one unhealthy snack a day, and sometimes it turns into a little bit more than that, but never more than a few hundred calories. You can have the mountain dew occasionally, just vary up your unhealthy snack, but know you can for sure have it, as long as its not everyday and your whole diet
  • Topher1978
    Options

Guinness should be once a day. It has lots of vitamins!
    Yeah, it is good for the Bs. The signs in Ireland often read, "Drink Guinness, It's Good For You!"
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight on it if it's under your calories but that doesn't mean you should eat it. There's a lot of other factors on WHAT gets lost depending on how well you eat.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Food is fuel, man. Right now you're building a ferrari (your new bod). Are you gonna put the best fuel in it you can afford (clean eating) or are you gonna get the watered down junk from the corner?
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Actually, kid, it's best if you learn to eat responsibly and that means that if you have a few hundred calories left that you can eat an Oreo or something. We aren't perfect but we are perfecting ourselves..and that takes practice.