Meatless Mondays

Options
I am trying to make meatless meals once or twice a week....anyone have any favorites that are family friendly??

Replies

• No fish either? You could substitute your meats with Quinoa - low in GI and tasty. Can put them in soups?

My personal favourite is minestrone soup - its a great way to hide veggies for the kids and make them fun with little macaroni or soup pasta.

You can also make baked mushrooms with feta cheese
  • thethinwhiteduke
    Options
    take any meal that you think would work without meat and replace with mushrooms :)
  • beckarini
    beckarini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I like to make 'chilli' with chopped mushrooms and crushed cannellini beans in place of mince. Canneloni stuffed full of veggies is a great one too!!!
    I make avocado pesto for the kids i babysit and they love it!
  • kayleepie
    kayleepie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love pureed vegetable soups, vegetable pizza made with a wrap as a base, tacos using kidney beans and lots of salad and potato salad (minus the bacon).
  • wetsel23
    wetsel23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Had this for dinner tonight... Amazing, Kids loved it!!

iHungry Spaghetti Tacos

PER SERVING (1/6th of recipe, 2 tacos): 310 calories, 7.5g fat, 728mg sodium, 41.5g carbs, 6.5g fiber, 4.5g sugars, 22g protein -- PointsPlus® value 8*

Prep:10 minutes/ Cook: 15 minutes

Ingredients

4 oz. uncooked whole-wheat spaghetti
    2 cups frozen ground-beef-style soy crumbles (like the kind by Boca or Morningstar Farms)
    2 cups rotel
    1/2 tbsp. taco seasoning mix
    12 whole grain taco shells (hard ones)
    1 1/2 cups shredded fat-free cheddar cheese or fat free mozzarella
    2/3 cup chopped onion
    1 cup shredded lettuce

Directions

Break pasta in half and prepare per package instructions.

Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove. Add soy crumbles, crushed tomatoes, and taco seasoning, and mix well. Cook and stir until hot, 2 - 4 minutes.

Drain pasta and add to the skillet. Mix well. Evenly distribute pasta mixture among the taco shells, about 1/3 cup per shell. Evenly top each taco with cheese, onion, and lettuce. Tada!

MAKES 6 SERVINGS
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Get tofu sausages instead of normal ones, and make whatever you'd normally make that features sausages. I expect Redwood foods make them in the US. In the UK cauldron do good ones.
  • archgrrrl
    Options
    I follow this food blogger who does a "Meatless Monday" series with lots of delicious ideas and recipes:

www.ezrapoundcake.com
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820326-baked-potato-soup-crock-pot

Tried this one a couple days ago. It's super filling and even my dad (picky eater) loved it. it does say to add bacon at the end but it's good without too.
  • aleyjewell
    aleyjewell Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I plan to try this recipe this week!! Sounds amazing!!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/spicy-black-bean-burgers-with-chipotle.html
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    The Brand Yves has veggie ground that comes in 4 flavors. Mexian, Asian, Italian, and Original. It's an amzaing substitute in Spaghetti, Chili, or any pasta. It's awseome, cuz you can flavor it to your liking and it has the same consistency and it even has that grissely feeling to it when you bite it. Alot of people like Tempeh, but i have yet to try it. Think i may try a curry with it!!! We don't realize just how many great meatless options are out there!
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you like mushrooms, portabello mushroom burgers are awesome!!! With havarti, roasted peppers, and an ailoi. Soooo good!
  • katdell
    katdell Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Me and my partner are big meat lovers but we tried this a while ago and we both love it!! Its like a veggie curry very tasty indeed and we have just eaten it!!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1364/spicy-root-and-lentil-casserole

378 kcalories, protein 14g, carbohydrate 64g, fat 9 g, saturated fat 1g, fibre 10g, salt 1.24 g

Enjoy :)
  • swagner73
    swagner73 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love black bean chili. I came up with the recipe myself & I'm sure there are some way better ones out there.

I don't measure anything -- throw in a couple of cans of black beans, rotel with green chiles, corn, cumin, black pepper, red onions. Cook until hot. Serve with tortillas or jiffy corn bread muffins.

Also do black bean tacos. Use regular taco filling with the exception of black beans in place of beef. My family LOVES these -- even "meat & taters ONLY" hubby.
  • Melissa132129
    Melissa132129 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I like to make 'chilli' with chopped mushrooms and crushed cannellini beans in place of mince. Canneloni stuffed full of veggies is a great one too!!!
    I make avocado pesto for the kids i babysit and they love it!

The avocado pesto sounds yummy! Can you share a recipe?

I'm vegetarian and my family isn't so alot of dinners that I made for them I eat just without meat.
    Taco's - With black or pinto beans seasoned with cumin and chili powder instead of meat
    Chili - With tons of beans and veggies instead of meat
    Spaghetti - With a veggie spaghetti sauce with no meat
    Hamburgers - With a black bean pattie instead of meat
    Stir fry - Veggie stir fry instead of any meat

You can make a veggie pizza, veggie wrap, beans and rice
  • jedaschultz
    jedaschultz Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I like to eat a salad with feta cheese, black olives, grape tomatoes and Italian dressing.
  • lovethecold
    Options
    Tonight we are having tempeh bacon lettuce wraps with homemade tomato soup. Meatless Monday!

http://www.veganpeace.com/recipe_pages/recipes/TempehBacon.htm

I leave the tempeh to marinate all day, and then cook it up when I get home. Hubs uses sandwich bread, but I use either a lettuce to make a wrap, or the 100 calorie hamburger buns with some sliced tomato for a "BLT"
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i do not eat a lot of meat but my hubby just can't go completly meatless. so i will make a normal dinner and just not eat the meat and it still taste good. so you could try something your family likes and just leave the meat out (rice and pasta dishes work good for this exspecially if the meat is chopped up and added to it just forget to add the meat next time :)
  • pksd
    pksd Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love veggie wraps with tofurky deli slices...along with some ceamy tomatoe soup from Trader Joes :)
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Asian noodle soup.

1 cup each diced celery, carrots, and onion.
    1 package firm tofu diced.
    1 package udon noodles or other fresh asian noodles.
    1 package vegetable broth.
    1 cup frozen peas.
    0.5 tsp chinese 5 spice.
    2 tbsp hoisin sauce
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    lime or lemon juice.
    1 tbsp oil
    Salt and pepper to taste.

Sautee carrots, celery, and onion. Add broth, and simmer veggies till tender. During last 5 min of cooking add noodles and frozen peas. Add a little lime or lemon juice for a little bit of tang. Sometimes I add some more broth or water if the soup is too thick.