Question for fellow teachers (or anyone else)

Options
How do you make it through the day without feeling like you are starving? I teach 7 different classes and my day starts by leaving my house between 6 and 6:15 am. Lunch is from 11:15-11:45am and then I have my prep period from 1:25-2:20pm. School is dismissed at 3:15 and I finally get back home between 5 and 6pm. I try not to eat my breakfast until around 7:15 while I am driving in hopes of feeling full longer. I can't eat small snacks between classes since as soon as one class is out the door, I have students coming in for my next class. Any suggestions for breakfast or lunch would be great. I hate to say it but I do not eat veggies. I have tried numerous times over the years to eat them and I cannot eat veggies without my gag reflexes kicking in.

Replies

• sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    What about protein bars? you can open a pack and sneak a bite here and there in throughout the day. :glasses:
  • jennylee813
    jennylee813 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do you have a recess break? I always eat recess, and if I were you, I'd eat something on my prep too.

My desk is stocked with granola bars and fruit typically.
  • cmreynolds98
    cmreynolds98 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    No recess break and we have to stand outside our classroom doors to monitor the hallway between classes. I teach 7th -12th grade students. If it wasn't for having to monitor the hallway between classes, I might could get a quick bite then but as it stand now, there is not much of a way around not being able to eat until lunch or prep.
  • jlin33
    jlin33 Posts: 1
    Options
    I hear you, I constantly have students in my classroom and often have to supervise during lunch as well making it hard to stay healthy throughout the day. I recently started drinking a meal replacement shake that is is pretty good and keeps my blood sugar up through the day. You want to look for a high protien/low sugar one. I've tried advo care and now I'm using a chocolate one with Whey Protien, i think this brand is Metrigenics Ultrameal? I mix it with unsweetend almond milk and it's pretty good and easy to sip on throughout the day in my little thermos. It helps so I don't drive through the nearest fast food place on my way home. The only issue that I can't help you with is bathroom breaks! Oh the joys of being a teacher! Good luck! :happy:
  • Marieevans813
    Marieevans813 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher as well. I eat protein bars, almonds, greek yogurt with flax seed. Flax seed absorbs water and becomes 8 times its size once ingested. It makes you feel full longer.
  • lizwashtakhayes
    Options
    I keep a mix of slivered nut (almonds, walnuts) and dried fruit in my desk. When I have to monitor the hallway I grab a handful and toss it in my mouth before going out, chewing it while I'm standing and monitoring. It helps to cut on that empty stomach feeling.
  • robichta
    robichta Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My recommendation as to what to eat would be to try and stay away from simple carbs (breads, crackers, sugar, etc.) because you body processes those faster. Try eating things such as eggs, nuts and seeds, meats,beans (I love edamame) fruits with lots of fiber (ex an apple with peanutbutter), cottage cheese, greek yogurt, etc.

Adding veggies would really be a big help though. I greatly urge you to keep trying vegetables(raw, cooked, different kinds, multiple time each way eventually you will be able to eat some of them.) Have you tried squash (acorn, spaghetti, butternut) often when they are cooked they take on more of a potato or pasta texture.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I find that proteins and fats are the best for satiety. What do you usually have for breakfast and lunch?
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Eat a very filling breakfast and follow that other suggestions given
  • s07civic
    s07civic Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    No recess break and we have to stand outside our classroom doors to monitor the hallway between classes. I teach 7th -12th grade students. If it wasn't for having to monitor the hallway between classes, I might could get a quick bite then but as it stand now, there is not much of a way around not being able to eat until lunch or prep.
    What if you eat fruit (apple, banana) WHILE monitoring the halls? As a role model to the students, you would also be demonstrating healthy eating! :-)

Have you tried discussing with your supervisor or colleagues? What do they typically do?
  • frogprincess05
    frogprincess05 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher, too. I have found that high fiber breakfasts and high protein lunches keep me satisfied without a stomach that feels like it's going to eat itself. I also pack a morning snack because it's four hours from when the students walk in until lunch. I pack something easy to eat, like already chopped fruit, nuts, etc. and I eat in front of the kids. I let them eat in class, too, so they don't mind. I also have rules about acceptable snacks, no chips, pop, candy, etc. I also pack an afternoon snack for after school. AND I bring two liters of water to drink throughout the day. Sometimes I can't get to my morning snack, so downing the water helps keep me from feeling overly famished. And, as a teacher, I have learned amazing bladder control! HTH
  • apocosi
    apocosi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I too have a jar with walnuts/almonds and grab a bit to chew during passing. Afterschool snack is what I struggke with. I aleats am so hungry I want a meal not a snack. Not sure if that is emotional eating (stress) or actual hunger.
  • JaniseNikolic
    JaniseNikolic Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher, too. I have found that high fiber breakfasts and high protein lunches keep me satisfied without a stomach that feels like it's going to eat itself. I also pack a morning snack because it's four hours from when the students walk in until lunch. I pack something easy to eat, like already chopped fruit, nuts, etc. and I eat in front of the kids. I let them eat in class, too, so they don't mind. I also have rules about acceptable snacks, no chips, pop, candy, etc. I also pack an afternoon snack for after school. AND I bring two liters of water to drink throughout the day. Sometimes I can't get to my morning snack, so downing the water helps keep me from feeling overly famished. And, as a teacher, I have learned amazing bladder control! HTH

I agree with this one. I let the kids eat in my class too. It usually requires a little effort on keeping things clean but it is the only way I get through the day. I also have a little fridge that I picked up on sale for 75 dollars in my classroom so I can keep food fresh. I have greek yogurt with flax and a little granola mixed in half way through the morning and a 100 calorie pack of almonds in the afternoon. If you have any hassles from your admin, tell you are hypoglycemic or diabetic and need to eat on a regular schedule! And yup, teachers MUST have amazing bladder control!!!