treadmill vs outside running

Options
How different is treadmill running compared to outdoor running?

I am planning on running a 7.5km race in may and I can currently run 5km (with some inclines) on a treadmill, so was just wondering if training on a treadmill would get me there? Once the weather gets abit better then I plan on going outside, but for now I prefer being nice and warm inside.

Thanks!

Replies

• Mattf450
    Mattf450 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    On a running machine is easier on the joints. It is important to use inclines though as this compensates for such factors as different terrains and wind conditions.
  • aliparry
    aliparry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Treadmill running is very different and as mentioned you should always run on an incline to accommodate for lack of wind resistance. The other reason to run with an incline is that a treadmill running isn't the same natural style as running outdoors, the belt is moving and so pushes your legs back rather than doing it yourself.

I think there is also something different about the mindset, on a treadmill you don't really have to think about anything other than running whereas this just isn't the case in the great outdoors. There's terrain, weather, hazards etc it really doesn't feel the same. You will get there but it will feel very different when you are running outside.. even if you can manage one run a week outside you'll notice the difference..

Hope that helps!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    The Sunday Telegraph had a supplement about getting fit yeterday which said you lose less weight if you run inside due to your "oxygen debt" (I think) being 36% lower. But I'd rather run inside and avoid slipping on frozen dog mess!
  • Natashadb
    Options
    Thanks!

At the moment it is too dark and cold for me outside. But come Spring I will definitely start running outside.