how to measure myself? clueless.... help plz

Options
i just went n bought a measure tape to measure myself but have no idea how to use properly......plz help how to measure myself

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Here's one web site with the basic info:

http://www.gpuniforms.com/apages/how_to_measure.html.

I hope it helps. BJB
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I measure my chest above the boobs, bicep, wrist, waist, hips, thighs, calves and since joining MFP I measure my neck. With my food program you take your hips + thigh - both calves - wrist which equals % of body fat. Then I calculate fat weight and lean muscle mass. Hope this helps. Be sure to measure in the same place each time.:flowerforyou:
  • kalebsmama07
    Options
    ow do i make sure i measure my self in the same place?????
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    measuring yourself in the same place is easy...just use reference points. i measure myself like this :

neck--right at where my adam's apple would be

bicep-- i use my dominate arm (right) and do it with the arm relaxed and at the widest point, my arm is resting along my side

chest--i put the tape around at nipple level ( lord i hope those don't move):ohwell:

waist-- i put the tape at belly button level

hips-- i put my hands on my hips and measure there some do the tops of the thighs but i measure at the top of my pelvic bowl

thigh-- i use my right and do the widest area....kinda like the bicep. also i make sure my foot is on the floor but the thigh is relaxed

calf-- same as thigh and arm, widest part

it'll get easier....i set up an excel sheet so i could track the measurements and see the progress from each part. you could just

write them down in columns to help you see which parts have changed. good luck and i'm always looking to add friends if

you'd like :flowerforyou:
  • hwhittle
    hwhittle Posts: 8
    Options
    Hello :)...a trick i learned for arms and thighs is measure 6 inches down from top of shoulder, and 6 inches up from top of knee. belly button, and hips shouldnt change altitude (heehee) so that is pretty safe to measure. Calfs, you can also measure from the knee cap down, most likely will be around 6 inches to widest part of calf. Good luck :)
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I just read all the responses---"let me count the ways!" If you go to a gym, they can give you advice on measuring.
    While everyone is sharing: Measure in front of a mirror, so you can see the measuring tape is horizontal to the ground.
    - My waist is the smallest part of my trunk, a couple of inches above my belly button.
    - My abdomen is the part right at the tip top of the wide hip bone (the ilium).
    - The widest part of my hips is the largest part, both back and sides (the largest part of the rear end, on around the top part of the thighs to the front, just above the pubic area.
    - To measure for a bra is the same as measuring your breasts--directly across the nipples, but not tight at all.
    - I measure the smallest part of my neck (which I have to measure several times to find. ;)
    - Calves, thighs, biceps are exactly as one person said--measure around at their largest point.
    I hope we all helped.
  • jzbaby626
    jzbaby626 Posts: 466
    Options
    Everyone does it different, whichever you choose just make sure you measure the same places everytime. Heres what I do:

-Neck
    -Both biceps at widest point (not making a muscle)
    -Upper Chest ( directly under arm pit--to see those little love handles dissappearing!)
    -Lower Chest (across the nipples)
    -Waist (smallest point)
    -Stomach (across belly button)
    -Hips (Widest point)
    -Left thigh
    -Right thigh
    -Both thighs together ( to check out saddlebag area)

You can keep track of all of these on MFP. Go to the "Check-in" section and "add measurements" and type the categories you want to add. Then you can go to the "Reports" section and you can see a chart of your progress in each area. Hope this helps.
  • Rhyssa6
    Rhyssa6 Posts: 33
    Options
    This topic has been really helpful. Thanks to whoever posted how to add more measurements for tracking.

I was tracking my bust, waist, hips, left thigh and bicep on paper but being able to track them on here is much better.
    I've also started tracking my abdomen (my tummy sticks out more than my boobs :( ) and now I'm going to track my upper chest too. I never would have thought of that and I really hate those little rolls that bulge over your bra.

I bought a Weight Watchers scale at Walmart yesterday and it also measures bone mass, body fat, water and BMI so I'm going to track those too.