Does balance between protein, carbs and fat matter?

Options
I've been staying close to and usually under my goal calories, but I seem to eat more than the recommended amount of protein and less than the recommended amount of carbohydrates (which is kind of surprising to me, but that's what the numbers show fairly consistently). Would this potentially have an effect on my weight loss in one direction or the other?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Strictly in terms of weight loss - no. In terms of body composition, dietary adherence, hormonal function, etc. - yes.

Read this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Actually, higher than MFP recommends in protein, and lower than the recommended carbs here is a Good Thing.

Think of the protein as a minimum goal and the carbs as a max. This site uses the U.S. FDA recommended numbers, but more protein isn't a bad thing.

A lot of people here use 40% Carbs as an alternate setting (30/30 fats and protein).
  • deborahripoli
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. I was reading about different body types and my body type should have less protein and more carbs to regulate my glucose levels more. The funny thing is, I tend to eat more of the carbs then protein. Your body may burn some foods easier then others. Protein is good for muscle building so it is good. Just be careful that you do not consume way over the protein that it states because you can become very ill. what foods you eat is important for many different reasons. Just continue to count those calories and do some form of exercise and you will lose. I do hill walking and I do not take away candy from my diet, I just make sure I count the calories. You will do fine.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    In general, it's important to have a good mix of all three. If you are over on protein and under on carbs, that's actually great because it will help you retain more muscle and will keep you feeling fuller on fewer calories.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    In general, it's important to have a good mix of all three. If you are over on protein and under on carbs, that's actually great because it will help you retain more muscle and will keep you feeling fuller on fewer calories.

^^^^This. And you're lucky to have that "dilemma." I'm the opposite--carbs come too easily for me and I have to really work to get my daily protein. I say keep doing what you're doing.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. I was reading about different body types and my body type should have less protein and more carbs to regulate my glucose levels more. The funny thing is, I tend to eat more of the carbs then protein. Your body may burn some foods easier then others. Protein is good for muscle building so it is good. Just be careful that you do not consume way over the protein that it states because you can become very ill. what foods you eat is important for many different reasons. Just continue to count those calories and do some form of exercise and you will lose. I do hill walking and I do not take away candy from my diet, I just make sure I count the calories. You will do fine.

The amount of protein it would take to get ill is so much that I don't think she would be able to consume that much food. And she definitely couldn't do it on a reduced calorie plan - so, nothing to worry about.
  • haniay
    haniay Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, everyone! Yeah, it's nothing extreme so I definitely don't think my overall health is at issue, but it caught my attention so I was curious. It doesn't sound like a change is necessary now, but this is all really good information to have.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Yes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown it takes more effort to digest foods that are either high protein or high fiber.
    This may also leave you feeling satisfied longer.
    If you can eat legumes, they are high in both protein and fiber, along with many other nutrients.
    If you don't cook them often bc of cooking time, consider using/getting a pressure cooker.
    Takes just 20 mins to make previously dry beans. Or try lentils or split peas. They cook much faster
    than beans and don't require soaking. Cook them with your wild or brown rice, and it's all done
    at the same time.

hope that helps, way to go so far :)
    I too have a harder time getting in my protein.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    people are saying protein is great but if you don't exercise then most of it will just turn to fat. Not as quickly as just eating fat, of course, but it'll happen with no exercise over time.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The amount of protein it takes to make you ill actually depends on a variety of factors, example: I have only one kidney so the amount of protein it takes to make me ill is a lot less than most.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    people are saying protein is great but if you don't exercise then most of it will just turn to fat. Not as quickly as just eating fat, of course, but it'll happen with no exercise over time.
    Nnnno.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Nnnno.

lol, this is definitely not true. too much protein in caloric surplus will turn to fat, lots of protein in caloric deficit will not result in extra fat.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Errr, only if you eat excessive serving sizes of protein and excess overall calories, certainly not most of it. Protein is used in repair and regeneration of every cell in the body, not just in muscle cells or those who strength train. Converting protein to fat is highly inefficient, it's first to carbs which can be burned off as energy if needed, and then on to fat. By inefficient I mean a good percentage of calories are just wasted in the conversions. Many of us here advocate little and often with protein, not a huge serving confined to the evening meal as is standard in the west.