Vegan?

Options
I just recently became vegan for all sorts of good reasons :) and I was really hoping to find someone that is also.
I just wanted to get a couple of tips on getting my calcium and iron in everyday... Any thoughts?

Also, any simple meals you would have in mind?
Any meals that would be quick to take or make at work?

I'm also juicing in the morning everyday, any yummy green recipes you would suggest?

I've been doing things with tofu, like tofu tacos and even spaghetti which I thought was pretty yummy.
But I also don't know what to buy as far as imitation butter? And cheese?

Help.
Thanks ;)

Replies

• craftybirdy
    Options
    There are a couple of really good vegan groups here that can give you all the help and support you need. I've been vegan for about 3 months and love it. I also juice in the mornings. I'll send you a friend request!
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Yup^
    I suggest the Post Punk Kitchen blog for great recipes and her books (my favorite is the veganomicon)

Here is my usual shopping list. Forgive me I am just pasting this from another post I recently responded to but I feel like it is applicable here:

Nuts: things like sesame seeds and sunflower seeds
    legumes: this would be things like kidney beans and garbanzo beans
    soy products: this includes tofu and soy products like soy based veggie burgers. Edamame is simply soy beans (soy before they are processed)
    seitan: wheat gluten that acts as meat substitute (you can make your own by separating the gluten from whole wheat flour, buy the gluten already separated, or just buy it already made)
    quinoa: this is generally lumped with other pseudo-grains like amaranth and buckwheat. It is usually used like rice and has a good deal of protein
    nutritional yeast: used in "cheese" sauces and also contains a bunch of Bs
    mushrooms: contains good protein used as a meat substitute
    braggs liquid aminos: this is like soy sauce but it has the amino combo for protein. It is also great on popcorn
    hemp hearts: high in protein
    flax oil: has omegas suitable for vegetarians
    wheat germ: and cream of wheat: high iron content
    avocados: I'm assuming you know what these are
    sprouts: you can sprout any of your edible grains (alfalfa is easy to sprout at home)
    seaweed: these have trace minerals. I like to roll my sushi (nori) with avocado mmmm. And as for the hijiki I just toss a little in my soup
    better than bouillon no chicken base: this is just a really tasty bouillon
    udon noodles/pasta: various noodles
    veganaise: the vegan version of mayonnaise and oh so much tastier
    kombucha: a fermented probiotic drink
    Earth Balance: vegan butter
  • KrazySexyKB
    KrazySexyKB Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats on becoming Vegan! I made the switch a few years ago, and I love it. I feel amazing when I eat whole foods and a vegan diet.
    I bought a magic bullet a few months ago and love using it for quick breakfasts or dinners. I've been mixing spinach and berries with a small scoop of vegan protein powder and water for quick meals. Love them!
  • Jesslynroe
    Jesslynroe Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thank you. This looks like a good grocery list! I love going to the farmers market also, they always have stands over there and get lucky with the raw juice that they sell that can replace my lunch or something sometimes.
    I'm excited to check out this vegan restaurant tonight, there are about 9 of them where I live, so it makes things a little easier when my fiancé and I wanna treat ourselves to a night out. I was mostly concerned about getting vegan cheese and butter, found an immatation pepperoni that tasted yummy. My fiancé said that he can probebly switch to being vegetarian, no problem, but vegan, he doesn't know... Kinda wanna prove to him that it really isn't that difficult or more steps to take to become vegan! :bigsmile:
    Plus it really makes it easier to cook meals for the both of us! :happy:
  • MJannelle
    Options
    Here's much vegan lunch today:

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1093

I took out the butter and sweetener so mine was 151 calories!

And here's what I'm having for dinner tonight:

http://organicgardensnetwork.blogspot.ca/2012/02/hearty-lentil-mushroom-shepherds-pie.html

Again I modified the recipe so mines about 270 calories per serving.

:)