Including whey protein in my diet?

Options
Hey all, I've been wondering if a whey protein would help or not in my calorie diet. I go to the gym daily and I have had mixed reviews on weather or not taking a whey supplement would be beneficial. Any thoughts?

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I really think that one only needs a protein supplement if they are severely protein deficient in their daily diet/calorie log. I am often 100 or more deficient unless I have a couple scoops of protein powder, especially on the days I work out.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I really think that one only needs a protein supplement if they are severely protein deficient in their daily diet/calorie log. I am often 100 or more deficient unless I have a couple scoops of protein powder, especially on the days I work out.

I agree with you, if you're getting enough protein through your diet, you don't need one. Isee too many people on the boards pushing protein shakes like it's water, just because you do a half hour workout doesn't mean that you need to down a protein shake...On my heavy workout days, I mix my protein powder into my chocolate milk, cause those days I don't even come close to my 200g of protein that my body needs. On my lighter days, I can meet my required protein needs through my food choices.
  • BigStupidFresh
    Options
    imafymrat you said you need 200g of protein? My calculator only says 84 is this correct? if that's the case I'm not getting anywhere near that. I'm confused...I guess my main question is would whey slow down my weight loss progress??
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    My training schedule is really intense, I also have my goals set for 50 protein 30 carb and 20 fat, this works for me when i'm trying to get my body fat count down for competition, on off days my protein g's will be around 110-120. Hope this helps. and yes if you do not get enough protein it can definitely hinder your results, especially when it comes to building muscle mass.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm on a "runner's diet" which recommends 40% carbs, 35% protein, and 25% fat. A day like today where I worked out hard, my diary wants me to have nearly 150 protein. I only got about half of that in, and supplemented with the powder. On off days, it's closer to 100. On a day I work out really hard, burning closer to 1,000 cals, the diary wants me to have closer to 200 protein. I use Natural Edge chocolate whey protein. I just mix it with water, and count it towards my water, and get 20g protein per scoop. Often I'll do 4-6 scoops a day. It's super important, though, to try and get one's protein from more natural sources (lean meat, dairy, etc)
  • Emorriso165
    Options
    I'm a lazy vegetarian, so if I'm doing heavy workouts (such as P90X) then I'll supplement with whey protein powder. It curbs my appetite and I actually love the chocolate protein powder mixed in with silks almond "milk", it's kind of my reward for a workout :)