Seattle folks- I NEED YOUR HELP

Options
Factory_Reset
Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
My husband recently took a job in the Seattle area, which means we will be relocating from SW Washington. So yes, I know about the rain.lol. He will be working in Auburn and the Interbay areas. Here's where I need help. I want to know the best towns to live in. Good schools, safe, and if possible, living somewhere where we could still have 1-5acres. And it's not reasonable for us to live somewhere where homes cost $500,000. The biggest issue is he gets called for work and needs to be able to get there within 2hrs. Have been researching since the beginning of December and it is just making me crazy. The guy he's training with, who's from Arlington, has pointed out some places, but I'd like to hear from others who live up there. We both don't want to live in the downtown area either. Small is good as long as it's not crackville(that's what someone told me when I said we were looking at Granite Falls).

So please, let me hear the best places to move to!

Replies

• BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I live in Bonney Lake and have for most of my life. Great area, good schools, reasonably priced homes, and about 30 min away from Auburn :) good luck!
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I live in Puyallup. South Hill is lovely and its about 15 minutes from Auburn.
  • MyFitGrlSwag
    MyFitGrlSwag Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I live in the Olympia/Lacey area and can hop onto I-5 and be in the Auburn area in about 40-45 minutes. Olympia is a great area. It has a nice dowtown near the capital, and great suburbs. Schools are really great as well. Beautiful area. Prices are cheaper to live here (Thurston County) compared to the Auburn/Tacoma area (King/Pierece counties).

Welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    i usually ask these questions on yelp
  • tracielinn
    tracielinn Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I second the Olympia/Lacey/Tumwater area. I've lived here most of my life and it's not too big, not too small. The schools are great and everyone is friendly.
  • Factory_Reset
    Options

Thanks. I've never heard of that site. Read some stuff through yahoo and ask.com. I'll have to look at yelp.
  • Factory_Reset
    Options
    Thanks everyone! We've looked into the Olympia area, Bonney Lake, Maple Valley and Covington. Just weren't too sure about the areas. Everything looks good online! We were told to look at Marysville and Granite Falls, but then a friend who grew up there said they were not that great to live in. So many places to choose from.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I grew up in the north Seattle area and still have lots of family and friends there. Stay out of the area between Everett and Marysville, my brother tells me that the area has gone down hill. He now lives in the Arlington area and the commute is a killer. My best friend lives in the east Olympia area and has 5 acres in a nice area, again the commute can be a b!tch. Try to find an agent in the area and develop a working relationship with them. I know that driving thru downtown can take 3 hours (or more) during rush hour. If you can find a home where you can take surface streets to and from work (avoiding the main highways) you would be better off. Good Luck!
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options

Thanks. I've never heard of that site. Read some stuff through yahoo and ask.com. I'll have to look at yelp.

you are welcome :)

ofcourse there is some trolls in there as on any site and some helpful folks so yap yelp.com , i used it when i moved from Jordan to LA, then to San Jose , then to Oakland , Concord and finally Fresno

and checl, crimereport.com or crimereports.com , there was many other websites but u can check compare cities ebsites so ypu can check everything needed

so yap the guys will help
  • TheConsciousFoody
    Options
    It takes me 45 minutes to get from Olympia to Puyallup...so it would be a lot longer than that to get to Auburn. There is also some parts of Lakewood and Federalway that are nice. I wouldn't suggest Tacoma or Kent.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    Options

Ever since I learned that Yelp blackmails companies in order to get positive reviews I decided to stay far away from their website
  • runfrazierrun
    Options
    I live in University place I love the area!
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    So you're talking about an area that is just north of or in Pierce County, the unofficial meth-lab capital of the US. So I'd recommend calling the local police department of each city you're considering and getting crime statistics. There are many great places south of Seattle, but you still should be careful of some areas.
  • Factory_Reset
    Options
    Bumping since I'd like to hear of more places that are great and to know more places to avoid. DO NOT want to live in or close to "the meth capital."
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I used to live in the Puyallup-South Hill area. That's a nice place and not too far from Auburn.

And I'm not sure you can avoid meth heads pretty much anywhere in the PNW.