'On the go' food help needed!!

Options
Hi my day starts at 5am when i get up and have breakfast and I leave for work at 6am. My job working with dementia patients is stressful and hectic and breaks are taken as & when we can fit them in. I am not able to fit in a meal break until 11am and then it is very often 'on the go' so it needs to be a meal that is already prepared as the maximum time i can have is 20 minutes. The break is often interrupted so needs to be cold food that i can come back to. I get home about 3pm and have then to prepare a meal for dinner when my husband gets home at 5 so don't really want to eat until then. I need ideas for healthy, filling snacks that i can eat quickly whilst i'm working to keep me going until dinner. Anyone got any ideas??

Replies

• mandimuscles
    mandimuscles Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I use Luna bars as a staple sometimes when I need something quick on the go!
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, yogurt, nuts, a half sandwich, veggies and hummus, cheese, piece of fruit with nut butter. I have a snack drawer at work filled with prepacked nuts and minimally processed fruit and nut bars (like Lara, Kind bars), it helps.
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My job used to be like this and I'd prepare something like Tuna with lots of chopped up veggies (not really a salad but that type of thing), you can pick it up whenever and pop it back in the fridge. I used to prepare it whilst I was doing the evening meal for the next day, easy to snack on and good as lunch

Oh and I second the hard boiled eggs suggestion
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I like almonds or mixed healthy nuts. I keep about 2 hundred calories worth in a small container .. sometimes I eat them in one swoop as a snack, sometimes a few at a time throughout the day.
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, yogurt, nuts, a half sandwich, veggies and hummus, cheese, piece of fruit with nut butter. I have a snack drawer at work filled with prepacked nuts and minimally processed fruit and nut bars (like Lara, Kind bars), it helps.

^^^^ what she said.

i do HIGHLY recommend Balance Bars they are faaaaaaantastic!!!!
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Bag of carrot batons. Quite filling and also a bit sweet. Plus some supermarkets sell mini pots of hummus etc.
    Bananas (my answer to most things. I love bananas.)
    Bag of grapes
    Muesli bars, but check the label, some are scarily high in sugar which is just empty carbs
    Cans of soup, assuming you have a microwave?
  • pboroaddick
    pboroaddick Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Try using a "wrap", you can make up the night before. For ideas look at "Hairy Dieters" recipe for Tuna wrap - only 300 cals as well and very filling.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs, veg sticks a hummus, small tubs of cottage cheese, plain yogurts with a handful of berries, all fruits, protein shake, nuts and seeds, cold cuts of meat with cherry toms wrapped in a lettuce leaf.
  • narwhalicorn
    Options
    Boost High Protein shakes. I work long, hectic shifts and sometimes I have to "eat" while still working. This is a life saver. I find it more affordable than other premade protein drinks, it keeps me going and staves off hunger for few hours. Watch out for the sugar though.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Savoury muffins, homemade muesli bars, yogurts, nuts, fruit, boiled eggs, chickpea or lentil salads made the night before.

Make your own seed and nut trail mix.

Stuffed mushrooms make a nice quick lunch.
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Veggies with hummus or tzatziki sauce, apple with a little peanut butter, cheese, hard boiled egg, a piece of any of these egg cassaroles
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/01/south-beach-diet-phase-one-breakfast.html?m=1
    I'm going to start making one of these every week so I have an easy grab and go breakfast

good luck!