lowered my calories but gained weight!!! help

Options
so i lowered my calories from 2000 to 1800 (higher as i still breastfeed) anyways iv gained and im guttered!! im not so on to it with mfp so my big question is if im under my goal but my carbs and sugar is over than does this effect weight loss and cause weight gain ? thanks in advance

Replies

• BossReyes
    BossReyes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    How much exactly did you gain?
    Are you precise with your calories?

If so, it's just water weight. Pay attention to your sodium intake, probably water retention.
  • alanahbastion
    Options
    my sodium is always over,didnt think much it,thanks :)
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    don't weigh yourself too often. remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint. Absolutely no more than once a week, once every two if you handle that. Your weight fluctuates on a daily basis. Remember to look at trends, not individual numbers.
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have to really keep an eye on my sodium intake. I can't go within 400 of my daily limit otherwise I'll "gain".
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

It your sodium is always over, and so you haven't had extra sodium, then it's not water retention form the sodium, otherwise you would be constantly gaining water weight.

The additional water weight from sodium happens due to increased sodium intake, not constant sodium intake.
  • BossReyes
    Options

It your sodium is always over, and so you haven't had extra sodium, then it's not water retention form the sodium, otherwise you would be constantly gaining water weight.

The additional water weight from sodium happens due to increased sodium intake, not constant sodium intake.

That's not necessarily true. She could've gone over one day more then the other. Some are very sensitive to sodium.
  • mjbiggestloser
    Options
    Your body has determined the jump down was too much and put you into starvation mode. You'll have to increase your calories if you want to lose weight. Counter intuitive, but it's how the body instinctively works. Plus if you increase it by eating (raw) fruits and veggies, you'll increase your nutrition, fiber and a whole bunch of goodies your body loves so it will work with you and you'll also feel fuller.
  • BossReyes
    Options
    Your body has determined the jump down was too much and put you into starvation mode. You'll have to increase your calories if you want to lose weight. Counter intuitive, but it's how the body instinctively works. Plus if you increase it by eating (raw) fruits and veggies, you'll increase your nutrition, fiber and a whole bunch of goodies your body loves so it will work with you and you'll also feel fuller.

Please do not listen to this person.
    Your body does not go into starvation mode unless you're not meeting your requirements for nutrition which is generally less then 800-1200 calories depending on your exercise level.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    A diet of carbs and sugar will make you retain water. I'd try to change what you are eating little by little to more whole foods.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I don't think she's going into metabolic stall @ 1,800 calories unless she's only eating 1,800 calories and then burning off a grand with exercise and not eating them back...even then, metabolic stall takes more than a week or two...it happens over a sustained period of time of netting below your BMR.

OP...I don't know exactly what your figures are, but I would think your TDEE is in the 1,800 to 2,000 range, so you're probably eating pretty close to maintenance without excessive exercise. Also, it doesn't appear that you would have too much to lose, so you may have a difficult go of it. Maybe just more reistance training to tone up. Remember also that you're feeding another human being, so you do need to eat a bit so that both of you are getting the proper nutrition.
  • alanahbastion
    Options
    my diet has a lot of sugar carbs and sodium :/ i was eating really clean and eating 2000 calories +working out hard ,but lately i havnt been working out and eating clean i thought id counteract it but lowering my intake :( guess clean eating and exercise really does change more than normal eating and minimal exercise ,need to get back to the gym need motivation!!
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Glycogen or water weight.

You're fine... Stop listening to non-sense.

Just because you're sodium intake is constant doesn't mean that you couldn't have had some extra potassium to balance the fluids in your body.