Need Exercise Tips

Options
Hey Fellow MFPers I need some help. I have a TFCC injury in my wrist (the tendon underneath the end of the Ulna bone in the wrist is injured) and I need some ideas for exercises for my wrist. I had surgery on it this past May and will have surgery on it again the next couple of weeks and I need ideas for exercises that I can do besides walking. I'm already planning on doing that but am wondering what else I can do. I am not wearing a brace or anything on my wrist at the moment but it just came out of being in a cast for 7 weeks this past Wednesday so it is still pretty stiff and very painful. After the surgery I am going to be in a combination of splint/cast above my elbow for a couple of weeks so I'll be even more limited as to the exercises that I can do, plus I don't want to have to get my arm too sweaty since I'm not sure how long I'm going to have to be in the cast. Any suggestions will be welcome!!!

Replies

• mtnyr
    mtnyr Posts: 9
    Options
    I love my Shawn T Dance Party DVD as there's nothing with your hands, it's just dancing. I would think Zumba or any other dance type of exercise would be good as well. Good luck!

PS: a personal trainer may also be able to suggest alternate exercises.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt work it out until you are done - if you do lift I would go light - really light - or just stick to cardio. You dont want to risk and injury upon injury and it screw you up for life!
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    writs curls, look for something you would turn like a dial. A dial that is almost as big as your hand. Then turn and the reps are determined by your injury.
    Don't have a dial of that size? Look at Walmart and buy something like a dumbell of maybe 8 pound size. The dumbell is NOT for lifting! Buy a rope long enough that goes from your chest to a little excess on the floor. Then go home, tie a bottle of house cleaner to one end and a knot on the dumbell end. Then with hands at the ends of the dumbell, turn the dumbell to lift the cleaner. The rope should wrap around the dumbell handle, naturally do the reverse. Do as many times as your wrist permits. pain means stop
  • amandasitton26
    Options
    Any movement with my wrist what so ever causes pain. About a month ago (while it was still in a cast) I did Just Dance with some friends, and halfway through the 2nd song I had to quit moving my arm all together the pain was too much - I have limited range of motion in it and have no strength in it at all.

Bocch - I'm not sure I follow what you're saying...

Oh and I found out today, the first available time the surgeon had available was February 11, so I still have at least 4 more months before I can really do anything with my wrist, and at that point I'll prob be starting physical therapy!