Protein powders vs Naturally occurring Proteins.

Options

Replies

• Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here, you don't need them if you can meet your protein needs without them. The informed and intelligent people on this thread use them for convenence which I can totally understand. However ALOT of people use them because they are really well marketed and they are convinced they 'need' them... Over xmas I was shopping with my 19 year old male cousin and watched him spend hundreds (that he can't afford) on protein powders, fat burners, pre-trainers etc... apparently everyone his age is the same. I'm not sure that they even know what they're all for or that is all for nought if you're not working it in the gym :(
  • jeffsweightloss
    jeffsweightloss Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    protein powders are good for you...just as food is. they are quick to make and you can take them anywhere. whey protein is fast digesting which means they get to your muscles faster. casin protein is a slow digesting protein that takes 8 hrs to digest. its a good protein to take before bed so your body doesn't break muscle down. eggs, soy, whey..and all protein powders have different absorbtion rates. whole foods take a while to break down..but if you can meet your needs for the amount of protein you need...then you're ok. casin protein is also nice if your out somewhere and you're not going to be eating in a while b/c it's broken down so slow that last for 8 hrs. it's very filling.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Ok, so yesterday I caved to all of the talk of protein powders and bought some. Today I ate some for one of my meals and to be honest....it brought back all of the memories of why I didn't like it when I've used it before. It almost made me feel...depressed or something. It was weird. Mostly I just felt unfulfilled by the consumption of the calories. I like to cook and consider myself a good and creative cook.

My question is this - if I stick with lean proteins like chicken, fish, and egg whites....are they as good as these sophisticated powders for building muscle? FYI, I'm trying to consume about 250 gms of protein a day for the next few weeks.

Why do people use them?

Sorry if these seems dumb or uninformed, but I would appreciate knowledgeable feedback from people who are lean and muscular.

They're not sophisticated, they're convenient. I use them because I'm a poor student. Sometimes I'm stuck at university and don't have time to go home and cook before an assignment is due and can't afford buying something expensive on campus. It's really easy to keep a little container of powder on me, and it doesn't go bad like a chicken breast would. Not to mention I'm always looking for ways to sneak more protein into my diet, because my nails have been significantly longer since I've increased my intake. It's also important to increase calcium in your diet the more protein you eat, so whey also seemed like a great idea there.

Why do we need more calcium? And how much more?
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I asked my trainer the same exact question and got the answer everyone else is giving you: protein is protein is protein, for some people/situations it's just easier to use whey powder. I keep coming back to try the powders and getting the same feeling as you- I'd rather have just eaten a ham and cheese omelet, or a burger, or a steak.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Try getting 1g of protein per pound of body weight without protein powder. It's not easy. Also, I lift weights and I believe that it's more effective to drink a rapidly absorbable form of protein within 30 mins of my workout.
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    Ok, so yesterday I caved to all of the talk of protein powders and bought some. Today I ate some for one of my meals and to be honest....it brought back all of the memories of why I didn't like it when I've used it before. It almost made me feel...depressed or something. It was weird. Mostly I just felt unfulfilled by the consumption of the calories. I like to cook and consider myself a good and creative cook.

My question is this - if I stick with lean proteins like chicken, fish, and egg whites....are they as good as these sophisticated powders for building muscle? FYI, I'm trying to consume about 250 gms of protein a day for the next few weeks.

Why do people use them?

Sorry if these seems dumb or uninformed, but I would appreciate knowledgeable feedback from people who are lean and muscular.

dude i will cut it short for you, protien is protien , u can eat it ( food ) or drink it ( shakes ) honestly if u prefer to eat it and cook just dont wast your money buying protien shake
    this is 100% true , do your body know the difference between protien from a shake or food?! absolutly not, just eat and dont waste your money
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    protein powders are good for you...just as food is. they are quick to make and you can take them anywhere. whey protein is fast digesting which means they get to your muscles faster. casin protein is a slow digesting protein that takes 8 hrs to digest. its a good protein to take before bed so your body doesn't break muscle down. eggs, soy, whey..and all protein powders have different absorbtion rates. whole foods take a while to break down..but if you can meet your needs for the amount of protein you need...then you're ok. casin protein is also nice if your out somewhere and you're not going to be eating in a while b/c it's broken down so slow that last for 8 hrs. it's very filling.

huh! that makes sense too, actually. I was going to add that real food keeps you full longer than whey as a plus in the real food column, but getting protein to your muscles right after you just spent a lot of time breaking them down also makes sense.
  • jeffsweightloss
    jeffsweightloss Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    also a bonus...you ca add protein powder to yogurt, oats, cereal...anything and any time you want the extra intake of protein. i work as a nurse in a busy GI clinic doing scopes...i don't get breaks and sometimes i don't get lunch. i can't go all day without something. i can't just whip up food in between case and i don't have time to run to the breakroom either.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have just eaten a ham and cheese omelet, or a burger, or a steak.

I would too IF I have the available calories and if I still need some fat to hit my daily macro target
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    and I believe that it's more effective to drink a rapidly absorbable form of protein within 30 mins of my workout.

not to derail this thread, but the idea of a 30 minute feeding window has been debunked and unless it is convenient to load up at that time, it isn't needed
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options

huh! that makes sense too, actually. I was going to add that real food keeps you full longer than whey as a plus in the real food column, but getting protein to your muscles right after you just spent a lot of time breaking them down also makes sense.

just a note on absorption, yes it is faster but your body has a 24 hour window to recover and usually what ever u eat is digested by time between 1-3 days so it wont really matter, i stick to usual food and shakes when i dont meet my macros or i cant cook, so dont over think it, just EAT and enjoy it :)
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    it should be treated as a supplement and not a meal source. It's good to tide you over post workout until you get to a real meal
  • lmdarr97
    lmdarr97 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been using them mainly as my snack to curb hungry or after a workout. Body Fortress is great tasting but it is sweetened with surculose (I just read this) so I just ordered the Biggest Loser Vanilla Bean powder because it is suppose to be one of the only protein powders sweetened with stevia (supposably a more natural source of sweetener).
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    As long as you're able to meet your protein intake needs through whole food sources, you don't need whey protein.

^ What he said. I'm going to be starting on Whey Protein because I'm having a lot of trouble getting my #s up there.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Why do people use them?

They're not sophisticated, they're convenient. I use them because I'm a poor student. Sometimes I'm stuck at university and don't have time to go home and cook before an assignment is due and can't afford buying something expensive on campus. It's really easy to keep a little container of powder on me, and it doesn't go bad like a chicken breast would. Not to mention I'm always looking for ways to sneak more protein into my diet, because my nails have been significantly longer since I've increased my intake. It's also important to increase calcium in your diet the more protein you eat, so whey also seemed like a great idea there.

Why do we need more calcium? And how much more?

I'm kind off shadey on the area but I figured I'd throw it out there. This is my logic, and I am by no means a professional, and I'd love to hear a counter argument. But protein seems to be related to the amount of calcium excreted in urine from every study I have ever read. The more protein intake, the more calcium gets excreted. There is a fair amount of fear mongers out there (including these forums) who say protein 'leeches calcium from the bones' (just google "protein leaches calcium from bones site:myfitnesspal.com"). Nowhere have I found those studies...I think this fear has something to do with these studies. Anyhow, there seems to be some argument on why we excrete more calcium and how much gets absorbed in the body the more protein we have. Phosphorous may be related? Till then I figured it's better safe then sorry since I'm a female and protein/calcium/phosphorus is suppose to be related to bone mineral density and a lot of other things and you know, eventually menopause well get me :tongue: Assuming the more calcium excreted the less is absorbed, better safe then sorry is my logic.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I rather eat my protein than drink it, but there are times that I'm not that hungry and still need to meet my protein requirement, so I'll chug it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MissRose888
    MissRose888 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think if you are hungry and it's a mealtime and you can incorporate protein, go for it. If not, I usually drink protein shakes (EAS brands) with lower calorie values, mixed with ice and/or fruit. That way I'm not sick of eating chicken and fish three times a day!
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat my protein if I can manage. I use brown rice protein powder because it's more natural. I try to only have one scoop after I workout for an immediate protein intake that's easy and portable and not filling. Some days I'll have a scoop if I'm low on protein. I still struggle to get the protein I want to get every day (130g). I think it's because I used to be dairy free and meat free so I sometimes still feel guilty just eating enormous amounts of meat and dairy to get the protein easily. But it's just so simple.. so much protein in meat and milk! Especially greek yogurt.. I've always eaten eggs so that's not an issue. Anyways I try to just focus on protein every meal and do ok in the end. I'm considering revamping my eating habits to a legit bodybuilder esque 5 meal a day protein filled meal plan so I may dive into more protein shakes. just my opinion :)
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey 2 years ago on a MEAL REPLACEMENT soy diet shake made by GNLD..it is not found in stores...but by using this one time per day, even tho they recommend 2, I have lost 37 lbs...still ate out several times a week, and did not restrict myself....and did not exercise, which I know I should....I did notice that when I had one that I could go 4-5 hours without getting hungry... I ate reasonable but if I wanted something I ate it....it tastes really good, obviously since I was able to use it every day without getting burned out with it..........

In the last year or so, tho, I have found out that issues I have had for 15 years, turned out to be gluten issues...so now I eat NUTRIENT DENSE as much as possible, and have added another soy shake per day to keep my nutrients up...but my calories down....
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Try getting 1g of protein per pound of body weight without protein powder. It's not easy. Also, I lift weights and I believe that it's more effective to drink a rapidly absorbable form of protein within 30 mins of my workout.
    I'm with this guy.. same reasons.