Zumba----calories burned ??

Options
RIght now I don't have anything to tell me how many calories I've burned during my 50 minute Zumba class. Any idea what it could typically be? I can't find anything in the workout tracker.

Thanks!

Replies

• RemDogzMa
    RemDogzMa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would love to know as well! I am starting Zumba classes this week.
  • lisitabonita
    lisitabonita Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I was logging it under Aerobic, High intensity. If you give it your all and you feel that it was a strong workout, then that is what I would suggest. Aerobic low impact if you just bob along. I am an instructor, and I know that the intensity of Zumba depends on your effort. There is a site called zumba calories but I think the only true way to judge it is with a HRM. The aerobic, high impact was just about what my HRM tells me. Good luck and keep dancing!!
  • LatinaPuppyLover
    Options
    I use a HRM and I usually burn from 500-700 calories an hr.. seriously! I will be back to my zumba classes tomorrow after 4 months!
  • PrimaveraEterna007
    Options
    Does anyone play Zumba in their Xbox? With others online?...
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I checked another site to log mine and they have Zumba at about 700 calories per hour and step aerobics at about 850. I do random classes at the gym just for fun sometimes too. lol.
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and I usually burn from 500-700 calories an hr.. seriously! I will be back to my zumba classes tomorrow after 4 months!

^^ THIS. I usually burn btwn 500-700 in an hour too. I used my HRM with chest strap.
  • ellouise1108
    ellouise1108 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I googled a zumba calculator online and it always says around 600-700.
  • jennday1
    jennday1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I used this calculator before Christmas: http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/
    Then got a bodymedia device that I wear when I work out. It is fairly consistent with the calculator. Over break I did a 50 minute session via youtube and it said I burned 600 calories.
  • the_new_robin2016
    the_new_robin2016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    varies from everyone. and how intense you went. Best bet is to get a HRM with chest strap. and then you know for sure. But i would say for certain you burned around 500. Maybe you burned more. But if you say you burned 600-700 and really you burned a lot less than that, then you will be over in calories. You can usually burn 10 calories a min if you put your hardest in and go full throttle the full time.
  • 1fitmimi
    1fitmimi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    How many calories you burn per a 50 minute class will have so many variances, it is hard to really say. I am a licensed ZUMBA instructor, I teach ZUMBA gold, ZUMBA and ZUMBA toning. I have worn the wrist HRM and found that I can bun nearly 1000 calories in an hour long class, but then again I'm jumping around, shouting, joking kidding and going all over the room. I feel some of my students probably burn 400 while others are in the 800 - 900 range. It all depends on what you put into it and how intensive the songs are during that 50 minutes.

To be safe I would log as a 500 or 600 calorie workout and know in your mind that it could be more but no harm in recording less right?
  • msgunder
    msgunder Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I did go with the high intense aerobic # that MFP gave which was 500. Until I can get a HRM that's what I code it as.