Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Working overnights! Help!

So, I am just starting a new job as a nurse in an overnight position (1030 pm-7 am). I am working a total of 8 shifts/2 weeks. Here's my concerns. I am doing Beachbody videos at home as my main exercise (so yes, this can be done at any time). I am not sure how this is going to play into my eating habits when I am sleeping sometimes during the day, then will be on a regular schedule, etc. Does anyone work an overnight shift or have a suggestion about when I should workout, when I should eat (I don't think I'm going to want a big meal at 3 AM!). I am really concerned this might hinder my weight loss :/ Thanks!!!

Replies

• c8lynn26
    c8lynn26 Posts: 2 Member
    You know I've never worked overnights, but I would suggest doing it right when you get home from work. No one will be home. :) Or, maybe do it right before you have to pick Brea up. That way you can come home, sleep a bit, get up and have some "breakfast" and workout before starting the rest of your night with the family.
  • sceasterwood
    sceasterwood Posts: 1 Member
    I worked on teh night shift at UPS for three years not too long ago (now am on an evening shift). The first thing you need to do is find what works for you, and be diligent. There were sometimes I could get my sweat on before work, and sometimes I was so wired when I got home, I would do it then. The toughest part about workign nights is getting yuor body adjusted. You need to be diligent about your sleep, otherwise weight loss won't happen. No matter what your work hours, weigth loss doesn't happen unless you sleep well. Start working on that, and making sure you are getting a good burn on for your training sessions. After that, it should all fall into place.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Work out before work, or go straight to the gym after work... graveyard shift was devastaing to me, personally.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I usually workout before work but know people who like to workout after. Doesn't work for me. Figure out what works for you.

As for eating, I tend to eat a larger meal earlier in the night, like when I wake up. Then snacks and lighter meals as the night goes on. Again, figure what works for you.

I also choose to log all of my food on the same day. If my shift starts on Wednesday, I log all my food I eat in Wednesday and Thursday morning until I go to sleep. When I wake up on Thursday, I start logged food as that day. Some days I end up over on one but under on the next. It all evens out.
    Again, whatever works for you.