Any suggestions for a butter substitute?

Options
What is the best sub for butter? I mostly use it to cook up my eggs.

Replies

• LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    For cooking:::::

6414403064.jpg

For anything else::::

becelvegan.jpg
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    A pat of real butter is only 36 calories and is way more than enough to cook up a couple of eggs. I only use half a pat myself.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you do not want to use butter? When I'm making something that should have butter in it I accept no substitutes.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    You only need a very little butter for scrambled eggs. If you were using it for fried eggs why not swap to poached? I read a great tip for making mashed potato using stock instead of milk and butter.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Smart Balance makes some very healthy butter, mayo, and cooking oils. Their products are made mostly from good fats and they have been sanctioned by the American Heart Association as being the most heart-healthy, at least for their margarine.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I do love real butter first and foremost, but for something a bit lower in calories I like the Brummel and Brown spread.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute for butter. Butter is the bomb! That said, eggs get "fried" in cooking spray, the butter is on the toast. Margarine has no place at my house.
  • Babsie20
    Options
    I use the spray on butter. There's no calories and you can use for eggs but i also put it in pkgd potatoes for my family. I just pour out the amount needed and it tastes the same.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I use real butter only. Tastes better than any substitute, and has far fewer chemical additives than any substitute.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    What is the best sub for butter? I mostly use it to cook up my eggs.
    Bacon grease....:drinker:
  • kelleyannclemons
    kelleyannclemons Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Do you plan to use it to keep the eggs from sticking? I received the "Orgreenic" pan for Christmas and find that I really don't need oil or butter to cook a lot of items...eggs included.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil. And butter (or ghee, which is clarified butter). Don't use fake chemicals, go for the real stuff.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    After reading that margarine is only 1 ingredient away from plastic and has 27 ingredients in common with paint, well, I'm not going to be eating it once it is all out of the house.

I use PAM for eggs as well.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I use the spray on butter. There's no calories and you can use for eggs but i also put it in pkgd potatoes for my family. I just pour out the amount needed and it tastes the same.

What spray on butter are you using? If it's the one I think you mean then it does have calories. Labeling regulations allow designated something as 0 calories "per serving" if it has less than (I believe) 5 calories in the prescribed serving size. A serving size of that butter is one squirt or whatever. If you're pouring it into your potatoes you are likely using more than one squirt and there are calories in it.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Make sure you pay attention to the serving size on the bottle of this stuff. It's not ZERO calories when you POUR it out. You might as well use real butter.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I don't use a lot of butter because I don't use a lot of added fats. That's strictly about the calories.
    Even so, 1 tsp of butter makes those eggs ever so much better and I don't care to give it up.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute for real butter. That's like asking "what's a good substitute for bacon?" There is no substitute. :D
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options

There are no calories PER SERVING, which is 5 sprays. By law they are allowed to say that it is zero calories because it's under 5, but their serving size is actually 4 calories. No big deal really, but if you add it all up, there are 226 servings per bottle, which equals roughly 904 calories. It's hardly calorie-free, but if you use it sparingly the calories are negligible.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    For cooking any spray will do but I don't skip butter if it is for more of a taste factor. Just use less, try a flavored oil brushed on the pan for fun flavors