Is my weight goal low enough?

Options
I'm just under 5'4" and have a medium/average frame. I set my final goal at 135 and am at 147 now. Since my goal is drawing closer, I'm wondering if I set my goal low enough or should I aim for lower. Different weight calculators have given me different weights to shoot for....unsure what my correct weight range for my frame size and height should be. Thanks!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Short term goals are good! It's encouraging when you hit the goal. When you hit 35, re-evaluate based on how you look & feel, and go from there.
  • lady_jessi
    lady_jessi Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think you've got to base that on how you feel when you get there. Everyone carries their weight differently and has different body fat %'s. 135 sounds like a lovely normal weight though to me.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Short term goals are good! It's encouraging when you hit the goal. When you hit 35, re-evaluate based on how you look & feel, and go from there.

This!
    I'm a firm believe in mini goals. As you attain them, reassess and see if you need to make another goal. Good luck!
  • lilteeraw
    lilteeraw Posts: 261
    Options
    If you reach your goal and dont feel satisfied.. lower your goal 5 more lbs:P
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Yes this! ^
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Why don't you reevaluate after you reach your goal? I'm 5'4" and my original goal was 135 as well. I reset it for 130 after I reached 135 and I am pretty happy with this size.
  • freekat
    freekat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Weight is not always the most important thing. When you get to this goal weight maybe you could evaluate your life based on health and sustainability issues. Pick a diet and exercise plan that is aiming for healthy diet, frequent exercise and something you can stick to for forever. Good luck with everything and well done on almost reaching your goal!
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" also and when I was down to 136 last summer I was wearing a size 4. I had thought my goal was going to be around 125 but really I think 135 is fine for me.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    When you reach your weight goal, then I'd ask four questions -

Are you able to do all the activity you want?
    Is your BMI in normal range?
    Is your body fat percentage in normal range?
    Are you happy with what you see in the mirror?

If you answer yes to all these questions, then I'd say you're done. If no, then you need to re-assess a new goal.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Weight is not always the most important thing. When you get to this goal weight maybe you could evaluate your life based on health and sustainability issues. Pick a diet and exercise plan that is aiming for healthy diet, frequent exercise and something you can stick to for forever. Good luck with everything and well done on almost reaching your goal!

Good one. Sustainability is important. I'm sure your doctor would rather see you consistently at the high end of your healthy weight range, than bouncing up and down between low and high, or even low and medium.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" 52 yo and I have my goal set at 130 but I have been hovering between 132 and 133 for about 2 months and I realized that my body is happy at this weight and I am happy eating this many calories, so I think I'm good at 132. Now I will concentrate on building some muscle, even if the number on the scale goes up a bit.
  • flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've actually lowered my goal by five pounds (quite a while ago), but even at my goal, I'll be classified as "overweight". However, I think my goal is reasonable and some friends have said it is too low. I have been at or below my goal about a week since I was in ninth grade and not at all since the 70s.

As written in other posts, I think there are many things to consider--true body fat percentage, comfort with the weight, and health would be some considerations--and each person has to consider their own circumstances to decide what is the right number for them.
  • Motivated_Mom_4
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. My problem is that I don't know what my ideal weight range is for being 5'4" and medium frame. The things I see online vary so much and some don't even account for frame size. Is 135 near the high end or middle end for my height and frame size? Looks wise, I feel like I will be happy there as I'm not horribly unhappy with myself now. Sustaining it won't be a problem, Ihavent struggled with having a calorie deficit or exercising a few times a week thus far. It may be hard to make myself eat more when I'm ready to maintain.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Body fat is more important than weight. Measure your body fat (calipers, they are inexpensive) and try to get down to a healthy body fat percentage for your age.
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    keep it simple, when u think u look as u want to look then you are there, putting a target is awesome just dont get obsessed with it