breakfast shock!!

Options
2»

Replies

• lilylux
    lilylux Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Just wondering....when you eat your 'normal' portion of oatmeal are you then hungry at lunch time or would some fruits and/or veggies suffice? Unprocessed oatmeal is healthy and has tons of fiber and good portion of protein, too. If it keeps you full and you eat less later in the day, is it really a 'bad' meal?

Agreed - I found once I had more to eat at breakfast time I would be more satisfied during the day.

However, I made this for breakfast this morning and although it looked small, it was very filling!! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/02/01/peanut-butter-breakfast-pudding/
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/pb-breakfast-pudding-nutrition-facts/

According to her recipe it was 330 cal - we don't have almond milk here in NZ so I used soy and my PB was obviously higher in cal's as it all came to 385 cal for me. Still decent and it kept me going for hours.
  • spongebex
    spongebex Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When I first started weighing out my porridge (oatmeal) I was shocked too and I also thought 40g was never going to fill me up but I quickly became used to it! And I had mine at 9am and can still feel it in my tum if that makes sense. I s'pose a motivation of mine was to reduce how much I eat so the idea of getting used to smaller portions is a good thing and helped me stick with it. You could always try having a cup of tea with it at the same time to help. Let us know how you get on but it is good to mix up breakfasts i.e. have eggs one morning (when you have the time) etc. it will stop us getting bored.
  • xxxemaxxx
    xxxemaxxx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I used to eat porridge for breakfast when i was much bigger but stopped when i hit the gym as i couldn't workout on an overloaded stomach. Im eating super healthy now and started again with the porridge which i love but when i weighed out the recommended 40g portion it wouldn't feed a toddler!! So i measured out a decent portion (half rolled oats/ half raw oats) and it came to about 110g. Actually i weighed out first and it came to 200g and i felt greedy so put half back. I make mine with mostly water, very thick porridge and add 10g sunflower seeds and small teaspoon of honey. Very healthy right? BUT when i checked the calories the count came to 556!!! its not a massive portion so i was pretty horrified, thats a third of my calories gone for today and it was only 8am. Its kind of shocking that i could've eaten a cooked breakfast for a lot less calories! :ohwell:

I know exactly what you mean. i never used to weigh porridge/breakfast cereals and just gave myself a decent amount (i never thought it seemed too much), and when i decided to weigh it, it was about 150g. so i then cut it to 40g and there were about 3 mouthfuls. It was disheartening as i know after that i'll still be hungry :( Any advice for any other filling breakfasts?
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I eat Bobs GF Traditional oats nearly every morning and I use 1/2 cup of oats and cook on the hob storing for about 5 minutes.

It fills me up fine. There is no way I could eat 200g of dry porridge oats. Surely that is well over 1.5 cups? :-/
  • like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I used to eat porridge for breakfast when i was much bigger but stopped when i hit the gym as i couldn't workout on an overloaded stomach.

I think the first sentence says a lot. It's hard getting used to smaller portions (try cutting it down to 50g at first, especially as you make it with water) but you will get used to it. It might not make you feel THAT full but it should stop you from feeling hungry. There is no reason breakfast should make you feel so 'overloadad' that you cannot work out, that feeling is a sign you need to cut portion sizes down a bit so you feel satiated, not stuffed. Don't worry, you'll get used to it. You could try adding a little bit of fruit to your morning routine to help stave of hunger.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have unrolled oasts too- to be honest 40g is a big enough portion size in my opinion and I'm very fat with a huge appetite. 40g oats, a scoop of protein powder and some coconut milk is about 270 calories and keeps me nice and full till llunchtime.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I like to make baked oatmeal and mix my serving of oats with 3-4 egg whites before cooking. It sets up into a big, filling, fluffy souflee and then I top it with whatever else I feel like; 1 tbs nut butter, chocolate chips, berries, etc. It's my pre-workout meal and usually comes in around 250-280 calories depending on what I top it with.
  • shellux
    shellux Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Lidl do some great porridge oats and they only cost about 50p for a bag

I have 50g with water and a small spoon of Canderel.

186 cals for the oats which I think is great.