Real Sugar Vs. Fake Sugar? HELP!

Options
So I absolutely cannot give up my coffee in the mornings and even worse is I cannot give up a little cream and sugar in my coffee. So my question is is it better to use the fake sugar (which Im kind of hesitant about anyway) or the real thing? I dont eat lots of sweets or junk food so I dont have a lot of added sugar in my diet. The sugar I consume comes from my milk or my fruit. Will this little bit of added sugar in the mornings be such a big deal? Advice or opinions please!! =)

Replies

• gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Stevia, not sugar but not fake. Look it up and see if it is for you. I like Truvia because it has granules like sugar so it has a nice taste and mouth feel.
  • DaBratIAm
    Options
    Try Stevia in the Raw. I only use half a packet because it seems even sweeter than sugar to me without the chemical aftertaste.
  • treecy1
    treecy1 Posts: 6
    Options
    This is according to Jillian Michaels Master your Metabolism book, but "fake" sugars like aspartame, really mess up your hormone levels which mess up your metabolism. I would go for the real thing.
  • hwhittle
    hwhittle Posts: 8
    Options
    hello :)...i just got back from the biggest loser resort at fitness ridge, and we had a whole lecture on this exact subject. The opinion of the professional dietician there is...real is better. Sugar or stevia ( which is all they serve there for a sweetener.) is better for your body to process. Stevia is made from plants so your body knows what to do with it. What she said about artificial sweeteners is, it is a foriegn chemical to the body, so, it in fact does not know what to do with it immediately and recent studies have shown it can have some negative effects on losing weight. The rule of thumb there is, natural is better. :) Good luck on your journey.
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I used to drink my morning coffee with with sugar or splenda too, but forced myself to do without. I got used to it after a week. I don't like the taste nearly as much, but it still does it's job.

I found that the artificial sweeteners caused issues for me that I didn't even realize until I cut them out of my diet, like headaches and skin issues. A lot of people like stevia, I tried it and thought it tasted like chemicals. So if I am going to sweeten something I use the real thing. One packet of the Sugar In the Raw is only 20 calories with 5 grams of sugar, and it is a pretty big packet!

Experiment with a few things to find out what works best for you.
  • cullensbrunette
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies!! I think I'll try Stevia or (maybe sugar in the raw) since thats what most people are recommending.