Any suggestions for a butter substitute?

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    After reading that margarine is only 1 ingredient away from plastic and has 27 ingredients in common with paint, well, I'm not going to be eating it once it is all out of the house.

I use PAM for eggs as well.

SNOPES!
  • fawnapug
    fawnapug Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    to cook I use fatfree cooking spray, and land o lakes makes a light butter that is pretty good and taste good
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil

Yes!! The best!
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I like PAM for eggs. For other things, I like Land o'Lakes light butter with olive oil, or Earthbalance buttery spread with olive oil. I would actually use real butter, except that I don't like to leave it out so it's soft, and I use more if it's hard. These two spreads don't get as hard as butter does in my fridge.
  • like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just use less butter if you want to save on calories. Or poach your eggs, honestly, I think poached is my favourite way to eat eggs anyway.
  • 35khris
    35khris Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil or a little less butter. You can make your own 'Pam' by putting olive oil and water in a spray bottle.
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I use a half serving of extra virgin olive oil. That will be more calories than butter. I guess it depends on what characteristic of butter you are wanting to substitute.
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    smart balance... i actually like it better than butter
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    On toast with jam... lite cream cheese! YUM! or.. cream cheese and fresh strawberries on toast :)
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    What is the best sub for butter? I mostly use it to cook up my eggs.
    Bacon grease....:drinker:

omg. yes.
  • livelaughlove384
    Options
    my husband is a health nut freak, as butter substitutes we use, smart balance light, i can't believe it's not butter light and on occasion the "butter" spray. They are good substitutes if you're looking to take out some calories and fat! Best of Luck!
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    after doing some looking into things....I vote real butter....the reason=its real not a man made cancer causing substance that we cant pronounce what it is....yes you have to use less but thats ok- this too can be survived :) naturally seasoned olive oils are good on some things too.
  • amandasierweyant
    Options
    I use I can't believe its not butter spray for everything including cooking... it has nothing in it but tastes great!!!
  • mpdpolicewife
    Options
    Try Parkay spray butter...0 Calories and 0 fat...and it tastes pretty good!!!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Frying oils changes them. Butter is generally more stable than most cooking oils and therefore less likely to change into something carcinogenic. And oh yeah, it tastes better any day of the week.
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
    Butter macros aren't that far from margarine's, btw. And it tastes better and has a better texture/consistency, imo. I've tried olive oil, coconut oil, canola oil & that weird spray in my eggs... nothing tops butter. For two eggs I use about 1/4 to 1/2 tablespoon in a nonstick pan.
  • 2013james
    Options
    Another option is ripe avocado. Mash it and spread it thinly on toast. Tasty and very nutritious, full of good fats.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Another option is ripe avocado. Mash it and spread it thinly on toast. Tasty and very nutritious, full of good fats.

Yeah, I always fry my eggs in avocado...........