Carbs in veg/fruit

Options
I like the idea of trying to have more protein and less carbs, but the problem is, I track my food and even if I just eat loads of vegetables, it comes up as being pretty carb heavy, which seems odd. Like how a couple of carrots (which I eat all the time as a snack) are 10g of carbs. It just seems unusually high.

I'm not buying into the really low carb thing, just wanna up the protein really, but there's no way that cutting down on fruit and veg is a good thing. :/

Replies

• axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    10g of carbs is nothing, really.
  • TheBoyEnigma
    TheBoyEnigma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    yeah but in addition to everything else throughout the day, and I eat loads of vegetables.
    and then wholemeal stuff..
  • mmiller714
    mmiller714 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have read the book The South Beach Diet, and I use that as a guide for my diet. The book encourages dieters to focus more on natural carbs found in fruits and vegetables and avoid processed carbs found in processed foods. I aim to eat as natural as I can. When I do eat breads or pasta, or tortillas, I try to buy the lower carb versions. Although they have processed carbs, they don't have as much as other kinds. I wouldn't worry so much about carbs from vegetables and fruits. They are natural and affect your body differently than processed carbs. Since I have been eating more natural, I feel so much better. Now I don't crave "junk food" and when I do eat it I can tell a huge difference in how I feel. That makes me not even want it.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I do Atkins. I'm not saying that's what you should do. I just want to let you know that the carbs in fruits and veggies are way different than in breads and sugars. I count "net carbs". You subtract the fiber from the total carbs. You are eating the "good" carbs that your body needs. You're doing it right!
  • TheBoyEnigma
    TheBoyEnigma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That's a relief then, I was wondering how the hell people do low carb if it means things like no fruit. I don't follow any commercial 'diet plan', just do my own thing based on what seems sensible.