What was your biggest food addiction?

Options
I had a MAJOR addiction to arizona green tea. It was ALL that I would drink. Most days, I would easily drink a GALLON by myself. That was over 1,100 calories in just sugary drink I was taking in daily, and barely eating any actual food.

It has been three weeks, and I have had ONE glass of green tea. I replaced my 1,100 cal a day green tea addiction with MIO. I now drink almost a gallon of water a day, and I love it because each time I fill my cup, I get to choose what kind of drink I want - blueberry lemonade, sweet tea, fruit punch - without ANY calories. I feel as if I am getting a treat, drinking something that is sweet and tastes bad for you, but is a LOT better than what I was having.

What was your biggest food addiction? Did you completely get rid of it, limit it, or replace it with a healthier alternative?

Replies

• vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    The apple crumb metrx meal replacement bars. I ate about 3 of these a day, and I got rid of it completely (they're a little pricey)
  • brittshea9
    brittshea9 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a chocoholic. As a kid, I was allergic to chocolate but eventually outgrew it so I think that as an adult, I've tried to make up for it haha. I'm partial to dark chocolate, so now I try to get my fix with the Silk Dark Chocolate almond milk and occasionally a couple of squares from dark Hershey's bars.
  • CherokeeTopaz
    CherokeeTopaz Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    hehehe chocolate and dr pepper. :p
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty addicted to all food. Without it, I get pretty bad withdrawals :/
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    super sweet tea and coffee. I've significantly reduced my sugar usage in them both, but will probably never be able to drink black coffee and only know a few teas i an stand without it.
  • buffykaz
    buffykaz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Potato chips (crisps) - salty crunchy and cheesy potato chips.
    I still manage to fit them in my diet every now and then, but now I have a tiny snack pack instead of a huge bag. But geez I miss them :-(
  • triff14
    triff14 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Cheese. Definitely cheese....I love it so much...cheese curds and cheese blocks and string cheese....
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Wheat Thins. I can't stop, and will eat a whole box in one sitting. I don't buy them anymore. It's pretty much the only food that I have zero control over - and can't even "treat" myself to, hahaha.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    bread.....especially chibata bread...but seriously...any freaking bread. However, I'm happy to report I was only 2% over on my calories from carbs pie chart this past week! ;-)
  • joseykoehn
    Options
    Chocolate, Cheese, Pickles.. I guess I just eat less chocolate!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Pasta. Just had 1/2 cup the other nite for the first time since June and was satisfied. No cravings for more or for other carby stuff.:bigsmile:
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    This depends on which time of my life you are talking about. I learned that I'm an emotional eater and when my emotions are getting the best of me, and I'm not eating well to begin with, as well as not exercising regularly, my body will either crave sweet/greasy (donuts, cookies, candy, etc.) or fried/salty (fries, potato chips, McNuggets), and I didn't feel satiated until I was full to feeling bloated and sick.

Now, I've been exercising 6 days a week for well over half a year consistently, eating much, much better, and when my emotions get out of control, I no longer have cravings. Those are now driven by my hormones on a cyclical basis, and not every cycle hands me those issues. (hooray!)

This was a good question and topic. It's interesting to see what everyone feels is a food or drink that's not so great for them and how they handled it.
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Doritos.. costco sized bag in 4 days by myself once..now I don't touch em..
  • ourglass
    Options
    Chipotle's double meat burritos D:
  • minionofevil
    minionofevil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    TinaBaily - My exact thought - seeing how everyone else handled theirs.

Some days, watching hubby drink it, I feel left out, but I remind myself that I need those 1100 cals in real food for nutrition for my son, and i have been doing really well IMO resisting. On our way to a family xmas party, I bought a 16oz can, and i drank less than half. I actually find some days I have a hard time eating 1800-1850 cals (which is my personal goal, a general minimum guide for breastfeeding), sometimes I have to eat 4-5 meals just to get the cals in bc I am a vegetarian, and I snack on fruits and veggies a lot, which are pretty low cal. I actually have gotten some higher cal and higher nutrition snacks to fill in the gaps - granola, kefir, yogurt, nuts, so that I can eat 3 meals and some of those (such as , i made a kefir smoothie and had granola) to get enough cals in. If I eat my cals, then I look at my log and go "well, i planned out my meals and snacks, and there are no cals left over for soda or green tea, so i can't have any."

I pre-log my meals / snacks for the day first thing in the morning, and it has totally kept me from eating junk.
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    any kind of salt and vinegar chip. I love Kettle Brand and Utz. still addicted to them when I have them (half bag= lunch, rest of the bag=dinner) but they're an every-so-often treat now
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    Baskin Robbins butter pecan ice cream with rainbow sprinkles! I refuse to walk in their because frozen yogurt just won't cut it for this girl :) Ben and Jerry's chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream too!
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    There are so many: chips, cookies, chocolate (I love chocolate), Dr Pepper, bread and cheese. These foods are my fixes and I couldn't do w/o them. I could eat a big bag of chips and cookies in one sitting. I'm not binging on these things nearly as often as I used to.

I have replaced Dr Pepper with hot/iced tea which is better for me and much lower in sodium and sugar. I drink my tea w/o sugar. I still drink my dr pepper, but not that often. When I get chips & cookies, I try to get them in small 8 oz baggies so I won't go overboard. I will never give up my chocolate!
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Tex-mex food...fajitas, enchiladas, burritos, chimichangas, chile rellenos, chalupas, gorditas, taquitos, rice, beans, guacamole, salsa, corn tortillas, flour tortillas, nachos...quesadillas...and anything else I can cook outside on the BBQ grill.
  • MizAngie
    MizAngie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Safeway cinnamon buns---love hate relationship...love the buns but hate what it does to my buns