Do you burn more calories when you're stressed?

Options
I'm not sure, but it seems when I'm stressed I must burn more calories. I know my heart rate increases when I'm frustrated, angry or way too busy. I also sweat just sitting still when I'm stressed. Logic tells me that you must burn more calories when your body is in that heightened state. Could it be that stress is good for something other than wanting to pull out your hair and bang your head against the desk??? :angry: :mad: :explode:

Replies

• imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I've always been under the impression that stress can halt weight loss.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I second what gymrat said. It can actually cause you to hold on to fat. Stress isn't good for you. Just because your heart rate is higher, doesn't mean the cause is good.
  • empiremom
    empiremom Posts: 52
    Options
    no it isnt good for losing...in fact it's opposite.

it signals your body to go in emergency mode--adrenals, etc.-- which decreases the body's fat burning mechanism.
  • HalloweenMom
    Options
    OMG! I would LOOOOVE for stress to help me lose weight, imagine? I'd be a walking stick figure by now :d
  • remolding
    remolding Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you watch the biggest loser, the trainers are always saying that stress Halts weight loss. So try to de-stress if possible.
  • betzyrama
    betzyrama Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Stress is not good for you in any way. Here's something to read about cortisol, which is the "stress hormone."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol

Scary stuff!!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Some people when under stress, tend to eat less, so they loose weight, and would appear its the stress thats making them loose, but its just that they arent eating as often, its just that they aren't eating enough, because they have no appetite, because the stress has taken them over compeltely.

Some people gain wait, because when stressed they eat more...

Each person is different.

Then again some people may eat regular, and still loose weight because of stress...but not sure how healthy that is
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    Stress is not good for you in any way. Here's something to read about cortisol, which is the "stress hormone."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol

Scary stuff!!

I was just going to mention cortisol. Its messed me right up recently over stressing my body so dont get stressed for weight loss!
  • SnuggleBunny
    Options
    Last time I moved I was super stressed. I ended up losing 5 pounds in 3 days. But I attribute that to not eating for 3 of those days and doing heavy back breaking do-it-yourself moving. :ohwell:
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    OMG! I would LOOOOVE for stress to help me lose weight, imagine? I'd be a walking stick figure by now :d

same here!! It's final exam week